Fed Up of VM Superhub 3.0 - New Router Advice

Soldato
Help required please!

I’ve called VM a few times about poor performance, but the more I think about it, the more I realise that it’s probably that the Superhub is a poor router.

We’re having multiple problems including NAS dropouts (local network), AV amp not responding to app control and poor performance when we’re both using either our iPhones or MacBooks at the same time. This is often temporarily solved by switching the WiFi on and off on the device.

I’m tempted to switch the Superhub into modem mode and buy a new router, but I don’t want to replace junk with junk. Reprogramming all the smart plugs and bulbs is going to be fun...

Any suggestions? Inexpensive is ideal and certainly wouldn’t want to spend more than £100.

Thanks!

Soldato
I'll leave router suggestions to others, but,

Reprogramming all the smart plugs and bulbs is going to be fun...

So don't then. There's nothing to stop you setting your new router to have the exact same wireless settings as the SuperHub. That way all your devices will just connect automatically to the new router.

Associate
After getting fed up with the SH3, i bought an Ubiquiti Edgerouter X to do the routing and TP link Mesh wifi.

Its so much betters in terms of stability and range.

Soldato
You can't ever get rid of the VM Hub - you need it at the very least in modem mode, so it can communicate back and authenticate you onto VM's network.

Not sure if there's much out there in terms of a solid upgrade for <£100 though I'm afraid. Had a quick look on Google and the TP-Link Archer C80 (£102) and Archer AX50 (£154) seem quite decent options.

Soldato
OP
You can't ever get rid of the VM Hub - you need it at the very least in modem mode, so it can communicate back and authenticate you onto VM's network.

Not sure if there's much out there in terms of a solid upgrade for <£100 though I'm afraid. Had a quick look on Google and the TP-Link Archer C80 (£102) and Archer AX50 (£154) seem quite decent options.

Thanks for your post. Sorry, I probably should have been clearer that I would use the Superhub has a modem only.

The archer A5 and C6 are cheaper options. Any reason not to go for one of those if reliability rather than all out speed is the aim? I’m asking here as I’m back in the dark ages with my wireless and router knowledge so all advice is much appreciated.

Soldato
I’d suggest a Mikrotik HEX for the router and treat yourself to a Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-HDFlex for your Wireless LAN. Yes, it’s going to be £200 but you get a truly fabulous router and truly fabulous WLAN.

Don’t believe the folks who tell you Mikrotik is hard to configure. It’s one screen, choose DHCP as your WAN source and enter a new password for the router. Everything else is 100% ready to go.

Soldato
Depends how much you want to spend really.

Asus RT-AC88u is a great shout. Pricey though.

The C80 is an AC1900 router. If you're looking at one of those, look at an Asus RT-AC68u

I've got one running on Merlin and it performs well.

Last edited:
Soldato
I replaced my virgin hub with a ASUS RT-AC86U, the difference is night and day, reaches everywhere in the house (std 3bed semi) and the man cave at the bottom of the garden, 8 metres from the house, I have at least 20 devices attached via WiFi, smart plugs, Blink Security Cameras (one on the man cave) etc and all connect without issue...it is ~£150 but its great to have stable WiFi...

Soldato
If the issue is WiFi related, then hard wire AP’s in logical locations to give you the coverage you want - putting a compromised AIO device in likely less optimal location is flawed from the outset.

Associate
There's nothing to stop you setting your new router to have the exact same wireless settings as the SuperHub. That way all your devices will just connect automatically to the new router.
An excellent suggestion, I was also thinking of adding separate wireless to my Virgin router and this will save me a headache.

Associate
Depends how much you want to spend really.

Asus RT-AC88u is a great shout. Pricey though.

The C80 is an AC1900 router. If you're looking at one of those, look at an Asus RT-AC68u

I've got one running on Merlin and it performs well.

Isn't the Asus one a DSL modem too? Noob question but can you still use it with a cable connection?

edit: Ah, no ignore me - I'm thinking of the DSL-AC88u :)

Back
Top Bottom