iRacing

Soldato
Team events is what makes IRacing for me. Nothing beats bringing home a broken car home after 24 hours.............. or wining it in very occasional circumstances. :p

Indeed Mike. I've been a member since 2016, racing every now and again but this yea started to race more regular but had never considered endurance team racing until this past week. Oh boy, what a mistake that was. Its so much fun with team mates.

Associate
Indeed Mike. I've been a member since 2016, racing every now and again but this yea started to race more regular but had never considered endurance team racing until this past week. Oh boy, what a mistake that was. Its so much fun with team mates.

Team events are great nothing like waking up early to see how the night stints boys got on, hoping your still in one piece. 3 weeks till Le Mans too.

did you do the 6 hour last weekend?

Soldato
I know we still have Le Man first but I'm looking forward to Spa 24 after that. We were in the infamous 44x splits last year so that did put a bit of a downer on it. Although we did finish the race, I had the boring last 2 hours where I couldn't gain any positions just had to lap without getting incident points.

Associate
Its works, do quiet like just getting in the groove for couple hours though. Plus if you haven't driven then your not loosing the IR :p.

Plus it works well with the tires been double stinted depend on car and track temp; always want new driver in on fresh boots. We have been known to triple stint some night times to work with the tires.

Soldato
Chilled out week 13 video testing out the new Road America and showcasing the sort of performance I get on my triple 1440p setup for all the requests on Discord and YouTube. It might be of use to some of you guys if you're wondering if triple 1440p possible in iracing.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Finally bought the Skippy and two tracks so I can start this season from the beginning.

Wow it's a hand full, done one race and came home in 10th but had 7 incidents which is frustrating. The flat out right hander just before braking to first for the last chicaines is difficult. In practice I can just about manage 1:23, in the race a low 1:22. No idea how people are getting into the 1:20. Even with a guide on YouTube it feels like along way off.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been having a seriously good time with iRacing recently.
Packed in the F1 2019 league as I just wasnt enjoying it. I and the majority of the race team have now switched all focus to iRacing and things have been getting better and better. Picked up C license off the end of season promotion, its opened up a whole lot of more enjoyable racing, Mazda Advanced cup is mega, simucube F3's and also taking part in the MotorsportUK iZone F3 championship. Almost up to B license already purely down to the cleaner racing. Team is getting involved in the Silverstone endurance race later this month and the Spa 24 next month. Cant wait!!!

Soldato
Apparently also now doing the unconventional strategy of starting races on quali fuel as well...............................:p

Hey, you let me out unsupervised and daft things happen! Managed 4 laps with ye olde hybrid foot and a handy person to draft in front...

For context I did the VLN solo yesterday as Mr TheNative was indisposed! Qually fuel was still about 35L. Which is less than 100L. :p

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Well the Skippy is destroying my SR and iRating. Practiced and I'm consistent and fast enough. But wow no matter where I qualify I end up getting shafted by someone.

Last race wasI running 6th after dropping to 12th on the first lap, pass 5th place into the first corner after watching the car behind catch up lap after lap. He was really slowing me down and doing late braking only when I was passing him. He did his late braking again into the first turn, got on the grass and punted me despite giving plenty of room. I span, then the guy bearing down on us hits me. I lose a wheel and limp it back in 12th, them two, 5th and 6th... So frustrating. I also had a flawless race and that whole debacle awarded me with an 8x somehow :/

Sadly this was after me making a few mistakes in other races and getting shunted by people avoiding other incidents because I wasn't patient enough and too worried about getting rear ended.

I hope it gets better, the Mazda in Rookies was nowhere near as bad, I had hardly any catastrophic issues. I certainly didn't finish laps down.

Soldato
Mazda Advanced cup in C class is great for farming SR/Irating. A lot less idiots, nice and long at 45 minutes. Loads of corners so if you keep it clean you rake in the SR. I've been racing it a lot this week and just been having fun wringing the neck of the MX5 around Road Atlanta, so much fun.

Got my B License tonight, Think I'll take a punt at VRS Sprint series this week.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
After a night of positive practice the other day I jumped into a couple of Spa races in Skippy last night. Finally redeemed the disaster that was Summit point :D

First race i was up front at the start however a mistake and a couple punts from behind in the first 2 laps had my car wounded. I couldn't go over 100mph which is not ideal in the Skippy. Managed to hold on for 10th and just let anyone who could catch by so I could draft them as long as possible. Could have been a lot worse but was chuffed with getting it home without major incident.

Second race I started 4th and managed to get home in 3rd, I'm super chuffed with that. I managed to keep up with 1st and second all the way round. I did outbrake myself a couple times but caught them back up. I was quicker most of the time but they were having a super clean battle and I was just hoping to pick up on any mistakes by keeping them honest. On the last lap I just backed off to get my result, 3rd is a good finish for me even if the SOF is low.

It's a tough game and so frustrating if you're not in the right mood, but so rewarding when you get it right. Learning to let off and take some corners easier when you're in the draft then push at other corners to pick your battle feels great.

The Skippy is great now I'm used to it. I practiced correcting slides with cold & worn tyres and did lap after lap consecutively regardless of mistakes just to get a feel for it. Incidents will happen so it's just a case of knowing how to mitigate the damage. It does sound really bland though and the lack of speed makes the straights at Spa a chore. I think faster more nimble cars would be easier to drive, and more fun. If this season stays positive and I can get auto promotion I'll look at jumping into something faster.

I also got promoted to D in ovals. That's a lot more fun that I thought it would be, hard to be up there in terms of speed as the margins are much narrower but it's quite tense. Can't afford to throw a ton of cash at that as well though but might supplitment the next season with some oval racing.

Back
Top Bottom