The C8 Corvette now shown without camouflage - 'vette going mid-engined

Soldato
£50k Cayman T
£60k Giulia Quadrifoglio.
£70k Cayman GT4
£80k Lotus Evroa GT410

I wouldn’t spend £81k on a Corvette anytime soon.

Soldato
£50k Cayman T
£70k Cayman GT4
£80k Lotus Evroa GT410

I dont think those cars are in the same league, performance wise. The Corvette is more like a bargain 570 rather than an expensive Cayman. Plus, if you bought a new Porsche you'd probably add £10k-£20k in options without even trying (and you've rounded down those prices, e.g. The GT4 is £76k+ for example).

Last edited:
Soldato
£50k Cayman T
£70k Cayman GT4
£80k Lotus Evroa GT410

I just tried specifying a 911 Targa 4, which is a more comparable Porsche, and quickly got to over £110,000 without even matching the C8's equipment level. That's a £30k premium for the Porsche, in that instance, as a result.

That particular Porsche is also 110bhp down, has 139lb ft less, is ~1.5 sec slower to 60mph (that's a massive difference at this level), 15mph slower at the top end, 10kg heavier, isn't a mid-engined car... etc.

Just as a kicker, the C8 has also already lapped the Nürburgring quicker than the even more powerful 992 Carrera S, too.

The 911 also still can't be had with features such as a head-up display, whereas that's long been an option on the Corvette. That doesn't bother me, mind, but it's an annoyance for some who like modern features.

As always, perspective is crucial. No, people won't be flocking from Porsche dealerships to buy one – but for those seeking something different, it's (as always) a lot of bang for your buck.

Consider it a budget McLaren or Ferrari, which is probably the more accurate frame of reference. As Joe suggests, it's a mid-engined sports car that offers supercar-like performance. A 488 starts at £251,000, for comparison.

Last edited:
Soldato
I just tried specifying a 911 Targa 4, which is a more comparable Porsche, and quickly got to over £110,000 without even matching the C8's equipment level. That's a £30k premium for the Porsche, in that instance, as a result.

That particular Porsche is also 110bhp down, has 139lb ft less, is ~1.5 sec slower to 60mph (that's a massive difference at this level), 15mph slower at the top end, 10kg heavier, isn't a mid-engined car... etc.

Just as a kicker, the C8 has also already lapped the Nürburgring quicker than the even more powerful 992 Carrera S, too.

The 911 also still can't be had with features such as a head-up display, whereas that's long been an option on the Corvette. That doesn't bother me, mind, but it's an annoyance for some who like modern features.

As always, perspective is crucial. No, people won't be flocking from Porsche dealerships to buy one – but for those seeking something different, it's (as always) a lot of bang for your buck.

Consider it a budget McLaren or Ferrari, which is probably the more accurate frame of reference. As Joe suggests, it's a mid-engined sports car that offers supercar-like performance. A 488 starts at £251,000, for comparison.

It’s an £80k Chevrolet. I think that is the best frame of reference.

Soldato
It’s an £80k Chevrolet. I think that is the best frame of reference.

I completely see where you're coming from but I don't think that would phase buyers of such a car – those who will be looking for something different, interesting and comparatively affordable and high-performance.

The Alpine A110 is perhaps a comparable example of such a similar occurrence; it's sold particularly well, despite its lack of significant brand appeal (in modern terms). Enthusiasts, recognising what it offers, have flocked to it regardless of the badge. The Corvette, by comparison, has a lot more recent cachet in terms of motorsport success, performance and technology.

Just as a slight curveball fact, while I'm thinking about it, for those who might deem this some low-volume, limited-appeal affair; Chevrolet built 34,822 Corvettes last year – and Porsche built 34,800 911s.

Soldato
I absolutely love the look. It's like a mix of the new NSX and a Ferrari but it's a shame the interior is absolutely terrible.

Thanks, I was trying to figure out, other than Ferrari, what else it looked like and the NSX/Ferrari combo is perfect! Again, shame about that interior, but that seems to be something the US buyers aren't as dissuaded by as we might be.

OcUK Staff
People who understand cars will see past the badge. :)

It is by all means a great car and for the specification level it is for sure good value and better than similar competing cars.

I am the ideal customer and I am looking to add another high performance car to the fleet but I cannot pinpoint it but for whatever reason and I normally love American cars this is just not doing anything for me, maybe if I did not own the 458 I may feel a little different but then at same time I'd take the 458 every time over this as having driven the Camaro and Corvette with this LS motor though super it is I found it was missing one thing, revs, it is really flat beyond 6000-6500 area.

But new cars aside I feel what may put a few of this car is potential depreciation, lets face it that could be huge, but on the other side enthusiast buying these may also not be parting with them they might be long keep or forever cars potentially because finally a right hand drive Corvette. Plus lets face it the car does have super car looks so at 81k compared to say 150-200k for a new or newish Ferrari this may win a lot of customers and of course cheaper running cost potentially, I say potentially as my Ferrari has cost me nothing in servicing in repairs due to the 7yr service pack and 2yr warranty they all come with.

But for me my 70-80k is most likely going on a GT3, its another dream car for me and a very safe place to put your money, Corvette is an unknown and also to many others now the Mclaren 570S are dropping below 80k used and well that will be very attractive to many for fact its a supercar and its levels of performance are in another league, but downside sounds rubbish, unreliable, fall apart, depreciation hard still but unknown how much further they can fall.

I know you should never compare new vs used but the Mustang when introduced came up against it and that was a 35k car new on launch, the Corvette will have a harder time at 81k with so many supercars and a lot of Porsche GT and Turbp metal now being around these values with used warranties. GT4 60-70k, GT3 80-90k and Turbo 90k area for all 2014 onwards models most with 2yr OPC warranties gives the Corvette some stiff competition, I myself will be going Porsche camp and I am a great potential new customer or Corvette but for similar money GT3 everytime.

Soldato
It is by all means a great car and for the specification level it is for sure good value and better than similar competing cars.

I am the ideal customer and I am looking to add another high performance car to the fleet but I cannot pinpoint it but for whatever reason and I normally love American cars this is just not doing anything for me, maybe if I did not own the 458 I may feel a little different but then at same time I'd take the 458 every time over this as having driven the Camaro and Corvette with this LS motor though super it is I found it was missing one thing, revs, it is really flat beyond 6000-6500 area.

But new cars aside I feel what may put a few of this car is potential depreciation, lets face it that could be huge, but on the other side enthusiast buying these may also not be parting with them they might be long keep or forever cars potentially because finally a right hand drive Corvette. Plus lets face it the car does have super car looks so at 81k compared to say 150-200k for a new or newish Ferrari this may win a lot of customers and of course cheaper running cost potentially, I say potentially as my Ferrari has cost me nothing in servicing in repairs due to the 7yr service pack and 2yr warranty they all come with.

But for me my 70-80k is most likely going on a GT3, its another dream car for me and a very safe place to put your money, Corvette is an unknown and also to many others now the Mclaren 570S are dropping below 80k used and well that will be very attractive to many for fact its a supercar and its levels of performance are in another league, but downside sounds rubbish, unreliable, fall apart, depreciation hard still but unknown how much further they can fall.

I know you should never compare new vs used but the Mustang when introduced came up against it and that was a 35k car new on launch, the Corvette will have a harder time at 81k with so many supercars and a lot of Porsche GT and Turbp metal now being around these values with used warranties. GT4 60-70k, GT3 80-90k and Turbo 90k area for all 2014 onwards models most with 2yr OPC warranties gives the Corvette some stiff competition, I myself will be going Porsche camp and I am a great potential new customer or Corvette but for similar money GT3 everytime.

Im interested to see what Porsche have done with the Cayman GT4 RS. The potential is massive.

OcUK Staff
Im interested to see what Porsche have done with the Cayman GT4 RS. The potential is massive.

Yes should be an epic car but as with all Porsche GT products getting one new at list is near impossible unless you’ve given the dealership a lot of business which is a shame.

But it could be shy of 100k new and if it’s 450HP circa be a hell of a car.

Soldato

I still want one. Hopefully the RHD cars still happen and the prices are somewhat reasonable, I guess there's still no info on UK pricing? Will they just do a direct conversion + taxes or adjust for the market I wonder.

Just as a vaguely useful reference (US made and transported cars, subject to same import tax VAT etc.):

Tesla Model S LR US Price = $73,190 inc delivery and taxes, ignoring incentives (£56,202)
Tesla Model S LR UK Price = £74,980, ignoring incentives. ($97,639)

So that's a 33% price increase for the UK, which would put a C8 3LT Z51 @ £78,798 ($102,653). Bargain still really, never know the 10% tariff on US car imports might be different by then aswell.

Back
Top Bottom