cost to replace driveway! higher than i thought

we've removed a wasted area out the front that we now are looking to turn into a driveway. currently we have brindle bricks and had thought to just get some more to match, however we had the thought that as we don't like brindle maybe it'd be best to replace the whole lot.

we worked it out that the new area is approx 30 sqm, and the existing about 75/80 sqm

i was shocked to discover the cost just for the blocks we'd like. almost £4.5k! are driveways really that expensive? even rubbish brindle bricks are near £2k from wickes.

am i doing it wrong? is places like wickes not the way to go when you need this many?

Associate
I got my driveway replaced a few weeks ago with block paving as a border and SMA tarmac
Previously I had stone gravel which I hated.

Associate
Yes - its expensive. We were quote nearly 5k for a driveway which was 30sqm but in the end we done it ourselves for just over 2k and its fine. Try doing it yourself. Its a nice project and there's plenty of help and advice online.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Are you in a rush, prices are crazy at the moment give it a few weeks and see where prices are at.

Soldato
What I don't fully understand is how tarmac can be similar in cost to block paving, the latter being more labour intensive?

Soldato
Our blocked double driveway cost £4500 about 6 years ago. That was all in, and done to a very high standard.

Obviously, if you're willing to do all the work yourself then you can do it for drastically less.

Soldato
that will be the case as i've done the garden and it was super easy, but blocks alone are £4.5k, plus will need new sub base for parts of it. i will wait and see as it definitely seems higher than i'd have expected.

Allow 1.5 to 2 ton of MOT type 1 per 10sqm(approx 100mm deep), and 1 ton of sharp sand per 10sqm (approx 40mm deep)
Its 50 blocks per sqm
1 bag of kiln dried sand does approx 8sqm (if using 50mm deep blocks)
allow 5% extra for cuts
Also if you are going to spend that much on materials, i hope you can get a 'professional' finish to your job eg. water runoff, no humps or hollows, straight borders etc.....

Back
Top Bottom