BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Don
Could be that DLM has kicked in due to the length of time the line was down.

Good point - I'll give it a few days and see what happens.
I've already tried asking Plusnet for a DLM reset, but they won't do anything at present as are prioritising other faults above speed issues due to Covid.

Can't see how I can of made anything worse - removing 4m of cabling, and jelly crimps, as well as getting the line away from a potential source of interference can only be a benefit (and the increase to upstream at least shows there's some potential imo)

Soldato
Got my Ultrafast install friday, world of difference going from 30Mb up to 150Mb.

Getting the full speed via wifi as well through a few floors/walls which was never possible even for 30Mb with the old router.

Logged in and I have an offer for 900Mb that wasn't there when I placed my initial order for 150Mb 3 months ago...would be rude not to try :D

Associate
If the street is being dug up is that not the Cityfibre deployment?

Not sure but i took a photo of what is being done on my street.

Edit removed photo due to privacy concerns.

I had a letter below saying fibre to the home is coming to my street before they started to dig up my street with picture below.

fiber-internet.jpg

So 9 times out of 10 i believe they are installing fibre on my street.

Last edited:
Associate
Thank you for this @Caged i will be talking to some of my neighbours here to see if they agree to the friend thingy.

Indeed only vodafone but for the sake of a full fibre isp i will be signing up as soon as possible.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've got this showing for my local FTTC cabinet on one.network (new name for the roadworks.org site):

Install 19m of 2 poly ducts in Footway,Provide, Renew or Recover 1 DSLAM street cabinet and base...

Is there any hope that this may be related to FTTP?

Man of Honour
Probably not, FTTP doesn't use a DSLAM module. Plus the cable routing between you and the Exchange won't necessarily go via the FTTC cabinet. In my case, I've had FTTP for a week but Openreach are only today sorting the ducting around the cabinet that my copper line is connected to.

What does the Openreach fibre checker (https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/fibre-first#FibrecheckerX) say?
Just that FTTC is coming (we already have it but the cabinet is always full) and that there are no plans for FTTP. I have a feeling it's a new cabinet, expansion cards or a replacement cabinet.

Don
Good point - I'll give it a few days and see what happens.

@Ayahuasca - I got impatient and started poking around...

/facepalm

Looks like I'd been running the wrong Draytek modem code since last time I updated (as normally get it direct from their ftp site). "Upgraded" to the latest one from their UK website (with the correct _BT suffix), and the snr/attainable fluctuations (as well as numerous CRC errors) seem to have stopped instantly.

So probably unnecessary to have moved my Master Socket after all :D

Soldato
Finally managed to get the upgrade to Fibre 900. They either fixed the database issue or changed something at the exchange as the max available was 330 until I checked again yesterday. Gave them a call, told the best they could do was £67 per month. Called again, this time to cancel (was out of contract), was offered it for £55pm, which is a fiver cheaper than I was paying for the 300 package.

Upgrade went live overnight, wired speed tests seems to top out around the 500-600Mbps range. Upload speed is excellent though. I know technically you should get the max speed straight away but did anyone find their speeds improved over time?

Soldato
Finally managed to get the upgrade to Fibre 900. They either fixed the database issue or changed something at the exchange as the max available was 330 until I checked again yesterday. Gave them a call, told the best they could do was £67 per month. Called again, this time to cancel (was out of contract), was offered it for £55pm, which is a fiver cheaper than I was paying for the 300 package.

Upgrade went live overnight, wired speed tests seems to top out around the 500-600Mbps range. Upload speed is excellent though. I know technically you should get the max speed straight away but did anyone find their speeds improved over time?
No I've had 143Mb (150 package) the moment the router powered up.

Caporegime

What router are you using?

Back
Top Bottom