Command & Conquer 4K remaster coming

Soldato
Good tips @Duke

Just pulled the trigger on the game. Sooooo much nostalgia!

Loving it :D

Forgot about how many infantry you can mow down with one vehicle using force move.

A few bugs, they really do need to sort the AI bugs people have previously mentioned. They could even have a switch with the old AI vs the improved mechanics.

They added a few quality of life RTS improvements, but they seemed to forget the way point from barracks one, it would be nice if they added that.

It's neat watching the old video cut scenes too, it's funny, not many big games do real recorded video these days do they? They all try to pump out crazy unreal engine cut scenes, but I love the IRL ones, even if they are cheesy or greenscreened. I'd love to see that come back!

Promising so far, but it does need work to be a smash hit reboot.

Soldato
Waypoint from barracks was never a thing from the original c&c / ra from memory.
I know it is in OpenRA but that also has ai issues sorted (e.g. harvester pathfinding)

I agree in the videos, i would welcome back actual videos. It probably costs more to hire (low budget) actors that it does to create them in cgi

Soldato
For anyone doing GDI 11A (Delphi), I just ignored the three turrets and took the grenadiers and MCV diagonally to the top right then towards the right and set up camp by the tib. There is only one light tank on the way which you can distract long enough to start the base. After sealing myself in (classic C&C :p) you can hoover up the resources and build up an army. There isn't a huge amount of tib so I stuck the game speed on highest and left it for a while and the field was back :D

Using Orcas to keep them at bay, hence the double wall as its easily blown up by mistake.

Couple of things to remember for old and new players...

- You can sell units by putting them on the repair bay and clicking the sell icon, it will turn green to show you will be selling the unit and not the repair bay itself.
- You can stop the AI rebuilding things if a unit is in the location its trying to rebuild. The AI is quite dumb and won't just rebuild it somewhere else.
- As shown above the AI won't attack wall, so use it to block them, you or civilians in/out of areas of the map.
- You can build off wall and there is no limit on how far the wall can be built. For example you could build a sandbag wall all the way to the other side of the map and extend you base from it. You don't need to keep all of the wall, you only need one in place to build off although it can be risky if it gets blown up by mistake as you'll have to start from the beginning again if so.
- Place Dr Mobius in an APC to protect him further if needed.
- Use the X key to spread troops out, stops them being squished so easily.
- Frequently save the game. About to attack their base in campaign? Save before doing so in case you need to build up more stuff or use another strategy.
- Single trees can be blown up if you need to build there. Force fire (hold ctrl down and click) and use rocket men or tanks to blow them up. Off the top of my head I don't think you can blow up the groups of trees you get in some places.

Any other tips?

These are good tips, walls can also be used to pen them in base or keep their harvester out of base as well.

Soldato
I can smash the AI on hard during skirmish no problems at all. Even 2-3 allied enemies depending on the map. I am playing the campaign on normal and I am swearing a lot tho :D Ive finished GDI and am now stuck on NOD. Forgot the mission, maybe 10 or 11 - my forces are split on two sides of the map with the ruddy gun boat roaming across the middle. Air strikes do me in each time.

So far, loving it. It's just how I remember, quirky.

Soldato
Finished GDI last night and also done some skirmish since.

Updates on the AI balance/cheating.

I think casual is normal damage output for enemy same as OG.
Normal they have a buff to damage output or you have a nerf to hit points.
Skirmish they still cheat on production speed, especially when they got multiple production buildings, they can have 2 units appear at once. Also when I started next to then on skirmish I could see they cheat on building's building speed as well. (on casual)
They also repair faster.
On gdi mission 15, they never ran out of cash even with no refinery/silo left.
Also if I remember right in the OG gdi mission 15 you only get nuked once, in this they can use it again.
Skirmish normal vs casual, they built the exact same buildings, same amount of harvesters, same types of units. The main difference is on normal there focus fire more, pick on the units that are the most expensive to lose e.g. missile launchers vs medium tank, and that they rush with everything at start. Once you ride out that early disadvantage it felt no different to casual other than the fact your units die quicker.

Also on the size of the game, if you check the bonus gallery, it shows footage of all their takes made during game production, these are much longer clips at better quality, now the game size makes a bit of sense. e.g. that female news reporter at the end her clip is 25 mins long.

Also a tip to expand on the blocking enemy replacing buildings. On GDI mission 15 I observed one of the turrets in the middle of nowhere was getting replaced when destroyed, so I placed a grenadier over the spot. Then I noticed they were not replacing "any" buildings, they sent an artillery to kill the grenadier, the turret appeared and then other buildings started been rebuilt, I destroyed the turret again and put a new infantry there and then al building production ceased again, so not only does it stop the building been replaced on that spot, it stops all buildings as I assume they have a build queue and they just stop at that point.

Last edited:
Associate
I’m loving this remaster but it is just highlighting just how good Total Annihilation was in my mind, that came out in a year after Red Alert and STILL looks better than this remaster lol. It also has stuff this game still doesn’t such as construction waypoints and ultra widescreen support, if they ever want to release a remaster for that bad boy they just need to add a zooming camera.

Man of Honour
I’m loving this remaster but it is just highlighting just how good Total Annihilation was in my mind, that came out in a year after Red Alert and STILL looks better than this remaster lol. It also has stuff this game still doesn’t such as construction waypoints and ultra widescreen support, if they ever want to release a remaster for that bad boy they just need to add a zooming camera.
Yeah TA was a great game too and was technically a better engine but it doesn't have the charm, cinematic and music that imo makes C&C more enjoyable.

Who put those sandbags there?

Man of Honour
Any of you have a Linux partition and wanna just hop over and confirm it works in Proton before I drop my money on it? ;)

Sadly it didn't work on Linux. The first screen comes up but then it crashes. There may be a simple fix but it didn't work for me.

Kubuntu 19.10
3900X
32gb
Radeon VII

A further update... it works! :D

I noticed on ProtonDB that most people said it was working out of the box. I then saw one person say it crashed for them in the same place as mine and they got it working by adding this launch option:

PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 %command%

So I tried it and it works perfectly for me now.

Associate
Yeah TA was a great game too and was technically a better engine but it doesn't have the charm, cinematic and music that imo makes C&C more enjoyable.
TA is miles ahead of anything C&C did in my opinion. The music is some of the best in any game thanks to Jeremy Soule.

Soldato
TA is miles ahead of anything C&C did in my opinion. The music is some of the best in any game thanks to Jeremy Soule.

I am a huge fan of both games, but I agree, in terms of gameplay Total Annihilation is still unsurpassed in many areas, after all these years. You can play the game now and there will be little to differentiate the game in terms of gameplay with any of the newer games, that is sadly, not the case with C&C. The music in TA is also tremendous, although I wouldn't say it is better than C&C. Just different.

The story in TA was pants and there was only one cinematic, so really in that respect C&C is leaps and bounds better than TA.

Back
Top Bottom