Favourite Star Wars movie?

Soldato
OTHER than episode 4, 5 & 6 :D

Just watched Rogue One as it was on ITV this evening, I think it's the third time I've seen it. Was wavering between episode 7 and this, but definitely think Rogue One is my favourite.

Proper battles in it, rebels Vs empire, nothing too weird, IMO how a Star Wars movie should be. Saw episode 9 for the first time only last month and it's way to "Lord of the Rings" for me.

I don't actually like Luke Skywalker's character in 8 or 9 (neither did Mark Hamill apparently), 8 wasn't great at all. Solo, was, a bit meh. And don't even get me started on episode 1-3.

Anyway, discuss.

Caporegime
Rogue One (out of the new ones), though I haven't seen all of them yet.

Otherwise, well...yeah - it would be The Empire Strikes Back. :D

Soldato
I will always LOVE Empire, but I do agree that RO is fantastic.

Any love for RotS? That probably completes the only ones I'll ever bother to re-watch in the future - one from each era of SW film making, the less said about the Mary Sue trilogy the better.

Raz

Raz

Soldato
I don’t mind RotS, though it suffers all the prequel issues of Jar-Jar and over use of cgi.

It's the best of the prequels, the fight between anakin and Kenobi is pretty well done (the fight itself and the burning scene, the dialogue before that is just... terrible, and Order 66).

I'd say

RO

Soldato
This thread suits me as I haven't seen 4-6.

I'll say Phantom Menace because it had a massive amount of hype prior to release, and it delivered a fun cinema experience to my teenage self. I think I realised its flaws moreso afterwards and from so many people panning it.

Rogue One was also good but my perception was tainted somewhat by Force Awakens. It was perhaps only half way through that I realised "this is actually cool". I'm surprised they haven't done more films in that style yet.

Man of Honour
Robot Chicken: Star Wars
This literally had me in stitches :D

Otherwise it's a close run between the original Star Wars (now episode 4 A New Hope) and The Empire Strikes Back. I'd probably have to go with the original A New Hope because of the feelings and memories it brings back.

EDIT: It might be worth people giving their ages because I think that is an interesting story on which film they prefer. I'm 50 so the original trilogy is what I consider the real Star Wars.

Soldato
Without 4, 5, & 6 then, for me, the only film which even gets close is Rogue One.

I don't mind Ep1-3 as I find them fairly inoffensive, but the extreme reliance on "CGI EVERYTHING!!!!" really hurts the story-telling which becomes dull and plodding. They became "better-ish" by Ep3 but writing a solid entertaining story with a good cast able to breathe real life in their characters seemed to be mostly beyond Lucas by this point.

Ep7 is an odd one for me. I watched it several times in the cinema over a week or so and my opinions did a virtual 180 over that time. Initially I was a small kid again as the film felt like a "real" Star Wars again after all the CGI EVERYTHING of the prequels and seeing the OG cast back was great so I was willing to cut it a lot of slack because of how it made me feel. I didn't mind the Mary-Sue aspects as I felt I could explain them with subtle aspects in the film and I didn't mind the story being a remake/reboot of Ep4 as Ep1, 4 & 7 all ended with a spherical moon/base being destroyed which was a nice symmetry. However by the 3rd or 4th viewing the gloss had started to wear off a little and the little annoyances grated far more but I was still left with a generally positive-ish memory.

Ep8 & Ep9 - Nope, never heard of them, they don't exist :D

SOLO is Meh at best and felt like a waste of the franchises time/effort which no-one asked for in the first place.

Soldato
I agree with the OP, I think Rogue One is superb and easily the best outside the original trio.

Also agree with Hades, regarding age perspective. I went to see the first one in the cinema as a kid in the seventies and it's been one of my favourite films ever since. I put Rogue One up there with Star Wars and Empire (less of a fan of fluffy bear infested Return of the Jedi)

Caporegime
Anyone else find it unusual that the one film of the original trilogy that Lucas had the least to do with is widely seen as the best and many people's favourite? Coincidence I'm sure.

Soldato
OP
Ep7 is an odd one for me. I watched it several times in the cinema over a week or so and my opinions did a virtual 180 over that time. Initially I was a small kid again as the film felt like a "real" Star Wars again after all the CGI EVERYTHING of the prequels and seeing the OG cast back was great so I was willing to cut it a lot of slack because of how it made me feel. I didn't mind the Mary-Sue aspects as I felt I could explain them with subtle aspects in the film and I didn't mind the story being a remake/reboot of Ep4 as Ep1, 4 & 7 all ended with a spherical moon/base being destroyed which was a nice symmetry. However by the 3rd or 4th viewing the gloss had started to wear off a little and the little annoyances grated far more but I was still left with a generally positive-ish memory.

Yea same with Episode 7, first time I was like, "ohhh yea were back in business" but now after watching it several times the characters are still a little "Disney" if you watch it, there are is just to odd little scene here and there which I guess is aimed at non-star wars people to make them laugh or whatever, which completely ruin things. This is worse in 8, like the scene where Chewie is going to eat that little bird thing, with the other bird thing giving him the puppy dog eyes, I mean what????????

Rogue One on the other hand has grown on me each time. Don't get me wrong, still liked it the first time but thought the pace was quite fast, with lots of characters being introduced quickly, but yea after seeing it the 3rd time last night again, it's definitely better than the others.

Soldato
Star Wars IV was my introduction to the SW universe, so that will always be magical to me.

RotJ, i was 10 years old and was on an organised trip to the local seaside - i disappeared from my family and spent the afternoon watching the movie with no-one knowing where i was! Amazing experience, but what was i thinking?!

Ep 5 next

Outside of the original trilogy:

TFA - not because it's a great movie, but because it kickstarted the SW interest again. The opening sequence - jaw dropping (criminal what they turned Kylo Ren into later :(), Seeing Han and Chewie and the X-Wing battle, seeing them come over the water - the music etc, SW was back!

Rogue One - this is how a SW movie should be done.

Soldato
I was born in 82, so wasn't the right age for the originals or the prequels, and so hold no great love for any of them, really. I've not ever been able to get through 2: so boring!

In some ways, I enjoy watching 7 more than the original trilogy. That's probably my answer for the OP. RO was also pretty great, and I liked 9 well enough. Not seen Solo.

Back
Top Bottom