What watch do you wear?

Soldato
From personal experience and size of my wallet, if I don't go for in house movements (and usually from well established players) I prefer ETA and especially Sellita based watches because I know the supply of parts is plentiful and easy to get hold of; plus any watchmaker can service it fully.

beh

beh

Associate
I prefer ETA and especially Sellita based watches because I know the supply of parts is plentiful and easy to get hold of; plus any watchmaker can service it fully.
Aye, same thing comes to mind, having a widely used movement makes getting it serviced a lot easier. I wouldn't want a custom movement from a new brand that might not even exist in a few years time.

Man of Honour
In ref to the Habring2? Whilst the movement itself is put together by them using their own design, the components are known parts supplied by other manufacturers so I can't see it being an issue to service and get parts for in future as they're standard movement parts.

Soldato
In ref to the Habring2? Whilst the movement itself is put together by them using their own design, the components are known parts supplied by other manufacturers so I can't see it being an issue to service and get parts for in future as they're standard movement parts.
Their designs are based on well known architecture, so whilst it sounds like it will be possible to get them serviced easily with parts available, the reality is that their movements will have their own dimensions and tolerances that will not be compatible with anything else.

Man of Honour
Ah yeah I understand that now and can see why custom movements in something expensive could be an issue years later when servicing is needed.

In unrelated news I've ordered an updated version of my childhood Casio calculator databank watch. Figured I'd scratch that nostalgia itch and now just the "Casio Royale" left to get before I have my favourite retro digital Trio

Associate
Here are a couple of vintage watches from my collection.

First up we have some Universal Geneve Polerouters. I love UG watches. They have such clear concise designs and fantastic movements. All of these three have a in-house microtor movement in them.

Polerouter De Luxe, ref 10357/1, cal 215, 1957.

HEABMKI.jpg

5VTAY3j.jpg

Polerouter, ref 20368/1, cal 215-9, 1959

xkyp0DD.jpg

Polerouter Super, ref 869112/26, cal 1-69, 1967

EpfLhim.jpg

c94buPY.jpg

Next we have a UG "FS" railway conductors watch. These were commissioned my the Italian railway company Ferrovie dello Stato for their conductors to use. They feature a very legible white enamel dial and an in-house movement, cal 64. These are, in my opinion, one of the best vintage watches you can get for under £400.

K52Hvuf.jpg

A pair of Helvetia watches. Again both of these have in-house movements inside them and are from the late 40's and early 50s. This brand is relatively unknown so they can be picked up for bargain prices when they appear. The second one for example was less than £50.

bn1FavY.jpg

7P6kXLs.jpg

And last but by no means least, a Omega Seamaster from the 50s that I have had for a couple of years now.

lCoHumD.jpg

Soldato
A few months ago sent my Omega Seamaster 300M away for it's bracelet to be repaired, excellent service, as due to delays the watch has been sent back to me with a genuine Omega NATO strap while the bracelet is getting fixed and may take longer :) Ideal!

00100lr-PORTRAIT-00100-BURST20200530101040655-COVER.jpg

Man of Honour

Gotta say that looks fantastic. I really did like my old 39mm HydroConquest and kinda wish I never got rid. It was +1s a day accurate too and looked the part once I'd brushed the case and centre links links + had it re-lumed with BGW9. Had a stock strap like the one above existed in navy to match the dial, then I'd have got that and would never have even sold the watch! The bracelet wasn't as friendly for micro adjust as others out there and as such it sat either a little too tight or loose depending on the weather for my wrist.

Wonder how this 41mm looks in the flesh, I need to see one in a store.

Associate

Gotta say that looks fantastic. I really did like my old 39mm HydroConquest and kinda wish I never got rid. It was +1s a day accurate too and looked the part once I'd brushed the case and centre links links + had it re-lumed with BGW9. Had a stock strap like the one above existed in navy to match the dial, then I'd have got that and would never have even sold the watch! The bracelet wasn't as friendly for micro adjust as others out there and as such it sat either a little too tight or loose depending on the weather for my wrist.

Wonder how this 41mm looks in the flesh, I need to see one in a store.
I have the 43mm ceramic grey version of this same watch and it is lovely.

Soldato
The Bremont that I posted a few pages back has been sent back. I tried but I just couldn't connect with it.

Replaced with a Tudor Black bay 58 in S&G but with the leather strap. Should have it by end of the week if Watchfinder and Royal Mail can do their thing quickly.

Soldato
I have the 43mm ceramic grey version of this same watch and it is lovely.
I'd get one of these...

BUT, I still want a Breitling superocean heritage...

I think think Oris might get part ex'd for one soon tbh. I like the Oris, it's a lovely watch but I got it because it was a deal, not because I really wanted it, so not the same attachment to it.

Man of Honour
The Bremont that I posted a few pages back has been sent back. I tried but I just couldn't connect with it.

Replaced with a Tudor Black bay 58 in S&G but with the leather strap. Should have it by end of the week if Watchfinder and Royal Mail can do their thing quickly.

I can understand!!

I sold the Spinnaker Bradner after a week, I really like it and no fault with its style and quality, but it's just too chunky for my wrist having worn it to and from work a few days! 14.7mm is its thickness and after checking with other watches, max 13mm suits me fine with a 40 or 41mm case diameter. Therefore it had to go. Sold for not too much of a loss at £140.

The Coniston Speed Edition arrived today (I chose serial 321 of 500) and it is a thing of absolute beauty. The online photos make it look quite wide but in person it's true to its 40mm size.

What is Coniston?

Special Edition of 500 Watches
"Sometimes a split second of time can be gained at the cost of a chance’" - words spoken by Sir Malcom Campbell; a seeker of speed, of thrills and records, of chasing and capturing glory that previously seemed just out of reach. The Coniston is inspired by its namesake lake, where Sir Malcolm Campbell set a world water-speed record.

Taking its colour scheme from Malcolm's boat, the Speed Edition is a nod to the unwavering spirit that he displayed throughout his life. With a red-tipped second hand echoing the splash of red in both the Union Jack and Swiss flags that adorned the K3, the Speed Edition immediately catches the eye. The pale blue dial, set within its iconic Blue Bird blue outer ring, makes it clear that the Speed Edition is a close relative of the Coniston Bluebird; just as Malcolm was the father of Donald, the Coniston Speed Edition shares a very special connection with the Coniston Bluebird.

The inifinity symbol on the dial of the Speed Edition replicates the same symbol which appeared on the badge of the K3; a mark of the hydroplane’s official status as a water speed record competitor, and of their unlimited and infinite power. The infinity symbol holds a special meaning in the case of the Campbell family; the lives of both Campbell father and son, infinitely bound together in their pursuit of speed.

Dial-Lumed_2020.06.15_0001.jpg

Crown_2020.06.15_0021.jpg

CaseBack_2020.06.15_0013.jpg

Marloe-Coniston-Speed_AR.gif

Immediate things I love:
- The blue AR coating on the underside domed \crystal, the subtle dome plays cool tricks with the tint and light
- The big crown with engraved M, so easy to turn and the wind stops when you've fully wound up the mainspring
- The lume is cool, it's BGW9 but not as heavily layered as the Morar is
- The Miyota 8N33 is nice looking
- Really lightweight and the way it wears with the shape of the caseback, fits really flush against the wrist so you barely notice it's even on aside from the contact of skin on glass and metal
- 100M water resistance and it's not even a screw down crown

I have to wait for the Barton Silicone strap to arrive though as I don't like leather straps, but otherwise really impressed by this.

Last edited:
Associate
I can understand!!

I sold the Spinnaker Bradner after a week, I really like it and no fault with its style and quality, but it's just too chunky for my wrist having worn it to and from work a few days! 14.7mm is its thickness and after checking with other watches, max 13mm suits me fine with a 40 or 41mm case diameter. Therefore it had to go. Sold for not too much of a loss at £140. Coniston arrived today though and that is a thing of absolute beauty. The online photos make it look quite wide but in person it's true to its 40mm size.

Immediate things I love:
- The blue AR coating on the underside domed \crystal, the subtle dome plays cool tricks with the tint and light
- The big crown with engraved M, so easy to turn and the wind stops when you've fully wound up the mainspring
- Really lightweight and the way it wears with the shape of the caseback, fits really flush against the wrist so you barely notice it's even on aside from the contact of skin on glass and metal

I have to wait for the Barton Silicone strap to arrive though as I don't like leather straps, but otherwise really impressed by this.
ooo, that looks nice, and the lumed ring is quite cool.

quite like the steel version too.

Associate
I can understand!!

I sold the Spinnaker Bradner after a week, I really like it and no fault with its style and quality, but it's just too chunky for my wrist having worn it to and from work a few days! 14.7mm is its thickness and after checking with other watches, max 13mm suits me fine with a 40 or 41mm case diameter. Therefore it had to go. Sold for not too much of a loss at £140. Coniston arrived today though and that is a thing of absolute beauty. The online photos make it look quite wide but in person it's true to its 40mm size.

Immediate things I love:

Congrats on the purchase, a nice watch for a reasonable price.

Back
Top Bottom