• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is it worth cashing in my 2080ti for a RTX 3080? Use a RTX 2060 in the short term?

Associate
It's strange they never finished that show...

I just watched it all back, what with lockdown going on and all. The last couple of seasons aren't so bad second time round. The dialogue does keep getting worse after they go off the end of the books, but I enjoyed season 8 more on a rewatch, especially the really dark episode which I switched up bright and turned the lights off in the room for, so I could actually see something this time. I still think they did so much of it wrong - winter really was a bit of an anticlimax after seven years of build-up, Cersei deserved some real comeuppance or at least some sort of ending rather than just having a few rocks fall on her... but I don't hate it as much now :)

Sorry, wandered way off topic here!

Last edited:
Soldato
I just watched it all back, what with lockdown going on and all. The last couple of seasons aren't so bad second time round. The dialogue does keep getting worse after they go off the end of the books, but I enjoyed season 8 more on a rewatch, especially the really dark episode which I switched up bright and turned the lights off in the room for this time, so I could actually see something this time. I still think they did so much of it wrong - winter really was a bit of an anticlimax after seven years of build-up, Cersei deserved some real comeuppance or at least some sort of ending rather than just having a few rocks fall on her... but I don't hate it as much now :)

Sorry, wandered way off topic here!

How dare you! :p

Soldato
Considering the 2080 launched at £800+ at a time that the 1080ti was retailing at £650 new, the question is are you prepared to pay £1000+ again, for a 3080 that's likely to be only marginally faster and with less vram, but with better efficiency and Raytracing performance.

One thing to keep in mind unless AMD offer some genuine competition in that same performance ballpark, Ngreedia is more than likely going to stack the 3080 pricing on top of the existing retail price of the 2080ti. They will not price the 3080 lower than the 2080ti just because "it is a lower model" or "moving gen", they will charge whatever they can get away with.

So after all is said and done, moving from a selling the 2080ti to a new 3080 could end up costing £400+ for a minimal upgrade.

Associate
There are a couple of factors that will drive steep 2080Ti depreciation imho, basically it was way overpriced to begin with and secondly there will be competition. The only thing that will keep its value for longer is availability of the next gen GPUs and people being poorly informed, hell people will still pay £500 for a used 1080Ti (you can't help those people they are in a special category)

Yes you could pull the devil advocate card and claim the possibility of the complete opposite but all the signs are things heading that way around Sept time less Nvidia move early.

Soldato
There are a couple of factors that will drive steep 2080Ti depreciation imho, basically it was way overpriced to begin with and secondly there will be competition. The only thing that will keep its value for longer is availability of the next gen GPUs and people being poorly informed, hell people will still pay £500 for a used 1080Ti (you can't help those people they are in a special category)

Yes you could pull the devil advocate card and claim the possibility of the complete opposite but all the signs are things heading that way around Sept time less Nvidia move early.
As I've said, the key is going to be IF AMD can really being out a card that can compete at 2080ti level in performance.

Nobody doubting the depreciation of 2080ti value in the 2nd hand market, but historically speaking, Nvidia always ONLY lower their price when AMD bring out competition. Without the competition, Nvidia WILL pull the same crap as they did just like how they stacked the 2000 series pricing on top of the 1000 series pricing at launch.

Associate
Nobody knows the price, performance or release date of the next nvidia and amd gpus. Nor does anyone know how the prices of older cards will be affected.

It's far from impossible that the 3080 will be slower than the 2080ti.

You've spent £1000-1200 on the best graphics card, so I'd assume you have an avid interest in high end gaming. Are you really gonna give that up for 6+ months cause it might save you a couple hundred quid? It also might save you nothing, it might even cost you (people were paying silly money for s/h 1080 ti cards on the 2080 launch).

We know that AMD are promising a 50% RDNA, which if true would make the 6700XT to be on par with a 2080ti or there abouts. Nvidia are shrinking a node and are looking at IPC gains and huge Ray Tracing gains.

Associate
OP
We know that AMD are promising a 50% RDNA, which if true would make the 6700XT to be on par with a 2080ti or there abouts. Nvidia are shrinking a node and are looking at IPC gains and huge Ray Tracing gains.

The problem with AMD they tend to be on hot and wattage hungry, I wonder what the recommend PSU requirement would be for the 6700XT

Soldato
My guess is it's gonna be a grand or close to it at launch. If there is little to no availability, that price will go north quickly.

Why? Because that makes room for the 3080ti to be £1200+

Associate
I'm clearly in a minority here. I'd keep it. You can get hung up on trying to minimise your losses in computer hardware. Enthusiast grade stuff is expensive and always will be.

Why is it you are going to need/want a 3080 ? If I had a 2080ti I think i'd be happy to keep it a while. Sure if you sell it now you'll get more money for it, but you'll be stuck with a 2060 until a 3080 is available. And god knows how long that will be!!!
You could sell your whole system now and get a better price than you will get for it later, but then you don't have a system.

Also the 3080's might turn out to be only a few percent faster than the 2080ti's. We've seen it time and time again where the hardware was nowhere near up to the hype.

You didn't buy a 2080ti as an investment, you bought it because you wanted the best.
Life's too short, keep the 2080ti and enjoy!

Soldato
I have a 2080ti Strix with a nice O/C, I'm willing to bet a reference 3080 even overclocked will only be 5-10% on average faster at launch. I'll be waiting for the Ti's for a proper jump in performance which I'm also willing to bet will only come 3-6 months after the 3080.

Associate
OP
I'm clearly in a minority here. I'd keep it. You can get hung up on trying to minimise your losses in computer hardware. Enthusiast grade stuff is expensive and always will be.

Why is it you are going to need/want a 3080 ? If I had a 2080ti I think i'd be happy to keep it a while. Sure if you sell it now you'll get more money for it, but you'll be stuck with a 2060 until a 3080 is available. And god knows how long that will be!!!
You could sell your whole system now and get a better price than you will get for it later, but then you don't have a system.

Also the 3080's might turn out to be only a few percent faster than the 2080ti's. We've seen it time and time again where the hardware was nowhere near up to the hype.

You didn't buy a 2080ti as an investment, you bought it because you wanted the best.
Life's too short, keep the 2080ti and enjoy!

I do agree the RTX 3080 might only be 5 to 10 percent faster than the RTX 2080ti, but it will have extra headroom for a overclock, I bought the RTX 2080ti for around £600, so it is not really about minimising a loss, I'm just looking to the new pending cards, current 2nd user prices are still quite high, I picked up a cheap EVGA 2060 XC 6gb for £150, so it would be a good stop gap card for 1440p, which would be upscaled to my 4k Display, I had a bit of a play with the RTX 2060 today, I'm quite impressed with its abilities to game at 60 FPS.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I have a 2080ti Strix with a nice O/C, I'm willing to bet a reference 3080 even overclocked will only be 5-10% on average faster at launch. I'll be waiting for the Ti's for a proper jump in performance which I'm also willing to bet will only come 3-6 months after the 3080.

True I agree with that, I'm thinking it could be a good time to cash out early and use the RTX 2060 in the short term at 1440p 60fps, upscaled to my 4k display.

Associate
The problem with AMD they tend to be on hot and wattage hungry, I wonder what the recommend PSU requirement would be for the 6700XT
they are claiming to have sorted that which whilst you'd rightly be sceptical and say "ok show me first" I can understand, but consider the fact that the APU based on RDNA2 will be in consoles, will be below 350W total and can run up to 2.2GHz. That's not speculation or wishful thinking its known. I don't know what more evidence you need that to me (even as an Nvidia GPU owner btw) says they have sorted it just like Nvidia sorted it moving from Fermi into Maxwell and Pascal.

Soldato
Who would spend £900 on a used 2080ti now when the 3070 might be reasonably near it with better RT for say £500...with a warranty?

To me your 2080ti is worth £400 max at the moment. It may be worth more when the 30 series releases but I wouldn’t be tempted.

Associate
OP
Who would spend £900 on a used 2080ti now when the 3070 might be reasonably near it with better RT for say £500...with a warranty?

To me your 2080ti is worth £400 max at the moment. It may be worth more when the 30 series releases but I wouldn’t be tempted.

Really! Check ebay recent completed listings, green = sold, anyone wants to flog there RTX 2080ti for £400, feel free to PM me, funds waiting....even CEX offer £580 cash...

Soldato
Any person who isn't extremely well off needs thier head tested if spending more than £600 on just a single brand new graphics card in this new world we live in is a sensible idea.

Back
Top Bottom