What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Bloodshot 4/10

Generic Vin Diesel action movie, premise to me kind of ripped off Universal Soldier.

Oh and gents, don’t bother watching if you’re at all sensitive about the size of your... plumbing. Some nice disparaging size queen dialogue about 2/3 of the way through.

Soldato
"True Lies" with my kids (14). They loved it! It's such a good film and had aged really well.
My son got very interested in his popcorn when Jamie Lee Curtis did her striptease. Or at least he pretended to be.

Soldato
"The vast of night" on Amazon Prime. Chris Stuckmann put me on to this when he said it's reminiscent of things like the Twilight Zone and The X-Files. It's very low budget but, IMO, that doesn't really show. My wife and I were fully engaged for 90 minutes. Some great camera work and impressive turns by the unknown (to me) cast.
It's a slow burn but worth the time. I hope to see more by this director.

One thing to bear in mind is that the male lead has a cigarette in his mouth for the first 5 or so minutes and it makes him mumble a bit. Bear with it and that stops soon enough.

I love sci-fi. I like films a bit leftfield and interesting. I like long difficult stuff like Lynch. I love pulp sci-fi series like Twilight Zone and X files.

I'm actually quite annoyed I wasted the one evening I've had free in lockdown to watch this toss.

Everything about it is awful. The camera work, the random cutting back to the black and white TV filter, the awful Aaron Sorkin wannabe dialogue. The first 15 minutes are excruciatingly bad with the guy mumbling through a cigarette.

The dialogue is a desperately bad, the way they switch from frenzied intensity to mundane drivel every few minutes for no apparent reason.

The score sounds like it was written for a different film entirely.

Everything about this film grates on my soul.

0/10. I've just turned it off with half an hour left.

Man of Honour
I love sci-fi. I like films a bit leftfield and interesting. I like long difficult stuff like Lynch. I love pulp sci-fi series like Twilight Zone and X files.

I'm actually quite annoyed I wasted the one evening I've had free in lockdown to watch this toss.

Everything about it is awful. The camera work, the random cutting back to the black and white TV filter, the awful Aaron Sorkin wannabe dialogue. The first 15 minutes are excruciatingly bad with the guy mumbling through a cigarette.

The dialogue is a desperately bad, the way they switch from frenzied intensity to mundane drivel every few minutes for no apparent reason.

Oof, scathing! I’m intrigued :p

Soldato
Oof, scathing! I’m intrigued :p

Something just totally rubbed me up the wrong way with this film. It feels like a bad filmmaker's idea of what a good film should be, it's just trying far too. Writing cheques the director can't cash.

I don't normally feel so starkly different from reviewers, and it's got OK reviews, so some people are clearly going to enjoy it!

Soldato
I really like History of Violence, and I agree it's terribly underrated. What's more interesting than the revenge part, the "is he or isn't he", and even the great performances from all around, is the relationships around the main character and how they change as his past slowly becomes revealed.

It's kind of encapsulated in the two sex scenes. The first one is quite sweet, almost vanilla. Two loving people in a healthy, long term relationship. The second one is rough and violent, just on this side of rape, undisguised betrayal and anger, but a certain excitement as the wife finds that her husband is more bad boy than just a nice family guy. It illustrates the dramatic changes that the two characters have gone through with regards to each other.

Maria Bello's character may have wanted a less boring life, but she got more than she bargained for as everything ramps up when the past catches up to Viggo Mortensen's character.

Maria Bello is pretty wasted at the moment, pulling in a regular paycheck on NCIS.

Associate
The Addams Family (2019) - 3/10

Dull and boring with a voice cast who don’t seem to be putting in any effort.

It’s a pale imitation of the classic show with a weak story and poor attempts at humour which only get slightly better as it goes along.

One or two jokes work, but It’s mostly flat; the comic violence is neither funny or violent and the horror isn’t remotely scary or shocking.

The distorted bodies art style is too distracting and the modern hip hop completely out of place with the premise.

Soldato
Bandits (2001) - 8/10

I’ll be a bit biased with this one, as it’s a bit of a favourite of mine, so it probably got extra nostalgia points :p

Soldato
Artemis Fowl
Ive never read any of the books so I dont know what it should have been but the movie was a load of ----
What did they spend all the money on, we only see 3 locations in the whole movie nothing really happens, cast looked wooden, Did they get a 10 year old to write it ?
The cast had no charisma other then josh gad it was like watching a high budget school play.
The main kid was a very poor choice.

3/10

Another idiot allowed to make movies, missing the whole point, no world building or story telling, just throw things and hope people understand,

Soldato
Us

I don’t really know what to say. I’m utterly disappointed having really enjoyed Get Out and having watched a few snippets of the trailer I had high hopes. How wrong was I. Probably one of the worst films I’ve seen in a long time.
Just a mess of a film that takes a decent concept and completely banjaxes it up.
it almost felt as though he didn’t know how to actually run with the premise. Instead there’s a mish-mash of slasher/paranormal/pseudo science nonsense that fails to be good at any of them. It kind of felt like a high value 80’s B movie - if that makes sense.
Utter tripe - don’t waste your time if you’ve not already seen it.
A wholesome and well deserved 1/10

Soldato
The Vast of Night - saw it mentioned on Twitter and noticed it was just recently added to Amazon. Really enjoyed it, great indie film with a really cool style that reminded of Super 8 in a lot of ways. Great dialogue/script too, there were scenes I rewatched a few times just because I really enjoyed how they played out.

The only part I'd agree with here is the B&W TV filter, it felt jarring and out of place. Besides that I thought it was great and would gladly watch it again.

Also finally got round to watching A Quite Place, really enjoyed it. Hopefully the makers of The Last of Us TV series can capture some of that slow-paced tension and dread, it would work really well.

Caporegime
Us

I don’t really know what to say. I’m utterly disappointed having really enjoyed Get Out and having watched a few snippets of the trailer I had high hopes. How wrong was I. Probably one of the worst films I’ve seen in a long time.
Just a mess of a film that takes a decent concept and completely banjaxes it up.
it almost felt as though he didn’t know how to actually run with the premise. Instead there’s a mish-mash of slasher/paranormal/pseudo science nonsense that fails to be good at any of them. It kind of felt like a high value 80’s B movie - if that makes sense.
Utter tripe - don’t waste your time if you’ve not already seen it.
A wholesome and well deserved 1/10

I quite enjoyed it but I also preferred Get Out. Can't remember if there's a third film done by the same writer and/or director?

Soldato
A couple from the last few evenings...

Top Gun - 4K Remaster - 6/10

This has not aged well, the flying effects are good but the story is cliched as hell, the dialogue is cringeworthy especially the love scenes and the whole thing now seems excessively homo-erotic. Wife and I were laughing out loud at some of the one liners.
As regards the 4K, sound in terms of effects very good but dialogue muted - they pumped up the Faltermeyer score but not the rest. Picture not vastly better than the Blu-ray, quite common where they are working from an older master, 4K tends to emphasise the grain more.

And having also watched the Days Of Thunder remaster on 4K a few days previously, what is it about Tom Cruise's character in both movies that screams complete donkey bum.

The Iron Mask (aka Viy 2: Journey to China) - 2/10

Oh dear, where to start. Confused plot about a map maker, an exiled Russian noble and a mysterious Chinese girl all travelling east. Oh and something about a dragon that keeps the tea harvest growing. Somewhere between trying to be a wuxia film and Pirates of The Caribbean in style. Major problems with lipsync - this has been raised elsewhere as possible disc mastering issues in addition to some of the Russian and Chinese cast speaking their own language and being dubbed. Special effects done on an Amiga. Oh and Arnie way out of character playing the chief jailer of the Tower Of London. Unless you're curious, don't bother.

Back
Top Bottom