• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
I actually don't think the cooler looks that bad tbh.

The issue here if you going to redesign a GPU cooler this much they has to be a lot of reduction in heat away from the GPU to make it worthwhile from a standard DUAL Fan design or a Ref blower.

Why now?
Who knows till it's tested they might be something in this design.

Caporegime
Do people actually buy the founders cards? What's the point? They are always worse /noisier coolers than the AIBs. If genuine then this one looks prettier than most but still why would you not wait for AIBs?
Some people don't want to or can't wait and will always pre-order to get them on release.

Soldato
On that we agree, AMD need the raw perf and price to embarrass Nvidia not simply under cut them by a few %

Was going to respond to Melmac's post but am convinced he's arguing for the sake of argument now.

First point I agree on. AMD have to have better GPUs not just best bang for buck GPUs.

Second point. Your whole post that I previously responded to was full of speculation and things that haven't made any difference to GPU market share before.

AMD will only win Market share if their GPUs offer better performance than Nvidia's GPUs at the various price levels. And they have to have a solid launch.

Since we don't know what the performance of Nvidia's GPUs are going to be or what the performance of AMD's GPUs are going to be. We don't have any idea of the prices either. So how can you possibly make any predictions on who will lose or gain Market share.

Caporegime
First point I agree on. AMD have to have better GPUs not just best bang for buck GPUs.

Second point. Your whole post that I previously responded to was full of speculation and things that haven't made any difference to GPU market share before.

AMD will only win Market share if their GPUs offer better performance than Nvidia's GPUs at the various price levels. And they have to have a solid launch.

Since we don't know what the performance of Nvidia's GPUs are going to be or what the performance of AMD's GPUs are going to be. We don't have any idea of the prices either. So how can you possibly make any predictions on who will lose or gain Market share.

I absolutely do not agree.. they are already getting market share by being as good as Nvidia at a cheaper price point. Not many people are expecting Big Navi to beat a 3080Ti in performance and to suggest that is their only way of getting more market share is just plain wrong.

Soldato
It appears that the Ampere cards will have the standard 3x DP and 1x HDMI. This disappoints me. I would like to see more ports. High end monitors already require two ports, so you can't have more than one. I wonder if a card with 5x mini-DP and 1x mini-HDMI would be possible?

Caporegime
was reading an article today that that cooler costs $150 to make.

These launch cards aren't gonna be cheap.

Interesting if not weird looking design. Both fans on it appear to be axial intake fans. They must be forcing air through a channel below the shroud and it gets exhausted at the opposite end. Still strange that the back of the card has a fan, unless it needs it to keep the rear components cool.

Soldato
It appears that the Ampere cards will have the standard 3x DP and 1x HDMI. This disappoints me. I would like to see more ports. High end monitors already require two ports, so you can't have more than one. I wonder if a card with 5x mini-DP and 1x mini-HDMI would be possible?

USB C would be cool too.

Soldato
Anyone think these will be pushed back to 2021? My 2080 ti (OC'd) is starting to show it's age at 3440x1440...

Debating getting a second one for sli if it's gonna be another year.

Soldato
Anyone think these will be pushed back to 2021? My 2080 ti (OC'd) is starting to show it's age at 3440x1440...

Debating getting a second one for sli if it's gonna be another year.
AMD are confirmed to be launching this year. So the question is, do you believe that Nvidia will allow AMD to have the performance crown for potentially upto two Quarters?

Current rumours on launch are yes it will be this year but with limited availability due to Nvidia under estimating how cosy AMD have gotten with TSMC.

bru

bru

Soldato
I actually don't think the cooler looks that bad tbh.

The issue here if you going to redesign a GPU cooler this much they has to be a lot of reduction in heat away from the GPU to make it worthwhile from a standard DUAL Fan design or a Ref blower.

Why now?
Who knows till it's tested they might be something in this design.

That is very true it might be an absolute cracker.

Caporegime
That is very true it might be an absolute cracker.

Doubting it given past efforts, the 2080ti cooler looked good but was average at best, really no different from a blower cooler in terms of temps. They also can't make it too good as it makes partner cards pointless, why pay an extra £100 or so for an asus strix card if their cooler is on only par with the "fe" counterpart.

Caporegime
The last couple of cards I have bought were Founders. I like the air exhausting straight out of the case.

Meh, they're good for that but you pay a penalty in terms of performance as the boost clocks won't be as high. Seems like nvidia are moving away from blower cards for their gaming range at least as it's getting to be too difficult for a single fan to be good in terms of acoustics and also trying to maintain the balancing act of how much do you sacrifice in terms of performance for a quieter card. It's obvious that "fe" cards are almost always clockspeed limited due to the cooler being more limited than what board partners can come out with.

Personally speaking i think the blower design outstayed its dubious welcome several years ago at least.

Caporegime
Do people actually buy the founders cards? What's the point? They are always worse /noisier coolers than the AIBs. If genuine then this one looks prettier than most but still why would you not wait for AIBs?

Yet they were made with better quality components than the AIB ones (until later better cards came out) and tended to overclock more than AIB ones.

Associate
I absolutely do not agree.. they are already getting market share by being as good as Nvidia at a cheaper price point. Not many people are expecting Big Navi to beat a 3080Ti in performance and to suggest that is their only way of getting more market share is just plain wrong.

If you read his post he said
AMD will only win Market share if their GPUs offer better performance than Nvidia's GPUs at the various price levels.

AMD will need a strong lineup across the board to gain any meaningful market share not just at high end which the average Joe doesn't really care about.

Back
Top Bottom