• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Moved to AMD, now games feel laggy (even though high FPS?)

Soldato
***FIX***

OK, in my instance I needed to tighten the waterblock to the card.

I can confirm that now all of my games do not micro-stutter like they did before so it was my mistake by not fitting waterblock correctly.

In all my years doing computing its almost always down to something to do with heat. This is a fine example of how user error is the culprit.

This 5700XT now runs as smooth (and mostly as cool) as my previous 1080Ti.
Excellent News.

Associate
OP
Alas, it is not fixed afterall.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I feel like I've trawled through most of the internet trying to fix my micro-stuttering in games to no avail.

Just to be clear the only thing that changed in my rig was the gfx card (1080 ti - > 5700 xt) and it is a fresh install of Win 10. All the extra AMD software guff is off in Radeon driver panel.

Do others experience similiar issue with these cards? Mine was doing it on stock with stock cooler and does it still with a custom waterblock and decent temps.

Associate
No, mine is absolutely smooth in all games. It's pretty much stock set up in terms of radeon settings also with amd optimization on freesysnc and RIS.

The only changes I made was enabling variable refresh rates within windows

Associate

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I feel like I've trawled through most of the internet trying to fix my micro-stuttering in games to no avail.

Just to be clear the only thing that changed in my rig was the gfx card (1080 ti - > 5700 xt) and it is a fresh install of Win 10. All the extra AMD software guff is off in Radeon driver panel.

Do others experience similiar issue with these cards? Mine was doing it on stock with stock cooler and does it still with a custom waterblock and decent temps.

Thats a shame, did it temporarily start working fluidly again? Maybe it was actually fixed for a very short period?

Not sure what power connectors there are on the 5700XT but if there's 2x connectors, make sure you're using 2 unique cables (don't daisy-chain). My Vega had problems with a daisy chained connector even though it has a theoretical throughput of well over the card's nominal max wattage. It must be sensitive to the drooping voltage.

Soldato

You need to check your water block installation again. You fixed it the 1st time by tightening it down. It's quite clear there's something going on with the block you using on the video card.

I would suggest that you take the block off the video card and examine that all thermal pads, thermal paste, etc is applied correctly. Make sure you have no broken/torn thermals pads. Make sure there is no bare metal touching reisters, capacitors, mosfets, vregs, etc.

Dont tighten the screw the 1st time. Leave a little slack until all the screws are applied then handtighten them down crisscross. Dont overtighten. If you need to overtighten they aren't screwed in correctly.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi guys thanks for the replies.

I hear what you are saying BUT I originally tested the card with the stock cooler on air and it was micro-stuttering right from day one.

The waterblock tightening I realise now, in retrospect was a false positive.

My 1080TI never stuttered not once and was smooth throughout. I've got a 10900k and z490 mobo on the way in the next week (assuming OCUK can get the stock) so am hoping that will improve the situation. However, I'm still left with this dissappointed feeling as my previous NVIDIA cards were smooth as hell.

The last micro stuttering I encountered was the last time I had an AMD card (the 7970!). Coincidence? I'm starting to think not tbh!

Associate
OP
The plot thickens!

After trawling the web I have discovered that disabling ULPS in MSI Afterburner DEFINITELY helps but its still not perfect.

I've just installed a 10900K and Gigabyte Z490 Vision G motherboard...its still micro stuttering so even though I knew all along its the Radeon...it 100% is the gfx card doing this (the 1080TI before it was butter smooth).

If anyone has got any suggestions I'm all ears!

Seriously regretting this purchase tbh.

Associate
Uninstall msi afterburner, clock the card only in the official radeon application, maybe set a minimum boost clock frequency via performance profiles for whatever game is stuttering.

Can also check card temps, frequency, power usage in game with alt r and also change other driver options like AMD anti input lag and edit profile like that on the fly.

Also went from Nvidia drivers to AMD recently and had a few issues on a ryzen build, very happy with how my 5600xt is running now though. In Sandstorm I needed to have frame rate smoothing or vsync on to avoid stuttering. I'm only on a 60hz display and no freesync, which could be part of the problem.

Soldato
Ok, I've disabled ULPS and played a few rounds of MW 2019 and didn't notice any difference to smoothness with it disabled.
It's exactly the same as before, smooth.

I still suggest providing a video.

Soldato
Might just be that the card can't handle 60 FPS minimum in some cases, for example in GTA V, it gets just 62 FPS minimum at max settings, 1080p resolution:
https://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph14618/111331.png

Keep an eye on the GPU and memory clock speeds while games / benchmarks are running, maybe the graphics card is throttling them to keep the card at a safe temperature.

Try running the GPU at stock frequencies (if it isn't already) if temps look high, for the base model that is
1905 MHz for the Boost Clock and 1750 MHz for the memory.

I suggest you do the same for your CPU too, just check the multipliers and frequency remain constant during use. I don't have a i7 8700k, but like the 9900k, I bet it gets pretty hot when overclocked.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Is it not Ryzen Master that changes you to HPET ON? I had an arguement about this where i said this is why i was angry when people said you do not need a HPET bios toggle on Ryzen as MS fixed all the issues, Swapped timers etc and now were all on LTSC (false btw).

Ryzen Master has the ability to turn on HPET because you have no bios toggle, You probably normally would rely on a software toggle or leave it alone but Ryzen Master etc has the power to enable it for high precison timing.

But it is a killer for game smoothness and fps, I would look into that and download Latencymon and check my system device list for high precison timer. If it is this, Well you will need to format again msybe and disable HPET and not run Ryzen tools again. Or the CMD prompts and manually disabling the thing in device manager might also work.

Last edited:
Soldato
Clean format of Windows might sort this out.

Latest AMD chipset drivers installed, and using balanced power preset.

If you can't format, use DDU in safe mode to remove all old drivers especially Nvidia ones. Latest Nvidia driver install all kinds of unnecessary bloatware.

Back
Top Bottom