Social Media getting a bit...overbearing.

Soldato
The tearing down of statues and banning of older comedy shows smacks of the "Cultural Revolution" of Chairman Meo in China.

It's a very dark path and we all know how many millions suffered at the hands of people with that train of thought.

I've just said pretty much the same in another thread. Once someone in power gets to decide the truth and control what can be said it's all over. To be fair to the Americans their first amendment makes sense even if it does cause other issues. They just need be a parallel Bill of Responsibilities to remind people to exercise their rights responsibly ;)

Associate
Now discussing removing statues throughout the country... I mean why? What does it achieve really? You cant erase history.

Surely it depends on the statue and its location ?

A Hitler statue next to a Synagogue might be deemed inappropriate. How about Margaret Thatcher statues outside every Coal mine , Jimmy Saville statues at hospitals and primary schools ?

How many of you upset about this cared when they pulled down the Jimmy Saville statues ?

Soldato
Someone posted a link to another story by Quillette a website I had never previously read. There I found the following https://quillette.com/2020/06/09/fo...justice-meltdown-is-a-sign-of-things-to-come/ about the damage the “social justice” movement is wreaking in traditional media. Some of points about the egotism of the movement how the new religion apes the old religion and the price of submission to the ever growing demands echo my own misgivings.

Soldato
OP
Well thats it, I had enough now. I'm a minority, I don't need the media pulling historical tv shows because I am going to be offended.

The BBC removed Little Britain over concerns for Racism, literally no one has ever really had a legit complaint against that.

Man of Honour
You mean news posts? Maybe OcUK should ban all news posts, however that ain't going to happen. I bet most traffic is trivia not actually relating to tech at all.

I'm also a member of many OCUK type tech groups - do you know how Facebook works, it doesn't seem you do and all you want to do is put it down?
I also get updates on music related stuff etc.

Associate
AI tyranny, this is the sort of thing that is going down in China with their social credit system except it's also happening in real life because of facial recognition and cameras all over the place. Imagine having a pint with mates down the pub and having your "score" lowered because you privately criticised the government or jokingly called a friend a **** as banter whilst having a good time, in the future everyone will be going about daily life like robots scared of doing or saying something that lowers their score. These are the kind of top-down control systems being developed and it won't be limited to the internet and China if people don't stop it.

We've kind of sleepwalked into it, moderation seemed like a good idea in the early days of the days of the internet but it's the boiling frog/slippery slope phenomenon, people don't notice the water getting hotter and steady tightening of the rope before it's too late. I've mentioned this a few times but about 20 years ago (2000ish) I vividly remember a thread on here about China's internet censorship and we were all mocking them and laughing about it, a generation and leftist indoctrination camps (education system) later and today we've basically become them without anyone noticing. We need to censor this to protect children, we need to take that freedom away because terrorists and you've got youth fighting against freedom of speech on college/university campuses and everything they find offensive is far right which makes the person a Nazi who they (Antifa etc) can therefore legitimately exercise their eye gouging training and other violence on.

Props to this post!!!

An accurate summation of whats happened.....

Literally people in China being bumped off as they have been banned from getting a job, buying food all because their social credit score is too low.

This will be coming to this country within the next 5-10 years.

Permabanned
Well thats it, I had enough now. I'm a minority, I don't need the media pulling historical tv shows because I am going to be offended.

The BBC removed Little Britain over concerns for Racism, literally no one has ever really had a legit complaint against that.

Wasn't there a recurring skit where the irritating one did blackface?

Soldato
Twitter and Reddit are awash with recently created accounts trying to incite, revise history etc - I don’t think it’s too tinfoil to think China/Russia are sending in the internet troops to cause as much havoc as possible - and it’s a draining place to be. If I turn on the dark side of my brain and imagine myself as a tyrant, sowing further discord is exactly the sort of thing I’d order.

It’s tempting to log off but it feels like it’s where an ideological war is playing out and there are people on the fence who’re in danger of being radicalised.

At what point, then, should one resist? When one's belt is taken away? When one is ordered to face into a corner? When one crosses the threshold of one's home? An arrest consists of a series of incidental irrelevancies, of a multitude of things that do not matter, and there seems no point in arguing about one of them individually...and yet all these incidental irrelevancies taken together implacably constitute the arrest.
― Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

The trousers are definitely around our ankles right now and we’re sleepwalking into mistakes that have already been made in the last hundred years.

Associate
I stopped FB and never joined instagram or tinder or any of that crap about 2011, saw it for what it was.. a way to harvest idiots, take away being human, all under the banner of it being 'friendly'. It's caused anything but friendly, people who are susceptable to mental issues, and in the public eye, they never get a break. Problem is, they can't stop watching.. How many celebs can I count on my hand doing this as we speak?

Caporegime
Props to this post!!!

An accurate summation of whats happened.....

Literally people in China being bumped off as they have been banned from getting a job, buying food all because their social credit score is too low.

This will be coming to this country within the next 5-10 years.

Where do you think they got the idea from? It's an inherent part of our society, you just don't notice it when it's not so explicit. Though with all due respect, y'all keep electing authoritarians, so it shouldn't be much of a mystery why we're heading down the same path.

Twitter and Reddit are awash with recently created accounts trying to incite, revise history etc - I don’t think it’s too tinfoil to think China/Russia are sending in the internet troops to cause as much havoc as possible - and it’s a draining place to be. If I turn on the dark side of my brain and imagine myself as a tyrant, sowing further discord is exactly the sort of thing I’d order.

It’s tempting to log off but it feels like it’s where an ideological war is playing out and there are people on the fence who’re in danger of being radicalised.

The trousers are definitely around our ankles right now and we’re sleepwalking into mistakes that have already been made in the last hundred years.

Although it's an easy assumption that is undoubtedly true, why is it seemingly never the case that there could be people in the West doing it to keep the status quo/end the status quo?

Unfortunately someone decided that we operate our country via an easily leveraged process. There are ~300 ultra-safe seats in our 'democracy', which means what remains is a rather cheap exercise in trying to get a majority to satisfy whatever special interest you want dealt with, such as regulatory direction and planning permission.

With how the government is it's own judge in this country, I fail to see why anyone is surprised at the state of things. Foreign influence is pitiful in comparison to the damage domestic influence has on our country. I'd say we could probably get rid of the former if we wanted to deal with the latter, as almost certainly end up being one and the same. Unfortunately, people are too busy being manipulated by those very same plutocrats to take notice of the insult that is being played upon them.

So, if i should be so candid. If the proverbial trousers are around our ankles, it's probably because we put them there in the first place and deflecting the blame at the onlookers laughing at us isn't going to pull them back up.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
How is removing a statue 'erasing history'? If you want to know about history, you don't look at a statue you read a ******* book :p

I can't even begin to count how many times I've seen statues/monuments and then gone on to read the history behind them.
So if the statues/monuments weren't there in the first place I would never have known.
I did a tour of Bristol/Bath in 2016 and learned the good bits about Colston from the top of a tour bus, I then Googled him.

Caporegime
Then teach it in schools, call it the ***** and ***** section of a history lesson. You could even make it so they have to find the worst people from history, excluding the obvious examples and talk about why they're ***** and *****.

Back
Top Bottom