Just bought a Quest, unbelievable stand alone, bit crap with link.....might buy a Index as well

Associate
Been on the VR fence for a while, nearly ordered an Index a while back but there wasn't stock. Been watching the availability and saw the Quest was in stock at Argos so picked up a 128 version as I work away sometimes I thought I could fill it full of films.
Well that was yesterday and now Ive got the thing going in stand alone mode only....its some sort of witchcraft there is no way some phone chip is running that thing its nothing short of amazing, its jaw dropping...the creed boxing demo...lol my wife took it off screaming and wont play it again...beat saber different matter...loves it, and my boys 6 & 8 have abandoned Fortnite.

This is all before Ive tried the link...I have just had Mr Amazon drop off an Anker cable and the SW is DLing as I type.

I suspect its going to be great...

Well no, not really, for driving games pretty terrible really, and text is illegible, its just not very good linked to the PC, big disappointment, I expected a massive leap in visuals but if anything its worse than stand alone mode

but the untethered experience...worth the money on its own.

So it will do some of what I hoped ie something to do in a shipyard hotel for 3 months, but fails at beating my monitor for sims.

This leaves me thinking I should maybe get an Index for me and leave the quest for the kids and work trips

But I'm also left thinking I could live with out it, Index that is...or is Index really that much better?

Be good to hear from anybody who has both?

Last edited:
Soldato
Well no, not really, for driving games pretty terrible really, and text is illegible, its just not very good linked to the PC, big disappointment, I expected a massive leap in visuals but if anything its worse than stand alone mode

Yes i felt the same. Cant read the speedos in racing sims. The experience is good but the visuals need to be sharper.

However what spec is your pc? Because there are methods of increasing the visual sharpness called supersampling. My efforts to test this hit a wall because my gpu isnt good enough.

Caporegime
I broke a friend's VR cherry yesterday, and had him play Richie's and Robo Recall over Virtual Desktop, streamed by my 2700k + 5700 pc.

Why, those both have native Quest versions? Because they still look better from my PC even with stream compression.

Same problem with Arizona Sunshine, the native Quest version is like PS2 graphics.

Things where graphics aren't that important, like Beatsaber or Eleven Table Tennis then native all the way for latency and stuff.

Associate
Its soo good! I would definitely recommend trying virtual desktop loaded via sidequest - It's magic. My fav game to try currently is echo vr :) Loads of fun with a team.

Soldato
I've got a Quest and an Index and the Index is massively sharper, and has a wider FOV.

That's partly because the Index uses LCDs which have a higher density of subpixels, but also because Quest Link is a compressed image which will necessarily lose some detail.

However, even with link the Quest is still much sharper than first gen headsets like the Rift CV1 or HTC Vive, and Oculus is putting in the effort to improve the image quality on USB3 connections.

For me the Index is worth it just for the clarity in sims, especially Elite, though I do prefer the Oculus ecosystem as it's more polished and just works, while Index on Steam VR is more of a faff because you have to fiddle with refresh rates and supersampling on a per application basis to get the best out of it, due to the high resolution. I also prefer the Oculus touch controllers because the stick and button layout on the index controllers isn't as ergonomic.

Associate
You can use the quest utilities to bump up clarity on link games. If you have an AMD GPU I highly recommend AMDRelive Instead.

Soldato
IF you want a headset purely for Sims while connecting to a PC then I suggest you wait for the HP Reverb G2.

Another Option, if you want to save a bit of money, is the Rift S. It has a much sharper image than the Quest. has the advantage of been on the same Ecosystem as the Oculus Quest you already have.

Soldato
I have the Rift S for Stand up VR & Oculus exclusives and the Reverb for Sit Down \ Sim stuff.

The extra res and lcd pentile of the Reverb murders the Quest for clarity and as mentioned a new version is on the way. I'd lean that way if you want a 2nd tethered headset.

Ooh one thing with the Reverb of course you'll need a beefy GPU to run it.

Magnified comparisons of screens...

https://us.v-cdn.net/6024342/uploads/editor/ev/w560vgpthd5t.jpg

Nice video explaining the choices you have...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObnWFiaLL1o

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks, HP Reverb G2 looks pretty good...not 100% convinced though, due to the refresh rate vs the Index. If I'm going to splash out for another head set sooner rather than later it has to be great, not leave me wondering if I should have gone for the index after all...maybe some reviews will help when the G2 is released, but I think Im leaning more towards the index

Soldato
If you can mount the base stations, get an Index.

IMO its that simple.

Why when the G2 is going to have better visuals? Im sure the Index is great but for me the sharpness is critical. The G2 will be sharper than the index, it has to be, it has a newer higher resolution display. No reviews yet of course so would be wise to wait for those.

Soldato
Why when the G2 is going to have better visuals? Im sure the Index is great but for me the sharpness is critical. The G2 will be sharper than the index, it has to be, it has a newer higher resolution display. No reviews yet of course so would be wise to wait for those.

G2 will be sharper, but will require monster hardware to run at its best. Though the half-resolution mode should be a good compromise.

Soldato

Better refresh rate options
Better tracking
Better controllers with next generation control schemes and input methods
Better fov

would be some of the advantages

Soldato
And for the G2 Corner ;)....

https://www.roadtovr.com/hp-reverb-g2-hands-on-preview/
https://www.roadtovr.com/hp-reverb-g2-hands-on-preview-part-2/

When I fired up Half-Life: Alyx, coming from Index, the G2 nearly felt like looking at the game with new eyes. I was drawn to details that never caught my attention before, like scratches in the shotgun’s metal, letters printed on the side of the pistol, and innocuous stickers covering a gutter pipe. I also quickly noticed that many of the game’s textures don’t quite hold up to G2’s resolution (too soon!).

Soldato
I dont understand this feature - why buy the top resolution headset to run at half resolution. Not sure what difference between this is a turning down SS?

One of the biggest problems with VR displays is the screen door effect (SDE). If you can run at half resolution to keep performance up, but without SDE, then that's better than running on a headset with similar resolution to the G2's half res mode but which has much more noticable SDE.

Back
Top Bottom