• Series S

Votes: 104 11.8%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
The thing that keeps me intrigued about the Xbox though is that it sounds like it can punch above its weight with all these fancy-sounding features it's got - Dynamic Input Latency, Variable Rate Shading, Sampler Feedback Streaming, etc. I just don't know whether it's worth spending 3x as much on a PC (mine really needs to be gutted and started again) if the XSX is going to do 60fps gaming... mostly. That might be a trade-off I'm willing to take for a few years at least until beastly PC tech trickles down to a cheaper level.

I'm just watching the Digital Foundry video on the PS5 event, they seem to think all the first party games from Sony will be 4K30, going for graphics instead of frame rate. With the Xbox, it seems the extra power could do 4K60 and when you read about the lower latency for the controller (why have that if you are not aiming for a higher frame rate) it does sound like it might end up being my multiplatform (and main) console with PS5 for exclusives only. A reversal of this gen.
The extra GPU power is like 18% that doesn’t get you from 4K30 to 4K60.

Soldato
Isn’t that 18% above the boosted clocks? The PS5 can’t run both the CPU and GPU at the maximum frequencies all of the time.

Yes.

WCCF ran an article on it (here). They speculated that the power of the PS5 GPU varies inside the 9.2 TFLOPs to 10.3 TFLOPs range, vs the Series X's sustained 12.1 TFLOPs. That would make the Series X 18% to 32% more powerful.

The bounds of that range aren't known for certain yet. But 18% certainly isn't the full picture.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yes.

WCCF ran an article on it (here). They speculated that the power of the PS5 GPU varies inside the 9.2 TFLOPs to 10.3 TFLOPs range, vs the Series X's sustained 12.1 TFLOPs. That would make the Series X 18% to 32% more powerful.

The bounds of that range aren't known for certain yet. But 18% certainly isn't the full picture.

In that case there could be quite a big difference in minimum frame rates/resolutions.

Soldato
The pro is, what, around 22% less powerful than the x on paper? But it isnt really noticable day to day when playing games in my view. The pro punches above its weight.

I imagine the difference between series x and ps5 may be less pronounced in real terms day to day performance than the raw numbers would suggest.

Soldato
The pro is, what, around 22% less powerful than the x on paper? But it isnt really noticable day to day when playing games in my view. The pro punches above its weight.

I imagine the difference between series x and ps5 may be less pronounced in real terms day to day performance than the raw numbers would suggest.

Since when? The difference between the Pro and 1X is definitely noticeable and the gap between the Series X and PS5 is even bigger when you bring ray tracing into the mix.

Soldato
Since when? The difference between the Pro and 1X is definitely noticeable and the gap between the Series X and PS5 is even bigger when you bring ray tracing into the mix.

Really? Definitely noticable? Maybe if you are comparing screenshots side by side. But during actual gameplay? I cant say as the differences are that obvious to me. I have several titles on both consoles and they look and play pretty much the same. A few differences here and there but I wouldnt put the 1x as streets ahead.

Soldato
Something like RDR2 with some fast action will definitely highlight differences between them.

Whilst I agree it ain't a million miles apart, the additional power is certainly there.

Soldato
At the boost clock that Sony has given, the PS5's GPU is ~15% less powerful. At the speculative base clocks WCCF suggest, it's more like 25%. The latter is quite a substantial gap.

Last edited:
Soldato
They haven't announced either a new Gears of War or a new Forza yet...

Oh, i thought i saw something in a video they released...? No. My bad. I'm sure i did though!
I want the launch line up to be exciting and new! I remember PGR and that open world adventure game (can't remember the name...where the girl changed in to different characters) on launch...was awesome.

New PGR and i may be swayed!

Edit... Kameo: Elements of Power!

Soldato
Oh, i thought i saw something in a video they released...? No. My bad. I'm sure i did though!

Could be the news that Gears 5 will be updated for Series X?

The only confirmed first party games so far are Halo Infinite, Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2, Everwild, and Microsoft Flight (not technically first party, but may as well be). A new Forza seems likely. Fable 4 is strongly rumoured. There's some rumours doing the rounds about Perfect Dark. That covers about half of their first party studios. Not seen much about what the rest might be working on for next gen.

Soldato
Same here. Plus Fable (if the rumours are true). Also, Kena and Stray from the PS5 conference. They're probably the four games I'm most looking forward to, based on what's been shown so far.

Back
Top Bottom