The OCUK Whisky (and Whiskey) review thread

Man of Honour
Not a whisky but I tried some cognac today - Hennessy XO.

Coming from whisky, cognac is weird. It’s grape based rather than grain and is therefore comparatively fruity. Completely difference process in making it.... nothing like whisky in that regard but as children we all saw these drinks in grandma’s cabinet and bundled them together in our minds :p

Christmas pudding is exactly what I’d describe it to be like. No doubt because of the ‘brandy’ sauce. Was a little woody. A pleasant sipper. Don’t have too much more to say - don’t think I’ll be plumping for a bottle of cognac anytime soon, as it very much felt like an ‘acquires taste’ at this moment and I’m not sure how much I liked it.

Soldato
then my friend you need to try the Bunnahabhain PX - aged in pedro ximenez sherry casks. If you've had PX sherry you'll know it's not the average sherry but is Christmas flavours, treacle, marzipan, and all things good in a thick sticky sherry form. It all transfers nicely across to the whisky and the two marry perfectly. It's definitely a whisky, but with all the hallmarks you'd expect from a PX. They only do it in limited runs now and then, so if you see it grab it while you can. An excellent christmas present if ever there was one! I'm rationing the one I got now as they haven't produced one for the last couple of years sadly :( (and trust me I've looked)

This is the one: https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiski...ar-old-2003-pedro-ximenez-cask-finish-whisky/
bunnahabhain-14-year-old-2003-pedro-ximenez-cask-finish-whisky.jpg

edit: It was about £83 quid at the time. Cracked it open straight away, shared it out with guests etc.. I shudder to think what it would be worth if I'd kept it sealed instead. But then whisky is for drinking not collecting IMO so maybe don't tell me hey?

Last edited:
Soldato
shame is it's not a patch on what it used to be though - the newer 12 releases just aren't as good :(
I can't speak for what it used to be, but I still love it. I've just cracked open (well, Sunday night, not 11:35am on a Tuesday :p) my Ardbeg Ugge and it reminds me a lot of the Bunnah 12. In that, it's like a Bunnah 12 on steroids. There's meaty peat, not so much as the 10 but it's beautifully rounded with the sherry finish. Very special, and I should think so too for the £60.

I shudder to think what it would be worth if I'd kept it sealed instead. But then whisky is for drinking not collecting IMO so maybe don't tell me hey?
Indeed. I have an empty Hibiki bottle on the fireplace that was probably £35 when it was bought for me a good few years ago. I see it's now £400 odd :o Silly...

Soldato
Do you want a shocker? When I got married we were given a bottle of 30yo something or other from a now closed distillery. We googled it. £275. Wow. They got a big thank you. We opened it and shared it with close friends in the post wedding weeks of thanking various folks etc. After a year or two we got down to about 1 inch left in the bottle a year or so ago. Decided we might like another and ok £275 is wayyy more than we'd usually spend but it's a one off and has a length to it like nothing else we've encountered etc so ok. Go online to find another. £1500 and it's only going up... I wonder if the person who gave it to us intended us to hang onto it as some kind of investment rather than drink it. Did they get our thank you note and cry in despair?

Soldato
I'm developing an interest in whisky. No real preferences in taste, just like trying different ones. Bought a Glenfarclas 10, which is lovely,,Tammavulin which is pretty good and just ordered a Bunnahabhain Stiùireadair.

I'm not really delving into more expensive bottles at the moment and I know taste is subjective, but can anyone recommend some interesting bottles at the lower end?

The Ardbeg 10 is great. The best thing I've found around that price point is the Lagavulin Game of Thrones whisky though (I think it's House Lannister). Ignore the GoT branding - you're picking up a good Lagavulin at £40.

Soldato
I never got to try the GoT range. Was thinking off going to a tasting event but it got pulled due to covid and unless there's a set of miniature samples available I won't be able to justify buying any of them

Associate
then my friend you need to try the Bunnahabhain PX - aged in pedro ximenez sherry casks. If you've had PX sherry you'll know it's not the average sherry but is Christmas flavours, treacle, marzipan, and all things good in a thick sticky sherry form. It all transfers nicely across to the whisky and the two marry perfectly. It's definitely a whisky, but with all the hallmarks you'd expect from a PX. They only do it in limited runs now and then, so if you see it grab it while you can. An excellent christmas present if ever there was one! I'm rationing the one I got now as they haven't produced one for the last couple of years sadly :( (and trust me I've looked)

You should really look at having a trip to Islay and a visit to the distillery. I went there this time last year straight off the ferry to book a tour for later in the week. After about an hour spent chatting and being given samples my wife had to drive me to the cottage and I'd not spent a thing. The warehouse 9 tasting is great and well worth the money. It also gives you access to bottle your own versions straight from the casks you've tried which tend to include a couple of sherry casks. The px was good but I came away with a couple of bottles that were aged in Palo Cortado casks for 11 years.

Soldato
Do you want a shocker? When I got married we were given a bottle of 30yo something or other from a now closed distillery. We googled it. £275. Wow. They got a big thank you. We opened it and shared it with close friends in the post wedding weeks of thanking various folks etc. After a year or two we got down to about 1 inch left in the bottle a year or so ago. Decided we might like another and ok £275 is wayyy more than we'd usually spend but it's a one off and has a length to it like nothing else we've encountered etc so ok. Go online to find another. £1500 and it's only going up... I wonder if the person who gave it to us intended us to hang onto it as some kind of investment rather than drink it. Did they get our thank you note and cry in despair?
Whisky is for drinking. Maybe if it was like 10k now but I'm pretty sure that would have been intended to be boshed. And if you did so with close friends, savoured it, and were willing to spend 275 for another bottle then everyone is a winner.

Man of Honour
Whisky is more certainly for drinking but nevertheless I’m on a little collecting spree for the imminently to be released bottles from Waterford Distillery. I’ve bagged myself a bottle of the very first bottling (I actually booked plane tickets to get it) and a couple of bottles of the general releases.... but they’ve gone and made one bottle of the four ‘Ireland only’ at the last minute. ****! No chance of getting that in the current climate, grr!

Associate
Any recommendations for a Whiskey for ~£100 to give as a 50th birthday gift?

I know he likes whiskey, but not sure on specifics, so I guess if there is a "safe" option that would be agreeable with most that would be good.

Soldato
Safe isn't as easy as people think.

If you have access to their house, have a look through what they have already, it will narrow things down a lot (Bourbon or Sherry, Country or Region, Peated?) etc...

Rather than a bottle, you could try putting together some samples instead.
Admittedly at 50yrs of age you won't find many single malts in that price range in sample form but if they really appreciate whiskey, it will put a smile on their face as its something they are unlikely to ever find as a bottle (without paying £2k).
Or, get a selection of older samples adding up to what you want to spend/

I've ordered my dad a bottle of 15yr old Redbreast for Fathers Day which is a very good Irish Whiskey for £75. Its one he really likes but won't buy for himself.

Soldato
Isn't Macallan quite a safe bet for 50 year old men? ;)

You could try here; https://www.masterofmalt.com/fathers-day/start/0,0/

or my suggestion would be to go for an indie bottling. At least you know it'll be different than anything he's presumably tried. In my experience when people buy me whisky I'd like them to buy something either new/different or something from one of the distilleries I know/like that is above my usual spending power. E.g. a 15/18/21yr when I know and like the 10/12yr.

Man of Honour
It’s a bit boring, but I think he might appreciate being asked “mate - want to get you a nice whisky but a surprise. Is there anything you DON’T like?”

I keep on going on about it because I really like it, but Octomore 6.1 is £125 a bottle and yummy. Pretty much as smokey as it gets though so if he doesn’t like that it would be terrible for him.

Much cheaper but this is nice and I‘d buy it again https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p...MIhPKDso2J6gIV5IBQBh0buAPeEAQYAiABEgJoNPD_BwE

Associate

I know he likes whiskey, but not sure on specifics, so I guess if there is a "safe" option that would be agreeable with most that would be good.
GlenDronach 18 Allardice. Price has crept up over the £100 it's around £105 most places, but you might get lucky and still find it sub £100 if you shop around.

Associate

£100 is actually quite a difficult price point at the moment. There are a ton of superb whiskies at the £75ish range; which for me is the point of diminishing returns. I feel that from there you'd need to jump to a £150-£200 bottle to really see a decent jump in quality. So here's a list of £75 bottles so you can save yourself some money:

Talisker 18
Mortlach 16 "Distillers Dram"
Aberlour A'Bunadh
Caol Ila 18
Tomatin 18
Ledaig 18

Soldato
£100 is actually quite a difficult price point at the moment. There are a ton of superb whiskies at the £75ish range; which for me is the point of diminishing returns. I feel that from there you'd need to jump to a £150-£200 bottle to really see a decent jump in quality. So here's a list of £75 bottles so you can save yourself some money:

Talisker 18
Mortlach 16 "Distillers Dram"
Aberlour A'Bunadh
Caol Ila 18
Tomatin 18
Ledaig 18

how can you put abunadh with those? It's really not equivalent IMO. Sickly horrible crap they would do better sending off to a whisky fudge manufacturer. Try it next to proper whiskys at a tasting and I challenge even a lover of sherry monsters not to find it inferior.

Soldato
how can you put abunadh with those? It's really not equivalent IMO. Sickly horrible crap they would do better sending off to a whisky fudge manufacturer. Try it next to proper whiskys at a tasting and I challenge even a lover of sherry monsters not to find it inferior.
Strong words! I've never had it but always thought the Aberlour was very well respected.

@Illgresi is right though, around £75 is probably a better price point. I recently bought a bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail which is stunning. Any whisky fan would really appreciate that and it's just under £70 (and had £15 off the day after I bought from MoM :rolleyes: )

Soldato
Maybe I'm old school but I would think a whisky fan will always prefer a good age statement whisky over a no-age-statement generic market filler launched to target the occasional drinker and newbie.

Back
Top Bottom