BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
How thick is the fiber cable? Hope the holes i have are big enough.

The fibre that's connected to the ONT is about 2mm, the external part of that cable is about 4mm. One end of that cable is pre-terminated, the other end gets spliced into a connection box that was installed right by where the fibre comes out of the duct.

This is the connection box:
52FLiSZ.jpg

The left hand cable is the fibre that goes off to the ONT, middle cable is the fibre coming from the duct and the right hand cable is a 4 core OM-3 fibre that connects the switches in the study (where the ONT is) and lounge (where the VDSL modem was) together.

Last edited:
Soldato
The fibre that's connected to the ONT is about 2mm, the external part of that cable is about 4mm. One end of that cable is pre-terminated, the other end gets spliced into a connection box that was installed right by where the fibre comes out of the duct.
Mine will be via the poles. Either size will fit so that's good, wonder why they do the splice? See if they can run the 4mm right up to the ONT.

Soldato
What's the purpose of the external box.

I wonder if that's the point where they claim ownership and everything else and the ONT is classed as extension wiring.
Or is all the way up to the ONT classed as openreach property.

Soldato
So if the ONT goes faulty it's a free fix. Good to know.

Getting impatient now, still no sign of them, up to 1pm so a while to go yet.

Soldato
Yeah, anything up to and including the ONT is the responsibility of Openreach.

I had a few emails from BT today, the most recent one said the engineer was due very soon and then about 5 minutes later he arrived. Have you not been given the engineer contact details yet?

Soldato
He just phoned said hes behind a bit so it will be about 1pm, then get a barrage of emails and texts saying hes just around the corner.

I dont know why im excited really, the extra speed wont make all that much difference yet. Downloading PSN and steam games will be where it makes the most difference. Do all our TV through streaming so hope that will be a bit more reliable.
And to be finally rid of the naf plusnet router that constantly refuses to hand out IPs correctly will be the best thing.

Caporegime
The external splice point is being used as I believe Openreach were seeing too many faults occurring with the premade cables. So a connectorised fibre goes in to the manifold thing, it's spliced on the house onto another cable that already has a connector on one end, and that plugs into the ONT. Also means there's no need to go inside people's houses and disrupt decorating to replace a damaged external fibre.

RJC

RJC

Don
The external splice point is being used as I believe Openreach were seeing too many faults occurring with the preterminated cables

When I had mine installed the chap said the same thing, he mentioned he went to one house a few times to do a repair.

Soldato
All done. He was saying you wouldn't believe the amount of people having the 900 package then complaining when they don't get that speed and it's always that they're using nothing but WiFi.

Did a good job, put everything where I asked them to. Removed all the old cabling.

Annoyingly the smart hub 2 still doesn't let you set your own DNS.

x489DYc.jpg

UAS0ydf.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom