AMD launches B550 motherboards

Soldato
Soldato
That's a gorgeous board.

But wtf is a "creator"?

Edit: also what's with the bright orange SATA socket and red chokes(?) at the bottom? ruins the otherwise clean look :/

Do we need B550 boards that high in price?..I expect sales will be low since you can get a very good X570 for around the same price.

Soldato
Motherboards have become laughably expensive. I'm holding out for a reasonably priced b550.

I guess you will get some people thinking B550 is the latest new model so must be better then X570 range, throw in some very high B550 prices and some consumers will either be confused or think it must be better.

Soldato
I guess you will get some people thinking B550 is the latest new model so must be better then X570 range, throw in some very high B550 prices and some consumers will either be confused or think it must be better.
From my understanding for me its ideal for people that only want 1 gpu, and 1 m.2 at 4.0x speeds. Im also not overly interested in manual overclocking anymore just let boost do its thing, got my eye on the 3900x unless something else is definitely released soon.
I would also like 2.5gbe be handy for connecting to the NAS which has it.

Soldato
From my understanding for me its ideal for people that only want 1 gpu, and 1 m.2 at 4.0x speeds. Im also not overly interested in manual overclocking anymore just let boost do its thing, got my eye on the 3900x unless something else is definitely released soon.
I would also like 2.5gbe be handy for connecting to the NAS which has it.

I agree B550 is great for most people ,but some of those high B550 models will have very high prices so don't make sense over a X570 unless chipset fan on the X570 plays into the equation.

If you are going minimal hardware for example on the B550, chances are you won't be looking at the high end B550 models.

Associate
Some of the top boards have better features than X570, better components, enough of PCIE 4gen lanes for average user/future, no fan, why would they be cheaper or worse than X570.

Soldato
Some of the top boards have better features than X570, better components, enough of PCIE 4gen lanes for average user/future, no fan, why would they be cheaper or worse than X570.

I thought the B550 was supposed to be the cheaper version of X570 with less features in general, they seemed to gone the opposite way, now which one is really the top model between the X570 or B550 if you ignore PCIE 4?

Associate
If you take similar boards I would assume B550 would still be cheaper, but for some people expectation is that they were supposed to cost the same price as B450. Why? You need cheap get B450, you want better components with PCIE4 get B550. Just don't get it when some think they should get all the features for cheap price. They cost more, PCIE4 boards costs more, you have better LAN and again B450 is not useless just lower quality...for cheaper price if that is what people want:).

For the moment it looks like X570 is only needed if you need more PCIE lanes, if you don't, there is no need for X570. So when someone says "for the same price I'd rather get X570" it is not the case for me, I'd rather get B550, which has top quality components and features I would use.

Soldato
If you take similar boards I would assume B550 would still be cheaper, but for some people expectation is that they were supposed to cost the same price as B450. Why? You need cheap get B450, you want better components with PCIE4 get B550. Just don't get it when some think they should get all the features for cheap price. They cost more, PCIE4 boards costs more, you have better LAN and again B450 is not useless just lower quality...for cheaper price if that is what people want:).

For the moment it looks like X570 is only needed if you need more PCIE lanes, if you don't, there is no need for X570. So when someone says "for the same price I'd rather get X570" it is not the case for me, I'd rather get B550, which has top quality components and features I would use.

I'll be using 1x M2 Slot, 1x SATA mechanical HD, 2 x external USB 3.0 HD, rest is built-in onboard apart from video card, but still looking at X570 range as well as B550, price and features will be my deciding factor, as I already stated not interested in overclocking.

Soldato

X570 is more future proof though, that said most people buying PCIe gen 4 boards oddly buy gen 3 nvmes.

Soldato
Majority of people still use 1 SSD just for boot drive:p Future proof just with PCIE4 extra lanes is questionable
I think future proof is questionable for any of these boards right now with DDR5 around the corner which is why I went for a cheaper B450 as I intend to jump on AM5 in a couple of years.

Associate
I think future proof is questionable for any of these boards right now with DDR5 around the corner which is why I went for a cheaper B450 as I intend to jump on AM5 in a couple of years.
Exactly, that is a good point. People will be drawn to new platform soon.

Caporegime

Exactly, that is a good point. People will be drawn to new platform soon.

A couple of years is a long time, AM5 likely won't be out until 2022. I'd rather have a good featured and good performing board that will make the most of Zen3 in the meantime as if you get a 3600 now to tide you over and then pop in an AMD 4900x next year you likely won't need to upgrade for a good while, especially as PCIe4 will take care of the next couple of generations of GPU.

Back
Top Bottom