LG CX (C10) OLED 2020 Thread

Soldato
Should I be concerned about what seems to be a downgrade from the C9 to the CX in terms of 10-bit (vs 12-bit) 4k support ?
Any other downgrades ?

There are no 12 bit consumer displays anyway so no you should not be concerned, also the HDMI 2.1 ports on the CX are 40Gbps were as the C9 are capable off 48Gbps but in real world usage this will not be an issue.

Soldato
Thanks @peahead
I understand that at the moment these reduced specs are not an issue but what about future proofing, particularly with the new wave/next gen of games consoles ?

No such thing as future proofing really tech will move on regardless, the next gen consoles will output in 10-bit and consumer display can only display 10-bit anyway and the CX can support 4K at 120Hz with 10-bit RGB 4:4:4 which is as good as it gets currently.

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Caporegime
No such thing as future proofing really tech will move on regardless, the next gen consoles will output in 10-bit and consumer display can only display 10-bit anyway and the CX can support 4K at 120Hz with 10-bit RGB 4:4:4 which is as good as it gets currently.

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Indeed

By the time that LG's panels are 12bit, they will no doubt go back to full-fat HDMI 2.1 at 48Gbps

Do we know for sure that consoles will also be limited to 40Gbps though?

Soldato
Indeed

By the time that LG's panels are 12bit, they will no doubt go back to full-fat HDMI 2.1 at 48Gbps

Do we know for sure that consoles will also be limited to 40Gbps though?

I guess the question would be, what would the console be outputting that needs above 40 Gbps? only thing I could think of is if they output 12 bit 4:4:4 4k@120hz needing anything above that. But that would still be moot as the panel itself is not 12bit capable. Is there anything else that would require extra bandwidth above 40 Gbps that is not limited by the OLED panels out now anyways?

Soldato
The CX panels appear to have lower brightness and a reduction to 10-bit and 40 Gbps

What is better on the CX over the C9 ?

The C9 is also 10-bit, that why everyone is saying it appears at least for now it being a moot point having 48 Gbps.

CX based on video reviews in earlier posts, while it does not get as bright for HDR, does seem to do SDR better. Has BFI (which seems a bit buggy atm but expected to be resolved), comes out of black smoother and slightly better motion handling. C9 on other hand seems to get brighter so nicer for HDR and DTS passthrough. I suspect CX will get better with age as firmware matures.

Soldato
Thanks for the video link. So it sounds like passing DTS through from a receiver or other device, into the TV will not play.

Why would you want to passthrough sound, if devices are connected to a receiver you will get DTS or any other sound format the receiver supports.

The issue is with any device connected direct to TV, you will not get DTS.

If you connect devices to AVR first then you are fine.

Associate
Why would you want to passthrough sound, if devices are connected to a receiver you will get DTS or any other sound format the receiver supports.

You are right, I probably shouldn't have said Receiver. Other devices such as an Nvidia Shield passing through the picture and DTS to the TV, will not have it played.

Soldato

The issue would be if you were using a PS5 plugged into the TV for 120hz and VRR and wanted to use the UHD playing capability, anything with a DTS soundtrack wouldn't work.

Associate
It's funny when people think games on new consoles will actually play with 120 fps:p (or even 60+)

It's a struggle to get 60...

Back
Top Bottom