Decided to go proper for once.

Soldato
So, I've never been too fussy with bike stuff, I was quite happy with my Carrera (upgraded with 105 5700 and a stages power meter), I was plodding along, went from 15-20 miles 4 days a week commuting to 30 mile minimum rides and up to 60 with hills due to lockdown.

My carrera died on me (crack in the headtube) I've hammered this back for a good 12 years.

So I've gone with a Trek Emonda SL 5 2020 Disc

https://www.evanscycles.com/trek-emonda-sl-5-disc-2020-road-bike-EV369958

In the meantime I've borrowed a Sabbath September of a friend (bit worse for wear) will clean this up and should be fine.

I'M 5FT 10 but I've gone with the 52cm, always had an issue with frame size, 56 deffo too small, 54 a bit niggly, this "52cm" actually is more like 53.5 and very similar to a 54cm reach and stack wise.

I just have to hope it's in stock, hearing horror stories of Evans Cycles, but it's the purple and that isn't the most popular in stock and is in warehouse, so fingers crossed I have it this week, hydraulics I am excited to use!

Soldato
Nice one. Glad the lockdown nonsense has allowed you the time to enjoy it some more :)

I'm glad to see you've done some homework on the sizing of the Trek because I immediately worried when I seen 5ft 10 and 52cm, not gonna lie!

Enjoy it pal and be sure to keep involved in the road cycling thread on here as it is a good bunch of nutters.

Soldato
OP
Hope you got your numbers wrong... As if 56 is too small, 54 a bit niggly and then went for a 52 really gave me a WTF?! moment.

My Carrera was a 56cm, it had a 7cm stem on, and I had the saddle pushed as far forward as possible, my planet x was a 54cm, which was sort of right but still had niggles, the 52cm trek is 53.4, I'm going of the stack and reach to determine if a bike is suitable.

You can get a smaller frame to fit as opposed to a bike that is too large. The pros are running bikes as small as they can get away with.

See this comparison with my planet z x

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnvSU3cnBZfNgblJIJU8zJxoTLt0qA

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom