No Man's Sky - Procedural space game

Anyone else built a sky base? Find a hotspot, build some stairs starting some distance away from it and build up until you are over it, the higher the better. Build some platforms and then claim the base. I met up with a mate and we worked on this together. Tried yesterday and it wouldn't work consistently. EG I could not get power from his generators and it just didn't match up. Had another bash tonight and this time it's all working. It's weird when clouds obscure some of your base lol.

2020-06-14.png

That was yesterday's efforts.

Soldato
You saw my post, dammit :p

I asked and then realised a 4 second Google gave me the answer :D

No update for me. But some searching online seems to show it's an ongoing issue with OpenGL and AMD. So not sure of the chances of this being resolved anytime soon.

Should be vulkan these days if your on a amd card for this game, as before it it was shocking fps but when it went to vulkan (might have been beta branch) it was so much better. Tho i havent played in awhile so is there new issues these days?

Soldato
I am at a total loss :( Jumped back in and I finished the mission to power up the hyperdrive, now I am following the green line in the galaxy map but already after my first jump I knew I'd need to make more fuel. No problem! However the only 2 planets have very high sentinel presence and the moment I land, I'm pretty much being shot at, same goes for the asteroids. Am I missing something or should I just start over entirely again? I can't make any progress what so ever.

Associate
Should be vulkan these days if your on a amd card for this game, as before it it was shocking fps but when it went to vulkan (might have been beta branch) it was so much better. Tho i havent played in awhile so is there new issues these days?

All on Vulkan now. Can confirm that the old OpenGL version was truly painful on an AMD card... one of the least trumpeted, yet important updates was the shift to Vulkan.
Used to hit ~35fps on GL, now I limit it to 72. It really did transform the game.

Soldato
All on Vulkan now. Can confirm that the old OpenGL version was truly painful on an AMD card... one of the least trumpeted, yet important updates was the shift to Vulkan.
Used to hit ~35fps on GL, now I limit it to 72. It really did transform the game.

Is this a setting in the options? I want to play tonight now that it's cooled down a bit but I keep getting CTD and I'm curious if this will fix it

Caporegime
I've got the game pass version of the game and they seldom have the latest/fully patched version of the game. So it doesn't surprise me to read that it used to be an issue with AMD cards.

Associate
Is this a setting in the options? I want to play tonight now that it's cooled down a bit but I keep getting CTD and I'm curious if this will fix it

No, not a selectable option, it's just how the game runs. If you're up to date then you're already on the Vulkan version.
Try turning Tesselation to Low in the graphics options, that may or may not help, it can cause issues for some.

Also very latest update has specific fixes for 'AMD GPU specific crashes', and release notes say they are still working on this, so hopefully your issue will be temporary!

Soldato
No, not a selectable option, it's just how the game runs. If you're up to date then you're already on the Vulkan version.
Try turning Tesselation to Low in the graphics options, that may or may not help, it can cause issues for some.

Also very latest update has specific fixes for 'AMD GPU specific crashes', and release notes say they are still working on this, so hopefully your issue will be temporary!

Ok thank you and yeah hopefully I was really enjoying the game

Soldato
I reinstalled this a few days ago, and went looking for my favourite mods, but they all seem to be dead in the water, no updated for months, is this game dying?

Associate
I reinstalled this a few days ago, and went looking for my favourite mods, but they all seem to be dead in the water, no updated for months, is this game dying?

The game isn't dying, no. Actually quite the opposite at the moment.

Many older mods have become redundant, or impossible under the later revisions of the game. Other mods may not have proved popular enough to warrant recompiling after every update, so now you tend to find the most popular mods get updated, and the rest just get abandoned.

Also worth considering that most folks are more satisfied with the game now, so are less inclined to mod.

I use Nexus Mods, and order by 'Last Updated' to see what's new.

I use a selection of split mods from the NMS Fantasy pack, and 'Better Planet Generation' plus its associated sub-mods. The results are very impressive!

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah cheers, will look at sorting them in date order and see whats about, think it would be a good idea to start a new game i guess, instead of going back to an old one

Soldato
Anyone else built a sky base? Find a hotspot, build some stairs starting some distance away from it and build up until you are over it, the higher the better. Build some platforms and then claim the base. I met up with a mate and we worked on this together. Tried yesterday and it wouldn't work consistently. EG I could not get power from his generators and it just didn't match up. Had another bash tonight and this time it's all working. It's weird when clouds obscure some of your base lol.

2020-06-14.png

That was yesterday's efforts.

That's seriously cool looking.

Think I'm going to have to reinstall, not played since 2018, but clocked in over 100 hours. Seems to have been a few updates since then.

I like the new missions from the update in the space stations. It seems a bit more atmospheric, almost had a feeling of Alien about exploring the derelict. We got quite a few resources from it. There seems to be new ship styles too. I saw a hilariously short one and a nice new design for a hauler type. I do like that they keep adding bits. It has brought me back to it again. It's been a retro evening with some Division with an old friend and then some NMS. VR seems a lot smoother now too. Much less splodging out when it can't keep up. It's hard to explain but it was much smoother feeling tonight.

Here's a little video about it.

Last edited:
Associate
Think I might have to get back into this, still have a bunch of quests to complete though. And i never got round to hatching my ship.

I always get distracted by building bases.

Associate
Had a quick blast on this last night and is it just me or do the graphics seems allot better.

The sharpness of the terrain seemed allot better than I recall.

Back
Top Bottom