BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
I'm thinking about moving from VM to BT 900 fibre, does anyone know if the installation engineers would be prepared to drill through an internal brick wall? I ask as my Virgin hub is in the back room with my TV, and the current cable entry hole into the room can't be used as it's behind a skirting board.

Caporegime
Fibre at 50Mbit? Don’t be silly. If it’s that slow it’s bog standard FTTC at upto 80/20.
If you're an FTTP-only build then you can buy the slower tiers delivered over FTTP. If the 50Mbps figure was being presented as the fastest offering then yes it going to be FTTC.

It's a shame that TalkTalk etc. are so slow to get into the FTTP game because sub-£30 80Mbps tiers are going to be what drives the deployment further and makes FTTP the default choice of technology, rather than just assuming it's just for the more premium products.

uw9TDZj.png

Soldato
I'm thinking about moving from VM to BT 900 fibre, does anyone know if the installation engineers would be prepared to drill through an internal brick wall? I ask as my Virgin hub is in the back room with my TV, and the current cable entry hole into the room can't be used as it's behind a skirting board.
Openreach install a separate modem (an ONT) that doesn't need to be with the router, you could just run an ethernet cable to the router then.

Soldato
Fibre at 50Mbit? Don’t be silly. If it’s that slow it’s bog standard FTTC at upto 80/20.

Nonsense. BT are offering 50Mb full fibre to people. My mum is able to get it after her street was connected up with fibre, even though her street was previously FTTC. They are 100% offering 50Mb over actual real fibre.

The same applies to my road as well.

Associate
If you're an FTTP-only build then you can buy the slower tiers delivered over FTTP. If the 50Mbps figure was being presented as the fastest offering then yes it going to be FTTC.

It's a shame that TalkTalk etc. are so slow to get into the FTTP game because sub-£30 80Mbps tiers are going to be what drives the deployment further and makes FTTP the default choice of technology, rather than just assuming it's just for the more premium products.

uw9TDZj.png
I’m with talk talk gig up and down 27 quid a month. Talk talk are in the game. Look up talk talk ufo.

Soldato
Nonsense. BT are offering 50Mb full fibre to people. My mum is able to get it after her street was connected up with fibre, even though her street was previously FTTC. They are 100% offering 50Mb over actual real fibre.

The same applies to my road as well.

Did you miss that BT rebranded it’s FTTC service as Fibre Essential/1/2 late last month? Actual FTTP fibre is marketed as ‘Full Fibre’ or Fibre 100/250 etc. rather than the old Ultrafast 1/2. Yes the 100 product has an average speed of 145 and the 250 average is 300, but that’s another story. The stated average speeds of ‘Fibre Essential’ are 36/9.5, 1 is 50/9.5 and 2 is 63/18, do those speeds Seem familiar at all?

As to fibre re-grades/availability of legacy profiles in FTTP only areas, that’s a separate issue entirely and clearly wasn’t what was being offered to op as they specifically state Fibre 1, if BT could offer a faster package, they would make a point of saying so as Caged’s post shows, they rarely specifically market the lower speed plans even where they are available as they would prefer to offer you a deal on a faster package as the wholesale cost difference is minimal over 12 months.

Last edited:
Soldato
Did you miss that BT rebranded it’s FTTC service as Fibre Essential/1/2 late last month? Actual FTTP fibre is marketed as ‘Full Fibre’ or Fibre 100/250 etc. rather than the old Ultrafast 1/2. Yes the 100 product has an average speed of 145 and the 250 average is 300, but that’s another story. The stated average speeds of ‘Fibre Essential’ are 36/9.5, 1 is 50/9.5 and 2 is 63/18, do those speeds Seem familiar at all?

As to fibre re-grades/availability of legacy profiles in FTTP only areas, that’s a separate issue entirely and clearly wasn’t what was being offered to op as they specifically state Fibre 1, if BT could offer a faster package, they would make a point of saying so as Caged’s post shows, they rarely specifically market the lower speed plans even where they are available as they would prefer to offer you a deal on a faster package as the wholesale cost difference is minimal over 12 months.
I'm not talking about fibre essential. Actual real fibre is available at below 100Mb at my address and my mum's a few miles away.

Associate
I'm not talking about fibre essential. Actual real fibre is available at below 100Mb at my address and my mum's a few miles away.

Agreed, the lowest FTTP package that BT Consumer sell is a 50 mbps product. Its the second item on the screenshot posted above, easy to tell the difference due to the guaranteed speed (specifically it says 50-50).

Also the Fibre 2 product is also FTTP (if FTTP is available) confusingly given the name of the Fibre 100 product.

Soldato
Sat waiting for the engineer now.
I'm mostly nervous about his reaction to wanting the cable under the crawl space even though I'll pull it through.
Should be the easiest job ever, push cable through air brick, and the other end will magically appear in the understairs cupboard right next to my networking equipment.

Back
Top Bottom