• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK AMD Renoir review thread

Soldato

Hardware Unboxed review of the 4500U.

That performance increase in Handbreak from the 3500U is insane.

Really impressive chip, wouldn't mind a laptop with one of these myself.

Last edited:
Soldato
Received my one of the 4800U equipped Lenovo's just a couple of days ago. Admittedly heavily discounted, but what AMD have achieved here for the cost (consider that Lenovo could even offer this for sub £500 with discount), and the power envelope is staggering. The 4800U in standard 15W balanced mode, NOT higher TDP performance mode, was for example EASILY beating my friend's Desktop 8700 based Mac in both single and multithreaded performance in Cinebench. Considering that was top dog around a year ago, and is now being handily beaten by a 15W mobile part, in single core also...

This was for my family, perfect all rounder little machine, and the 8CU Vega was surprisingly pokey. OK its not a powerhouse and intensive stuff can bring it to its knees, but it's actually faster than the 7750 GDDR5 model I had in my HTPC up until last year, and is able to run things like Doom Eternal around the 60FPS mark at 1080p, albeit with dynamic resolution scaling often dropping to about half that. With that in mind I'm sure it'll run anything at LEAST 720P 30FPS+, and a lot of stuff at 1080P.
Impressive for integrated graphics.

Soldato
Received my one of the 4800U equipped Lenovo's just a couple of days ago. Admittedly heavily discounted, but what AMD have achieved here for the cost (consider that Lenovo could even offer this for sub £500 with discount), and the power envelope is staggering. The 4800U in standard 15W balanced mode, NOT higher TDP performance mode, was for example EASILY beating my friend's Desktop 8700 based Mac in both single and multithreaded performance in Cinebench. Considering that was top dog around a year ago, and is now being handily beaten by a 15W mobile part, in single core also...

This was for my family, perfect all rounder little machine, and the 8CU Vega was surprisingly pokey. OK its not a powerhouse and intensive stuff can bring it to its knees, but it's actually faster than the 7750 GDDR5 model I had in my HTPC up until last year, and is able to run things like Doom Eternal around the 60FPS mark at 1080p, albeit with dynamic resolution scaling often dropping to about half that. With that in mind I'm sure it'll run anything at LEAST 720P 30FPS+, and a lot of stuff at 1080P.
Impressive for integrated graphics.

That is impressive! Enjoy!

Soldato
Well it's for the mother-in-law, she's not the most technical, but she's very impressed with it.

And yes a quick perusal of the 3dmark Firestrike database suggests the Vega 8 (Renoir improved version), when paired with DDR4 3200, performs a little weaker than a 7790 desktop card (or GTX 660 for an Nvidia equivalent), and faster than a 7770.

I realise that's an older dedicated card now, around 5 years, but still very impressive for INTEGRATED.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes, I also liked it. Its scarily close to my 9880H even at balanced mode (and ESPECIALLY in performance mode with TDP raised), and I promise the fans this i9 needs, especially when the thing is unlocked to 90+W makes the fans on the Lenovo seem non existent :)

Soldato
That looks like the sweet spot to me if gaming is a big part of what you do.

The Lenovo deals are just amazing value though, and even without a dedicated GPU I'm still enjoying gaming on my Ideapad.

Yeah it is what it's primary use would be. Pity I won't receive it for a month or so yet.

Enjoy your machine. That's some steps AMD have gained lately. Im impressed!

Associate
Soldato
Would LOVE an XPS with renoir inside. Would be an insane laptop in every regard.

Sadly Dells history with AMD is not stellar, so I doubt it will happen in the near term, but one can dream.

Back
Top Bottom