How to duplicate wordpress site without hosting access

Soldato
I have admin access to a Wordpress Site and I need to migrate it to another host, but I can't get in touch with the current host admin.

There's not enough space on the server to do a zip backup to then download or export.

What's the best way to migrate the 30GB of content and data from from the existing site to a server I control?

I can install plugins on the old site, and access the public_html directory through a wordpress file manager, but that's it.

Permabanned
I'm suprised nobody has replied to this post!

The only way to really do it is to download everything from public_html and backup the database for the wordpress site. 30GB is a lot of information for a website.

Is it blog content on this platform? Whay don't you have physical access too FTP/SFTP/SSH? Are you just the designer?

Soldato
OP
It’s a local magazine/news type blog and the owner wants me to take it over and fix it up.

The current host admin didn’t respond for a few days so could only get WordPress admin from the owner.

Got in touch with the host now, but they won’t give me cPanel access and told me to do it through WordPress, as they say other sites are hosted on the same server.

I’ve asked them to free up some space so I can create an archive backup. Although I suppose getting an FTP account would work now too that we’ve got a hold of them again.

Was hoping to do cPanel to cPanel though as I don’t know if there’s any email addresses on the account.

Soldato
I use UpdraftPlus - Backup/Restore, it backsups up your data they you just need to restore it on a new WP install but im not sure if it will work or if its a good option for 30gb of data.

Soldato
OP
Managed to sort it now. Got FTP access in the end and was able to download it all. Couldn't use Updraft as there wasn't enough space on the server to create a archive backup.

Although for anyone wondering, Migrate DB Pro is another solution to copy all the files server to server without creating a backup first and if you only have wordpress admin access.

Soldato
OP
I think with Duplicator you still need the space locally to generate the archive before it'll FTP. The only one I found that will do direct server to server is Migrate DB Pro

Back
Top Bottom