• Digital Only Version

Votes: 170 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 659 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.6%

• Total voters
Soldato
I don't even think they need a new headset just yet. This one works fine and also the controllers will not be changing as the controller still has the led colour strip.

Sit the vr headset next to that new set of headphones and tell me they don't compliment each other.

Sony has been slightly quiet on the whole backwards compatibility though. They've said the 100 "most popular" games will work but they've stopped short of actually committing to backwards compatibility for specific games or hardware like psvr.

People moaning over a 5 - 600 piece of tech that's gonna last 5 years plus but think nothing of spending 1000 on the latest smartphone

makes me laugh

What makes me laugh is talking to people who've bought the latest Samsung/Apple phone and I ask them whether it's worth the money. To which they always reply

"I'd never spend £1000 on a phone this one's only £80 a month (2 year contract)" :D

I'm sure Microsoft and Sony will switch to contact deals in the near future as most people seem incapable of working out simple arithmetic!

Man of Honour
I remember when I was a kid, I always got the latest console at Christmas, but they was like £150 odd back then. I can see the PS4 having a few years left yet. So many parents are simply going to be unable to afford it.

You need to take inflation in to account. Just out of interest, which consoles are you talking about? PS1, N64, PS2, all MS consoles were £250+ on launch. Do the maths and you'll see consoles are typically launched at a price over £400 in today's money.

Soldato
Not keen on the design. Thing the series x looks more to my liking. I got rid of my PS4 pro ages ago as I just never used it. And when I did, the fact it sounded like a jet engine just bugged me. Sold it and got back into PC games.

have to say though the launch trailers looked amazing. So much better then the series x. I’m genuinely interested in getting one and I thought my console days were behind me. I’ll reserve judgment on the looks until I see one but it looks to small to cool well and quietly.

Caporegime
You need to take inflation in to account. Just out of interest, which consoles are you talking about? PS1, N64, PS2, all MS consoles were £250+ on launch. Do the maths and you'll see consoles are typically launched at a price over £400 in today's money.
NES, SNES, N64, Jaguar (much to my shame). £400 is expensive, but some people are talking near £600 for PS5.

Back in the day, a console cost about the equivalent of 2 days wages for my dad, most people don’t earn £600 a week these days.

Man of Honour
NES, SNES, N64, Jaguar (much to my shame). £400 is expensive, but some people are talking near £600 for PS5.

Back in the day, a console cost about the equivalent of 2 days wages for my dad, most people don’t earn £600 a week these days.

You really need to break out an inflation calculator. Your maths indicate your Dad was earning £125 per day, which is the equivalent of a £60k salary, but then you compare that a £30k salary today.

Caporegime
You really need to break out an inflation calculator. Your maths indicate your Dad was earning £125 per day, which is the equivalent of a £60k salary, but then you compare that a £30k salary today.
Yeah, bit of a maths fail. I just see this being very hard for many parents to afford. Other things such as mortgages and bills are also a lot more expensive today.

In all probability, there’s just probably gonna be shed loads of these bought on credit cards this Christmas.

Associate
OP
They seem to have a mixed bag of reviews, I haven't used them before so can't comment and dropping a big purchase is a leap of faith so to speak. Have you used them before? Experience any good?

Shawrey

Used them for digital content mainly in recent times and haven’t had an issue.

They’ll use DPD for their delivery which to me is the best of a bad bunch.

I suspect many will plump for Amazon but then I’ve had more than my fair share of problems with them over the years so it swings in roundabouts.

Associate
Used them for digital content mainly in recent times and haven’t had an issue.

They’ll use DPD for their delivery which to me is the best of a bad bunch.

I suspect many will plump for Amazon but then I’ve had more than my fair share of problems with them over the years so it swings in roundabouts.

So just sounds like a few bad experiences (which can happen anywhere) and they paint a dire picture for them.

I did see that it would be DPD tracked and agree definitely the best of a bad bunch, DPD are normally really prompt round here.

I'll probably drop an order on Amazon as well and see what is what and agreed, people can and have had bad experiences even with them but simply due to the scale of Amazon you rarely hear of it. I wonder how many will be pre-ordering PS5 and then trying to return it for a refund with their PS4 shoved in the box like the old GPU scams they had :D.

@Gibbo what would really seal the deal would be if OcUK took orders for the new consoles like you did for Xbox One and PS4 ;).

Shawrey

Soldato
Better not go in that direction, otherwise people like me, i.e., those with no access to fibre internet, are screwed.

The number of people without good internet will probably go down over time though. If you are one of the unlucky last 0.1% to get fast internet then yes, bad luck.

Soldato
I spent £190 on mine, where are you going with this?

that a lot of people cant work out the true value of things

like someone moaning at paying £40 for the latest AAA game title that's probably going to give 20+ hours of entertainment

Whats that £2 an hour?

That's cheap entertainment, the same people are likely to pay a tenner to go watch a movie at the cinema

Associate
I'm waiting for the specs to see if the digital edition is worth it. I'm guessing it will have a bigger hard drive but you will end up paying more for games.

Soldato

Playstation 1 launched at £300 back in 1995. That's £580 today according to the BoE inflation calculator so by that estimate a PS5 should cost around £600!

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/inflation/inflation-calculator

I agree that wages haven't kept pace with inflation for many people but that's an argument for another thread/forum.....!

Pet Northerner
Don
that a lot of people cant work out the true value of things

like someone moaning at paying £40 for the latest AAA game title that's probably going to give 20+ hours of entertainment

Whats that £2 an hour?

That's cheap entertainment, the same people are likely to pay a tenner to go watch a movie at the cinema

That's always my barometer too when buying a new game. I always square up to a trip to the movies - which I do still do from time to time (but it's really a treat if I do).

I price these consoles up the same - if it hits 60fps @ 4k constantly it's much better value than buying the parts to upgrade a pc to do the same thing. For most people, these will probably last longer than a GPU.

Back
Top Bottom