• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
It would be interesting what everyone's response to the Digital Edition would be if they introduced some of the things MS tried with X1 (that was shot down before launch!). What if there was a Digital Marketplace you could sell/buy licenses? What if Game/Amazon etc. could have their own storefront to run promotions etc.? No brainer at that point isn't it? Such a shame the X1 got shot into flames and all these plans have been lost.

Soldato
I could live with the design if it came in black.

No black version, no deal for me I am afraid. That said I may change my mind once I see it in the flesh but it's unlikely I will buy anything white as it itsnt my thing and would also look out of place where it needs to live.

Soldato
Not my meme and I'm sure it's prob already been posted but I started typing PS5 ey... Into google which is the first thing that came to my mind today and it auto completed eye of sauron already.

Here's hoping for an add on kit.

Loyy1Ye.jpg

Event felt a bit flat but there's no surprises left really. We all know what to expect from next gen graphics and games.

This needs to be silent though. Even the latest PS4 Pro hardware is still too noisy compared to the XB1X and i'm really hoping it's not a trait carried forward.

Caporegime
I will continue to buy discs while ever it's possible, I prefer private ownership versus a system that can take your purchased property away at any minute.

Plus digital being cheap due to no manufacturing costs etc never materialised and it seems to be quite the opposite particularly for old games, you can pick up old games from shops for £10-15 whereas digital stores are still charging full whack.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It is still ridiculous.

This made me laugh:

img
Haha. Exactly this. Needed to be GTA6... I hope they received a ton of money for placing it first, otherwise that was stupid!

The games prices will be crazy without a disc slot.

£60 a game at PS Store prices, lol. No thanks.

+1

Not at all. £60 for a game that you can't sell on is ridiculous.

+1

Going this route means you either never get to play games day 1 and need to wait 1-2 years for a sale or buy it at £60 then plus DLC you are looking at close to £100 per game. Yeah, I think not!

Only way I would do it is buy digital version in say 5 or so years, by then there will be games available on sale. But even this still cheaper going physical and sell on in many cases unless games drop to £10 or less.

Like for example I managed to get Final Fantasy 7 Remake at a good pre order price with dlc included. Had it for a month and sold at no cost to me, selling dlc desperate paid for postage and eBay fees. Do that 10 times and it pays for the console.

Soldato
It's only a matter of time before SSDs become mandatory for PC. I'm holding off until they do. I'll need a 2TB drive, and they're currently expensive. I don't fancy spending the best part of £200, only to find out later that it isn't fast enough or is the wrong format.

Find that a strange statement in my opinion SSD's have become mandatory for quite some time. You dont need to buy a 2TB SSD. A 256gb SSD or 512gb SSD boot drive is fine.
In my PC I've got a very fast Nvme 512gb SSD for my C: drive, a 512gb SSD for my Steam Drive, a 1tb SSD for my games drive and a 2TB Hard drive for my pictures, photos, documents, etc etc.

The two SSD's I've pretty much had for ages.

Sorry bit off topic.

Soldato
It looks like some Alienware bohemoth yes but whatever - as long as the thermals are ok and it isn't too loud I am fine. My PS4 Pro for example isn't too loud and bareable being near my PC area. My PC is an old but very capable 2011 Sandybridge i7 2600k @ 5.1ghz with a 1070 @ 1080p. I'll likely build a new SFF machine at some point but the cost of GPU's can do one - pointless having one imo if there isn't much to take advantage of it so I'll likely use the same 1070.

Chances of me getting the PS5 are high. Missus and I are moving into our own place soon and we'll need a machine to hook upto a 4k TV. At the same time it would be nice to have a UHD BR player for times when I want to be wow'd. HZD2 seals the deal for me. My budget is around £650 tops but I really do want a BLACK one fs.

The Pro hasn't had much use sadly as I haven't had my own space during the time I've owned it. Red Dead and HZD are the games that I used it most heaviest for.

Soldato
Am I alone then in thinking that PS Store prices are insane?

Does everyone want to pay £60 per game with no 2nd hand market?

I guess everybody became millionaires overnight :p
I said this two years ago that I feared that the direction of consoles would be discless in order to remove the 2nd hand market. Sony and MS then control the pricing and console gamers are screwed. I can see the appeal of folks opting for the discless model as everyone wants instant convenience just like Physical BR media vs Streaming but it can backfire.

Mind you, I recall paying £93 for Streetfighter 2 on the SNES back in the day!

Soldato
I wouldn’t mind the digital edition, but I have a couple of reservations.

Firstly, it has to be 2TB minimum. Anything less will be a waste of time.

Secondly, Digital games have always been ridiculously priced, especially at launch

Lastly, I like the fact that with a drive, you can go to places like CEX and get really good bargains on second hand games.

Maybe I’m just being pernicious, but it’s just a worry I have about going digital only.

It won't be 2TB. The "Digital Edition" is obviously designed to be a cheaper alternative, so there is really no way it is going to ship with any more than the 825GB drive - it'll simply make it too expensive.
By the time you're looking at filling the 825GB, then the add-in drives should be available - so slotting in an additional 1.6TB for example.
Combine that with something like a 2TB external SSD for storage of games and playing PS4 ones, should be fine.

Digital games are always RRP until discounted. That can take it's time. At retail, retailers can discount as much as they like, hence the far quicker apparent drops in price.

Soldato
Its listed under my account in the pre orders section though. I had to go through the checkout
Yes, but as no retailer knows how many units they are getting nor knows anything about pricing, you've effectively pre-ordered a pre-order.
Fine if that is what you want to do - I'm personally waiting for actual pre-orders.

Pet Northerner
Don
Yes, but as no retailer knows how many units they are getting nor knows anything about pricing, you've effectively pre-ordered a pre-order.
Fine if that is what you want to do - I'm personally waiting for actual pre-orders.

from the site:

To register your interest please take into account the following points:
  1. Clicking "Buy" is not purchasing this console, this is just to register your interest and put a place holder pre-order.
  2. We will inform you as soon as a price has been confirmed, allowing you to make the decision whether you would like to keep or cancel your pre-order.
To me it seems to imply you get a place in the pre-order Q, then decide to lock in when prices are confirmed. It gets you ahead of the wave

Associate
Yes, thats how i read it, as a place in the pre-order queue. Im waiting for the Amazon pre-order but best to hedge my bets, I need to keep my launch day Playstation tradition going :)

Associate
Nope.

By my count, they showed off 5 first party games:

Spider Man
Ratchet
Sackboy
GT7
Horizon

Happy to be corrected though.

The rest are all third party. Returnal and Demon Souls are PS5 exclusives. The bulk of remaining third-party titles are timed console exclusives; they'll launch on PS5 and PC. The only exceptions being the three I mentioned in the other post.

To be fair, Microsoft had a bit of this too during their reveal last month. But not on the same scale.

Spiderman is first game with enhancement and DLC, so shouldn't count on your list :p

Soldato
Tempted to pre-order but I'd like to know what titles will be available at launch first as an awful lot of those in the showcase last night were slated for 2021 release. I'd want to know there's something more exciting to play than a 4K remaster of GTA5 at launch before dropping ~£500 on the system :)

Back
Top Bottom