BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
I will be joining the ftth/fttp club soon i think > https://i.ibb.co/Gth7mwL/fiber-inte...aD9y0Y486KSsxWr18lxPb5ps5_eBZbSSTWhiuvfaWIPs0 so yea ftth fttp but i also have fttc and virgin media but i will go the full fiber route so vodafone it is then.

I thought about the limits of wifi so i won't be going for vodafones 900/900 but 500/500.

Anyways nice setup you have there rob regarding post above mine here.

Dan.

Soldato
I will be joining the ftth/fttp club soon i think > https://i.ibb.co/Gth7mwL/fiber-inte...aD9y0Y486KSsxWr18lxPb5ps5_eBZbSSTWhiuvfaWIPs0 so yea ftth fttp but i also have fttc and virgin media but i will go the full fiber route so vodafone it is then.

I thought about the limits of wifi so i won't be going for vodafones 900/900 but 500/500.

Anyways nice setup you have there rob regarding post above mine here.

Dan.

Thanks, just needs some tidying up, Hue bridge needs putting somewhere, i need to go back under the floor and tidy up the fibre cable there as well.
Thinking some trunking along the wall to hide some of the cables to the router and NAS. Maybe some for the power for the ONT as well.

Don
Anyone moved their master socket before? :)

Just had a bit of a eureka moment and realised a possible reason why my fttc speeds have dropped considerably - my drop wire runs with 2 inches of a mains cable to my air source heat pump (installed mid last year).

Have ordered a NTE5c Mk2 and Mk4 faceplate + new backbox and planning on moving the master socket about 2 meters.

Hopefully get some improvement by moving away from the electric cable, "upgrade" from old MK3 faceplate to MK4, shortening drop wire by 2M, and shortening DSL cable by 2M :)

Soldato
@Yadda - yep will do (also moved the post to the correct section :))

Cheers. Don't know if it's any use to you or not but I had my master socket moved a while ago. The engineer was troubleshooting a fibre issue I was having and he asked if I'd like the socket moved nearer the router. I was hesitant at first because I thought it was chargable but he said that it would be FOC so I let him get on with it.

Soldato
The fibre that's connected to the ONT is about 2mm, the external part of that cable is about 4mm. One end of that cable is pre-terminated, the other end gets spliced into a connection box that was installed right by where the fibre comes out of the duct.

This is the connection box:

The left hand cable is the fibre that goes off to the ONT, middle cable is the fibre coming from the duct and the right hand cable is a 4 core OM-3 fibre that connects the switches in the study (where the ONT is) and lounge (where the VDSL modem was) together.

Weirdly they didn't fit anything like that for me when I had my fibre installed last year. They just drilled through the wall and pushed the cable through.

I wonder if it's got anything to do with my fibre coming over telegraph rather than underground ducting.

Don
Cheers. Don't know if it's any use to you or not but I had my master socket moved a while ago. The engineer was troubleshooting a fibre issue I was having and he asked if I'd like the socket moved nearer the router. I was hesitant at first because I thought it was chargable but he said that it would be FOC so I let him get on with it.

If I could get one of my local engineers to come out then I know them quite well (as they serve my workplace as well) and they most likely would, but getting them out when my line is still above the handback threshold is probably more of a challenge then doing it myself.

Just hoping it is the air source heat pump cabling causing interference that has forced the line to be banded (has reverted back to being banded around 22MB after a DLM reset a few months ago which initially put it back up to the 30+MB that it was when I first got FTTC)

Soldato
If I could get one of my local engineers to come out then I know them quite well (as they serve my workplace as well) and they most likely would, but getting them out when my line is still above the handback threshold is probably more of a challenge then doing it myself.

Just hoping it is the air source heat pump cabling causing interference that has forced the line to be banded (has reverted back to being banded around 22MB after a DLM reset a few months ago which initially put it back up to the 30+MB that it was when I first got FTTC)
Is your air source heat pump a government grant one?

Soldato
It is, however I'm in a grey area atm as my house is currently Council owned, but I'm in the middle of a right-to-buy, so not technically the owner or able to claim payback from it yet.
Ahh, that's really interesting, as I've been contacted about one and offered an install pending a site survey. Would you mind answering a few questions about it if I make a thread in the appropriate place?

Soldato

Yes, fair enough. Good luck, I know how frustrating getting FTTC issues sorted can be. I once had to round-up a load of fibre users from my area across 2 ISPs and get them to run a packet loss tool before the ISPs would accept that the problem was with the exchange (the tool demonstrated that we were all suffering from packet loss spikes at exactly the same times). They'd been sending everyone around the "check your cables etc" route for months.

Soldato
Weirdly they didn't fit anything like that for me when I had my fibre installed last year. They just drilled through the wall and pushed the cable through.

I wonder if it's got anything to do with my fibre coming over telegraph rather than underground ducting.
Nope mine is over the poles and has the box, just the refined installation method by the look of it. Doesn't require then to terminate the ONT end anymore it's pre done.

Soldato
Nope mine is over the poles and has the box, just the refined installation method by the look of it. Doesn't require then to terminate the ONT end anymore it's pre done.
Ahh, okay. It's a shame, it's so much cleaner set up than mine. I wonder if there's anything I can do to get Openreach to do something about it?

Soldato
Ahh, okay. It's a shame, it's so much cleaner set up than mine. I wonder if there's anything I can do to get Openreach to do something about it?

If the fibre to your ONT were broken somewhere around where this sort of box would be installed then they might install a box during the fix. However, chances are at they'd just fix the issue to the same stanard as it was installed. No guarantees and I would definitely not recommend forcing the issue.

Just asking them to come and add a box will result in a 'no' I would guess. Installation methods are frequently reviewed and unless they absolutely have to they won't revisit past jobs to bring them up to the new standards.

Soldato
Looking at the openreach documents, the new internal cable has a much tighter bend radius than the stuff used outside.
It was really flexible when I was running it through the crawl space.

Had to move the router back into the livingroom, the wifi wasn't reaching upstairs, was getting 138kbps on my mobile so the firestick wasn't working at all.
I was expecting better from the super duper smart hub 2.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looking at the openreach documents, the new internal cable has a much tighter bend radius than the stuff used outside.
It was really flexible when I was running it through the crawl space.

Had to move the router back into the livingroom, the wifi wasn't reaching upstairs, was getting 138kbps on my mobile so the firestick wasn't working at all.
I was expecting better from the super duper smart hub 2.

Out of interest how was your phone connected after they removed the old wiring ? I'm curious as mine is now connected to the old copper line (underground so left in place) and they have also left it connected via FTTC and surprisingly I can get an internet connection via it with the default BT login. It has given me a failover from FTTP as my Netgear router can stay connected to both and automatically switches over if the active one drops. A BT outage is likely to take out the FTTC connection but still good to have if something happens with the FTTP network or a powercut as the ONT isn't on my UPS as it's in a different part of the house.

I'm not sure if this is due to my phone line being moved a couple of weeks after the FTTP was connected. We don't really use the phone but my older relatives still call the landline so we keep it connected.

Last edited:
Soldato
Out of interest how was your phone connected after they removed the old wiring ? I'm curious as mine is now connected to the old copper line (underground so left in place) and they have also left it connected via FTTC and surprisingly I can get an internet connection via it with the default BT login. It has given me a failover from FTTP as my Netgear router can stay connected to both and automatically switches over if the active one drops. A BT outage is likely to take out the FTTC connection but still good to have if something happens with the FTTP network or a powercut as the ONT isn't on my UPS as it's in a different part of the house.

I'm not sure if this is due to my phone line being moved a couple of weeks after the FTTP was connected. We don't really use the phone but my older relatives still call the landline so we keep it connected.

We don't have a phone, but the phone socket is on the bottom of the ONT. When it switches to VOIP there is a socket for that on the router as well.

oDhNCgO.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom