• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
at the halo end of the market where everybody wants to see them compete.
Not at all. I'd much rather they priced their 5700 XT replacement at £300 max than wave their willy around at £1,000+ trying to take the performance crown.

The tech nerd in me would love to see AMD back on top, the consumer in me is not paying stupid money for a card.

Caporegime
The problem for AMD is that Nvidia could easily have both, bit faster than the 2080ti performance for a chunk less and the top Halo card for big money.

And, if that is AMD's halo card that means they aren't competing at the halo end of the market where everybody wants to see them compete.

And yet they never do.... my 5700XT is faster than a 2070 and cheaper, Nvidia are like Apple and Intel, they market themselves as premium and with it you pay a premium tax.

Soldato
Not at all. I'd much rather they priced their 5700 XT replacement at £300 max than wave their willy around at £1,000+ trying to take the performance crown.

The tech nerd in me would love to see AMD back on top, the consumer in me is not paying stupid money for a card.

2080Ti performance for £450 with useable ray tracing? I think that'd sell well.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

But why not both? Why not have a good mid range and still dominate at the top? I want to see this. Before I would not have expected it as I knew due to financial reasons that was not possible. But they are much better of financially now are they not?

Soldato

That's you, but, the market has shown that it's willing to pay to have the extra performance. And having the fastest high end card doesn't just affect the high end. It trickles down to lower end cards too.

But why not both? Why not have a good mid range and still dominate at the top? I want to see this. Before I would not have expected it as I knew due to financial reasons that was not possible. But they are much better of financially now are they not?

They are talking about competing at the high end so I presume that means they will have both.

Associate
I recently moved from Intel CPUs to AMD (3950x).

Kept my 1080 though. Honestly, if AMD can offer something either equal to or within 5% of a 3080Ti at a better price. I would jump to them on GPU aswell.

Anything over 10% behind Nvidia tho, unless the price difference is huge i don't see enthusiasts turning away from Nvidia. I hope this isn't the case though, be a shame if AMD only concentrated on the mid range of the high end market.

Soldato
That's you, but, the market has shown that it's willing to pay to have the extra performance. And having the fastest high end card doesn't just affect the high end. It trickles down to lower end cards too.
And our forum here, amongst others, complains endlessly about the market priced obscenely because people will pay the money. Granted, the technology found at the very high end trickles down to the lower tiers, but so do the ridiculously high prices. This is why we have 2070 Supers over £500 and 5700 XTs launching at £450, and 2080 Tis over £1,000 yet not offering performance gains over the previous generation worth the price hike.

So I say again, I'd love to see AMD regain the top spot, but if that top spot means the mid-range cards are £450+ again, I won't be buying, and it's not going to help their market share or mindshare.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
i would also be happy with that, as it shows they're going in the right direct. . . however, there are people that would slam it because its only as good as 2yr old tech.

True but most of us cannot (afford) and will not pretend to be happy spending on such a component, so it may be 2 yr old tech - which was top end, but a newer component that has fresh features that is marginally an improvement on it for lets argue 60% of the price would be accepted and crush the market.

Even if it's 2080ti performance or a bit more for a more realistic price i don;t see how that's a bad thing. The price is whats keeping a lot of people away from buying the 2080ti so if amd can pull that performance +10% or so for maybe £650-700 or so then its all good.

Precisely my view on this.

Soldato
I strongly doubt that. I would suspect about half (so £600-£700). Unless of course Nvidia decide to get ultra competitive at that performance and price level.

You may be right but it won't be a big seller at that. Taking AMD'S strategy with Intel as a template I think they're going to come out hard to take back market share and mindshare. Bearing in mind that it is the same people at the top making the decisions.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
You may be right but it won't be a big seller at that. Taking AMD'S strategy with Intel as a template I think they're going to come out hard to take back market share and mindshare. Bearing in mind that it is the same people at the top making the decisions.

Kind of wishing this too as its a slim chance, but I think a good short term strategy would be to take a hit and undercut to achieve this so they fly off the shelves and take more market share from the competition. This is of course if they have confidence that the ryzen lineup will continue to dominate, sales of consoles should be a given, and pressuring the discrete GPU segment this way might be the only opportunity AMD have in their GPU arm of striking while the iron is hot.

Soldato
And our forum here, amongst others, complains endlessly about the market priced obscenely because people will pay the money. Granted, the technology found at the very high end trickles down to the lower tiers, but so do the ridiculously high prices. This is why we have 2070 Supers over £500 and 5700 XTs launching at £450, and 2080 Tis over £1,000 yet not offering performance gains over the previous generation worth the price hike.

So I say again, I'd love to see AMD regain the top spot, but if that top spot means the mid-range cards are £450+ again, I won't be buying, and it's not going to help their market share or mindshare.

You responded to my post which was in response to someone saying that that they would be happy if AMD's top card was little bit faster than the 2080TI for a chunk less. But, if AMD's top card is only just above 2080TI performance, then it's not going to be competing at the high end. This forum here, and others, complain endlessly about AMD not competing at the high thus allowing Nvidia to charge what they like.

The prices will be what they are. But, what we do know is that people are willing to pay more for the extra performance. That might be down to just good marketing by Nvidia. The only way to combat this is by having the better cards. Better cards at cheaper prices would be great. But they can't do what they have done for the last decade or so. Have cheaper cards that are not quite as good.

Soldato

I hope they come out fighting too, but, the only way to do this is to have better GPUs. That's it.

Lisa Su made a big deal about AMD not been the budget brand in GPUs anymore. Besides reducing prices to win market share hasn't really worked for them in the past.

Soldato
I hope they come out fighting too, but, the only way to do this is to have better GPUs. That's it.

Lisa Su made a big deal about AMD not been the budget brand in GPUs anymore. Besides reducing prices to win market share hasn't really worked for them in the past.

I think the key thing to mention is that they need better GPUs for the money. AMD could have worse GPUs but move them all down a price tier and suddenly they beat the competition. Assuming it could be done profitably they'd be better to lose the fight on the top tier and win all the others. I think this is where AMD lack and Nvidia have superior marketing strategy. Nvidia are good at moving everything up a tier to make more profit especially when there is no competition.

Which level of chip each company pitch at a given price point will determine this.

Soldato
Nvidia's GPU is also at 350 Watts, that's very high for Nvidia.... why so high? Not at all like Nvidia/.
------------------

Pinch of salt:

80 CU's (5,120 Shaders) @ 2760Mhz

I see speculation that it could be 28 Tflop and saturate PCIE 3.0 x16. Could make sense as to why they rushed to PCIE 4.0? Could also be wishful thinking ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom