The Last of Us Part II

Soldato
Are reviews not including the second half of the game then? :O

Not sure how you get that, as i understand all they cant do is discuss the 2nd half of the game, any problems with that part either story/game play/performance would be included in the final score even though they could not mention specifics. Not just a Sony thing from what has been mentioned, even though it may stricter than others.

Caporegime
I'm a bit out of touch with all of the politics of this game but am I to believe the few poor reviews are the only legitimate ones because the other 80+ positive reviews have all come from companies that have been paid off by Sony?

Soldato
I'm a bit out of touch with all of the politics of this game but am I to believe the few poor reviews are the only legitimate ones because the other 80+ positive reviews have all come from companies that have been paid off by Sony?
Game reviewers from the bigger outlets for a very long time have given higher scores to games that embrace certain ideologies, and lower scores to games that don't. I 'm not sure why people would take what the likes of IGN etc have to say about games, independent game reviewers on youtube are just better, balanced, and more nuanced.

Caporegime
Games reviewers on YouTube have a vested interest to be controversial with their reviews for hits so I don't not know why they would be anymore believable than other reviewers.

Had a look on the Reddit page for this game earlier and it's full of people trying to convince others to make multiple metacritic accounts so they can mark this game down.

Something seems to have turned a lot of people in to absolute but jobs when it comes to this game.

Soldato
I think it’s because the first game was really good and built up the story of the characters really well. This one just throws all that out the window to make a point and be as dark as possible. It’s like Naughtydog have just given a big up yours to the fans. It’s part of the reason a lot of staff left during production. Druckman would not take advice from his colleagues who said the story is not what the fans want instead preferring advice from external controversial people.

Associate
I'm still going to play this game just to see how it pans out but I don't think they should have made a sequel there was no need to carry on the story.

Soldato

Nope, they just seem a bit more honest and realistic because they actually articulate more about the game itself e.g. Skillup talks about AI, stealth and combat shortcomings and adresses problems with the story without spoiling too much but he also mentions all the positive aspects. All the major reviews seem like written with a template and make lots of ridiculous claims and vague praise, especially main branch IGN. No one is saying they're all paid off but knowing what I know about the game and even watching the first 3h today, I'm rather reluctant to think it's all so perfect in every aspect. I'm just not impressed with this level of writing, as hard as I tried.

I think more lukewarm reviews will come, just after the official release.

The only way to judge it is to either play it or watch it, as usual. I'm only interested what fellow gamers think of it later on.

kdd

kdd

Soldato
Tbh I'm not overly worried if it's only good rather than amazing, I would happily play through a new tlou adventure on those terms. Naughty Dog always make fun games.

kdd

kdd

Soldato
That skill up guy seems very negative about some things others are very positive about, things that look pretty good in gameplay videos I have watched, so I am going to make my own mind up. Other than that he seems to be pulling a star wars style hatchet job on the plot.

Edit- I will add that he pans the plot as a shallow revenge story whereas ign for example say that the plot explores very dark themes well, that seems to be the main conflict there

Last edited:
Soldato
That skill up guy seems very negative about some things others are very positive about, things that look pretty good in gameplay videos I have watched, so I am going to make my own mind up. Other than that he seems to be pulling a star wars style hatchet job on the plot.

Edit- I will add that he pans the plot as a shallow revenge story whereas ign for example say that the plot explores very dark themes well, that seems to be the main conflict there

Having read the leaks a while ago, it is a generic revenge story, as he rightly points out the character arcs from the 1st have been thrown out the window seemingly. I would state the combat from the 1st was pretty ****, it was the story that kept me coming back. Each to their own tho :)

Soldato
Some more negative reviews:
https://www.polygon.com/reviews/202...-2-review-ps4-naughty-dog-ellie-joel-violence
https://www.kotaku.co.uk/2020/06/12/the-last-of-us-part-ii-the-kotaku-review
https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://jp.ign.com/the-last-of-us-2/44388/review/the-last-of-us-part-ii
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/wxqnxy/last-of-us-part-2-review

Having read the leaks a while ago, it is a generic revenge story, as he rightly points out the character arcs from the 1st have been thrown out the window seemingly. I would state the combat from the 1st was pretty ****, it was the story that kept me coming back. Each to their own tho :)

This is what the more criticial reviews are saying,and that the story and motivations of the characters don't make much sense,compared to the first game.

Soldato
WTH!!! Haven't read at any of the review but KoTaku?? Lol they must still be mad about crunch but I refuse to give them a click.

From my understanding only seeing snips.

There's a real disconnect between what you are actually doing in game and what the story is trying to tell you.

Sounds like Naughty Dog has failed at being Naughty Dog.

kdd

kdd

Soldato
Polygon have got a point: TLOU was sickeningly violent in content and its bodycount. Under Joel's careful tutelage Ellie becomes an utterly amoral killing machine whilst remaining, in some senses fairly friendly. Joel made the first game very dark for me, he is a very broken man who feels like life is behind him who just does his terrible job in the new world of sudden cruel fate he lives in.

Soldato
I’ll
I'll wait for user reviews - anything from review sites is meaningless to me. The skill up review was ok, though he admits to disliking TLOU - but mainly due to gameplay, rather than story; and he seems to confirm that the story in #2 is kind of meaningless - a petty revenge plot. I guess that's to be expected though - didn't some of the key writers leave ND after the first? We all know why they cannot talk about a chunk of the game though - it's the new protagonist!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom