• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
I'll tell you how.... the only way Nvidia maintains market share is if they give consumers the power of Ampere at previously unheard of price points and that is just not how they operate OR AMD completely ballz it up which ok you have Vega and Fury to poke fun at but its not looking like that this time around we don't know the details but the power and capability is quite clearly there.

What Nvidia are most likely to do is maintain the current price points and pull an Apple to lower production costs thus increase margin and maintain profit at the expense of the consumer all wrapped in fluffy words. They will however loose market share this time around I guarantee you that because they absolutely will not give consumer any more silicon per $ than they absolutely have too where as AMD have more room to manuvour even if they ultimately fall short of the ultimate perf part because it doesn't matter once you start hitting those high prices.

The only accurate statement in this post is

"We don't the know the details"

We don't know the price of the GPUs from either AMD or NVidia.
We don't know the performance of the GPUs from either AMD or Nvidia.
We don't know what the power consumption will be, we certainly can't base it off any information from the PS5.

And you certainly can't guarantee any of the things you said.

oh, Just Vega and Fury to poke fun at? What about Tahiti? Hawaii? Polaris? None of those launches went very well at all. AMD can't have another bad launch.

Caporegime
Yes they will know how it performs before we do, which is what I assume you meant.
But before AMD do, that would be a neat trick.

Was being facetious. We’d be beyond naive if we didn’t believe that nvidia partners with close access to AMD information didn’t pass it along.

Soldato
I read what he said and it was basically "If AMD isn't faster they will not gain any market share". It doesn't matter whether he said across all product lines or not, as the principle is the same and AMD will anyway be judged by their performance of initial releases of RDNA2, which will be at the high-end. They just have to be as competitive as possible and not lag behind too much, while being better value, and they will sell a bucketload.

I said they would need to be better. One aspect of that is performance. But all the other factors that come into GPUs as well, like noise levels, cooling, power consumption, drivers etc. They can't sacrifice any of those things to get better performance.

And I am talking about meaningful market share. They always rise a few % after launch of a new GPU but it's never enough to change anything.

Been competitive and good value has been what they have been doing for the past decade. Do you think that if they do the same with RDNA 2 that anything will change?

The launch of cards from both companies at roughly the same time of year will be interesting. This is the first time in a long time that we have such close release schedules and that AMD is going for the high end.

Soldato
People are so hypocritical, when there team has high power or poor PPW then they don't care and only care about performance and value. When its he other team is matters suddenly lol.

A 320w single GPU consumer card (if true) would be unrepresented but if the PPW is there and you can keep it cool and quiet...

But this is Nvidia not AMD. It's not because the GPU is inefficient. It'll be because it is packing some serious power. There is a difference.

Of course at this point in time we are only assuming. But it's a fairly sound assumption.

Soldato
Also anyone noticed where the GPU is ? According to the heatsink its at the very end of the card not in the middle ? Suggests its either a very short PCB to the triangle or what others have speculised is its a Dual PCB/Hybrid type card with some kind of connection between the two whether it be PCB or other ? eg one end GPU one end power circuits.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Also anyone noticed where the GPU is ? According to the heatsink its at the very end of the card not in the middle ? Suggests its either a very short PCB to the triangle or what others have speculised is its a Dual PCB/Hybrid type card with some kind of connection between the two whether it be PCB or other ? eg one end GPU one end power circuits.

Wouldn't splitting the two make it easier to cool?

Soldato
But this is Nvidia not AMD. It's not because the GPU is inefficient. It'll be because it is packing some serious power. There is a difference.

Of course at this point in time we are only assuming. But it's a fairly sound assumption.

You are saying no AMD cards are efficient? You sound like you know things everyone else doesn't.

The 5700XT is actually slightly more efficient at the same clock than the 2070 Super in performance and power is essentially the same.

Soldato
This heat sink has me worried about performance. It looks like a gimmick.

Last time, when Nvidia couldn't improve performance at the different price points, they gave us RTX...and a new price point.

This time, I'm worried they'll give us a gimmicky heat sink as a distraction.

Caporegime

Last time, when Nvidia couldn't improve performance at the different price points, they gave us RTX...and a new price point.

How does it look like a gimmick? What about the cooler do you feel doesn't look practical or like it is designed to dissipate large amounts of heat? Why would they need to "distract" us with a heatsink?

Sounds like you're just making things up, because Nvidia are not going to spend a lot of money on R&D for a beastly cooler like that if it has no practical purpose.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

What I recon is they have seen AMD's performance and have had to put more power into their cards than they usually would have at the high end, as a result they need beefier cooling. If AMD was not bringing it they would likely not pushed the 3080/ti/Titan so much.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
I quite like the look of it. Just want it to be quiet.

Although my Zotac triple fan 2080Ti is generally pretty quiet, a few games push it and the fans can become a little annoying, especially if playing at night and I don't want to turn the volume up. If they can deliver on performance AND keep the cards quiet, they'll be onto a winner for me. Perhaps the new heatsink can manage exactly that.

Soldato
The amount of heat that will be dumped into 'quiet' pc cases has the potential to overheat the card, cpu and motherboard. New, noiser, case fans would be required. I will be surprised if those who cant stand noise aren't the first to rma.

Furthermore it's not clear if that bottom fan is intake or exhaust. But if it's exhaust it would dump heat near the cpu hsf or water block, tubing.

Combine that by paying a premium of $150 just for hsf alone? I think RDNA 2 will do just fine regardless of where the performance lands. I just don't see any of those cards going below $1000.

AIBS won't be allowed to undercut Nvidia with traditional hsf. They will simply increase the asking price by $150. Simple maths is simple. :D

Back
Top Bottom