BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Caporegime
That explains why certain areas of this town have had G.fast while ducted and overhead areas haven't been touched. The 50s houses are in blocks of four, so one cable comes up the front of a house and then is distributed under the eaves to adjacent ones. I imagine that's a nightmare to try and handle in terms of wayleaves if you're putting fibre in.

Associate
I've had to terminate my BT FTTP. They could only offer 330/50 for £60 unless I signed a two year contract in which case it was £50 a month. They cannot offer faster speeds because of capacity reasons and have no idea when they will be able to. Annoying as I like BT but I can get 1000/50 for the same price on a 12 month contract with Virgin Media. Hopefully in a years time BT will have sorted it out!!

Caporegime
Very fortunate to have both options that you can bounce between, could even get a cheap 80Mbps FTTP service turned on once other ISPs get involved to use for critical latency applications and a backup to VM if this work from home thing becomes the norm.

Caporegime
I had an email from Openreach the other week:

The trucks are rolling, here we go!

We're starting the upgrade of our network very close to your home. This phase of work can take up to 12 weeks to complete depending on how many premises are in your area and how complex our network is to serve each site.

Stop and say "hi" when you see us, and if there is any issue with our work in your area, tell us about it here and we'll do what we can to make it right.

We're sorry if we cause you any inconvenience during this build phase in your area but we are sure you'll be proud of your new Ultrafast service.

We have overhead cables to the house, and I noticed that on a nearby pole there are a couple of cable coils that have been taped to the phone pole....Is this really going to take 3 months?

Associate
Very fortunate to have both options that you can bounce between, could even get a cheap 80Mbps FTTP service turned on once other ISPs get involved to use for critical latency applications and a backup to VM if this work from home thing becomes the norm.

Not a bad idea! I'm basically waiting for the ISP Toob to cover my area, should be by end of 2021, they offer proper 900/900 internet at £25 a month.

Soldato
I was just curious if anyone had a real-world example of what "soon" might look like in reality but I guess it's an unknown quantity really.

In my case it was December that Openreach told me FTTP was on the way. I think it was late March that it updated to say that FTTP was available to order. BT were not taking orders at the time so I ended up placing my order on 17/5 and had it installed 9/6.

I guess Covid 19 delayed things by about 6 weeks.

Soldato
In my case it was December that Openreach told me FTTP was on the way. I think it was late March that it updated to say that FTTP was available to order. BT were not taking orders at the time so I ended up placing my order on 17/5 and had it installed 9/6.

I guess Covid 19 delayed things by about 6 weeks.

Thanks for the info buddy.

Soldato
No worries. Don't rely on Openreach telling you when the build is complete and FTTP is available to order. In theory they were going to keep me updated but I've not had a single email since they emailed to say they'd keep me updated. I was checking their fibre checker every few days.

Soldato
I'm always lucky, i don't why my exchange is always amongst the first in the UK for updates. But we got FTTP few years ago, one day the cables went in, a week later another team turned up and fitted the stuff at the top of the poles. That was it, not notifications that it was fitted, it was a while before any of the suppliers had it available.
If anyone knows why my exchange is special it would be interesting to know, Manchester (Swinton).

Soldato
Openreach engineer recently told me that cityfibre are installing fibre locally which is full fibre.

Today they are laying fibre on my road, I am wondering if this means in future I might be getting gigabit internet here as that is what City Fibre are doing. Installing FTTP around the UK.

Associate
For me to get a true full fibre isp is has to be vodafone here in Bournemouth no other choice as far as i know.

There are construction signs down the road and by our pavements so they will start work very soon.

I look forward to it.

Edit

The installation of fibre on my street is done by city fibre.

Dan.

Caporegime
I hope so!I am worried whether or not BT are not going to use their infrastructure and or if they will wire up my apartments or if everyone on my roads going to get it but we wont lol.
You should probably start talking to whoever manages the freehold of your building sooner rather than later, to ensure that Cityfibre don't just get rejected for the wayleaves required to install - it's unlikely they will come back if buildings are missed out.

Caporegime
What would I even say?
Might be worth speaking to Cityfibre first to make sure your building is part of the plans, then they may have some stock letters etc. Wouldn't hurt to write a letter to everyone in the block to ensure they're onside and if/when it actually comes to applying for the wayleave then the factors or agents know everyone (or nearly everyone) is in agreement.

Don
Managed to get the Master Socket moved over the weekend...

0pxhFyxl.jpg
VFtt73Ll.jpg
6YtMzLwl.jpg
Some pictures of the before - the blank conduit is for mains cable for the Air Source Heat Pump, and was installed after the BT Drop wire. The poor quality crimping on the cat5e adsl wire was my doing when I had to move the Router in a hurry due to new radiators being installed at the same time as the ASHP (but it worked fine and I never got round to replacing).

rVnKf3gl.jpg
GLmZFvvl.jpg
G2IPwTQl.jpg
CLGxvrxl.jpg
8mm x 400mm drill bit, went through mortar outside and made a reasonably clean hole on the inside. Secured the new backbox with 4 screws as 2 didn't seem very sturdy.
Removed the MK3 faceplate from the old master socket, and then the front of the socket to find... "Jelly Crimps". Not sure why they were there, but certainly not going to beneficial. (Also the cabling doesn't follow BT's "standard" as everything I read says that orange should go to "A")

Cut the cable where it originally went through the wall, then undid all the existing cable clips and pulled it back and rerun down the wall to the new hole. After feeding through needed to cut approximately 2 Meters off.
Could probably have trimmed a bit more off as there isn't much room behind the faceplate, but the new camlocks are easy - just insert the Orange and Orange/white wires and then press down to make the connection (and I wired them the "correct" way).

s9XM3EHl.jpg
rwVyC65l.jpg
Master socket now within 1m of the router, so back to a standard premade DSL cable (although I have ordered a couple of shorter ones to try).

Initial impressions on Saturday were good - Upstream synced 250Kbps higher straight away, Downstream showed an attainable rate of around 34Mbps (although still connected at 22399 as I believe the line has been banded).

However upon monitoring for most of yesterday the Downstream attainable and SNR Margin have been all over the place (dropping as low as 15999, although the line has stayed synced at 22399 and not dropped connection) - not sure what's going on with this

Back
Top Bottom