LG CX (C10) OLED 2020 Thread

Soldato
The issue would be if you were using a PS5 plugged into the TV for 120hz and VRR and wanted to use the UHD playing capability, anything with a DTS soundtrack wouldn't work.

Yeah there is that. I'm not sure but it seem's like DTS is becoming less and less on new discs, I can see it a problem for peoples collections of older movies with DTS but of late every new disc I have purchased is Dolby.

Soldato
I didn’t say that it was 4K at 120, but we will see 120 FPS games and I’m sure we’ll even see some 4K 120 games, sure not stuff like Horizon, but we will see 4K 120 games and having a TV capable of that isn’t a bad idea.
A 2080ti can’t even drive games at 4k 120hz so why would you think a console that’s far less powerful would be able to do it

Soldato
A 2080ti can’t even drive games at 4k 120hz so why would you think a console that’s far less powerful would be able to do it
Fixed hardware is always easier to optimise for, you think PC devs spend months and months optimising their games for the small amount of people that own a 2080ti?

Not to mention plenty of games use checkerboarding and reconstruction, so it doesn’t have to be ‘real’ 4K

Soldato
I think most people missed Broken Hopes context. Most AV receivers do not pass anything more then 4k @ 60hz nor VRR, until Deonon's recently showcases SKU's.

So in the event of PS5 and Xbox Series one X, you would plug those into the LG OLED to leverage VRR and anything higher then 60hz @ 4k. In these instances, DTS would not be passed through, how much of an issue the DTS element is depends on the person's collection.

This does not just apply to next Gen consoles, what about next Gen High end GPU's, I am fully planning to hook this into the OLED to leverage higher then 60FPS @ 4k and also VRR. If next Gen GPUs come with 2.1, I will be able to leverage 4k@ 120hz, VRR and still pass through audio to my AV receiver perfectly.

Those saying the 2080Ti does not do 4k @ 120hz, well first that's not true for every game, AAA games with settings cranked up, sure. But likes of Fifa or formula 1 then it will do more then 60hz @ 4k. Through most AV receivers nothing more then 60 FPS will be passed. Ignoring 120 FPS, what about the likes of BF1 which do say 100 FPS with settings cranked up, or what about if you notch of demanding settings to hit 120 FPS @ 4k, or what about if you use a Dynamic resolution that still calls for more throughput then what most AVR's will pass through????

Do I think the next Gen GPU will offer as much performance as the 2080Ti, no likely not. However it does not need to in less demanding games of which there are also many on consoles order to achieve say 120 FPS in your Fifa with tweaked settings, optimisations.

Associate
I'm sure there won't be:rolleyes:

It's just a guess from either side, but looking on how things are doing where third party games without RTX are 30fps ( new Assassins Creed), Sony studios will be 60 with RTX. Even though I'm getting new Denon myself, HDMI 2.1 will not be utilised for consoles. Everyone is hyped about 4k120 but this is just HDMI 2.1 max specs. If I wanted to play indy games I would get apple arcade, if those kind of games count for ps5 and future 120.

Optimisation of a mid range AMD card will lead to 4K/RTX/30/60 on a console, which will not be possible on PC with the same gear (when AMD finally releases them), But 120.... long way.

Another thing will be majority of people don't have HDMI 2.1 on tv so developers won't bother. As they will be addressing them to majority not tiny bit of gamers. Maybe in 3 years with PRO.

Soldato
I'm sure there won't be:rolleyes:

It's just a guess from either side, but looking on how things are doing where third party games without RTX are 30fps ( new Assassins Creed), Sony studios will be 60 with RTX. Even though I'm getting new Denon myself, HDMI 2.1 will not be utilised for consoles. Everyone is hyped about 4k120 but this is just HDMI 2.1 max specs. If I wanted to play indy games I would get apple arcade, if those kind of games count for ps5 and future 120.

Optimisation of a mid range AMD card will lead to 4K/RTX/30/60 on a console, which will not be possible on PC with the same gear (when AMD finally releases them), But 120.... long way.

Another thing will be majority of people don't have HDMI 2.1 on tv so developers won't bother. As they will be addressing them to majority not tiny bit of gamers. Maybe in 3 years with PRO.

And yet we have had devs like dirt 5 ones come out in and interview and say they managed to get 120 FPS at 4k working smooth: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/06/10/inside-xbox-series-x-optimized-dirt-5/

I am sure we can come back in about a years time and no doubt be proved no game will do anything more the 60 FPS at 4k no doubt and those that do are Indy ones and do not count. ;)

I will not drag this thread off topic any longer, apologise.

Associate
Interesting. So if I hook my external media device (eg PS5) direct to TV to benefit from the latest visual tech and loop back audio to the Receiver, any DTS would be lost :(

Caporegime
I can't think of any games in DTS.

The only time I can see that being an issue is if you are using a PS5 or Xbox Series X as a 4K Blu-ray player.

For people with dedicated blu-ray players it's not really going to be an issue

Associate
I am upgrading from an E6 to a CX, looks like brightness and lag have been improved upon since the E6 so fingers crossed.
I was looking for a C9 65" but not in stock around me.

With Ampere around the corner it should be interesting to see if this will make a nice TV for PC gaming

Caporegime
It's the best gaming TV you can get, and better than any high-end PC monitor that they currently sell.

Unless you want absolutely eye-ball frazzling HDR or play games in very bright environments I guess.

Soldato
Just took the plunge on the 55" CX - popped up yesterday on quite a few places for £1599 (already £200 off!) :D So I jumped to make the switch to OLED for the first time. Only £100 more over the 48" price. Can't wait for my Saturday delivery :o

I also managed to sell my 4 year old Samsung 55" KS7000 for some nice change on Facebook in half hour of listing it up too. Well happy as seems I got a chunk more than what it was worth lol.

Soldato
Has anyone managed to get a 77'' CX for a decent price?
I had RS offer me £4599 or 4699 early on but since then their stock has dried up. C9 doesn't seem to be getting the cut price treatment the C8 did as all the stock has dried up.

I'll likely buy from John Lewis as they have burn in protection for £150 which seems worth it.

Soldato
thought i would pop in as mulling this LG set over. This is a landmark moment and LG deserve big applause for finally releasing this set.

I would really want to see one plugged into a production XBox X before i dropped £5k on one, just to make sure the VRR works as intended.

Sony apparently have held back on their new VRR sets so they can release with the PS5, as someone who happily blew big $$$ on the A1, i would wait to see what Sony do as if nothing else, it will drive down the price on this LG.

The second thing is that the new consoles don’t need to hit 120fps, they just need to hit 90fps. As the new consoles are 35% quicker than a 5700XT that puts them into the 2080ti zone. These new consoles will almost certainly be able to hit 90fps.

For those that already use VRR actually, it is very handy even if you don’t hit 90fps and for this reason, i am certain that within two years all major tv releases will support VRR, even at 60hz.

All that said, this TV is very exciting to see, will be watching this thread develop.

Soldato
I think I'm going to snap on a 77'' CX tommorow. A few reservations but I need a new TV, ditched my Epson 9400 due to it playing up with a potential bulb failure <17 days into its life time and I can't deal with a 65inch screen any longer.

Will likely trade in my HW40Es for a 3D capable projector too.

Soldato
thought i would pop in as mulling this LG set over. This is a landmark moment and LG deserve big applause for finally releasing this set.

I would really want to see one plugged into a production XBox X before i dropped £5k on one, just to make sure the VRR works as intended.

Sony apparently have held back on their new VRR sets so they can release with the PS5, as someone who happily blew big $$$ on the A1, i would wait to see what Sony do as if nothing else, it will drive down the price on this LG.

The second thing is that the new consoles don’t need to hit 120fps, they just need to hit 90fps. As the new consoles are 35% quicker than a 5700XT that puts them into the 2080ti zone. These new consoles will almost certainly be able to hit 90fps.

For those that already use VRR actually, it is very handy even if you don’t hit 90fps and for this reason, i am certain that within two years all major tv releases will support VRR, even at 60hz.

All that said, this TV is very exciting to see, will be watching this thread develop.

I don't see Sony driving down LG periods in the OLED market. Sony have picked their spot as being the more overpriced OLED with cutting edge sound-in-screen technology which no one asked for, and a £150 pair of bookshelf speakers comfortably destroys.

Also I'm not entirely sure why you're applauding the CX. Its basically the C9.

Soldato
I don't see Sony driving down LG periods in the OLED market. Sony have picked their spot as being the more overpriced OLED with cutting edge sound-in-screen technology which no one asked for, and a £150 pair of bookshelf speakers comfortably destroys.

Also I'm not entirely sure why you're applauding the CX. Its basically the C9.

I am looking forward to a demonstration of the CX once the lock-down fully lifts.

When i did my previous back-to-back tests the Sony A1 had far superior motion and 1080p upscale to anything else i saw at the time and that is why i went down the Sony path.

I have a feeling that when i re-run the same test back-to-back with the 2020 sets, the Sony will probably still be the best for motion and upscale but i want to be able to game and 60hz don't cut it.

The CX has improved motion and motion resolution over the c9 and that is what piques my interest as i mainly use my TV for films however, the CX trades this improvement for the use of a video bridge chip which limits the CX to 10-bit 4k 120hz whereas the C9 will do 12-bit 4k 120hz (HDTVTest). Personally, i don't think this is going to make a difference for console but nobody really knows until someone plugs a production release XBOX X into it.

For PC, i suppose it depends on how long you want to keep your TV for and what you use it for.

Soldato
I am looking forward to a demonstration of the CX once the lock-down fully lifts.

When i did my previous back-to-back tests the Sony A1 had far superior motion and 1080p upscale to anything else i saw at the time and that is why i went down the Sony path.

I have a feeling that when i re-run the same test back-to-back with the 2020 sets, the Sony will probably still be the best for motion and upscale but i want to be able to game and 60hz don't cut it.

The CX has improved motion and motion resolution over the c9 and that is what piques my interest as i mainly use my TV for films however, the CX trades this improvement for the use of a video bridge chip which limits the CX to 10-bit 4k 120hz whereas the C9 will do 12-bit 4k 120hz (HDTVTest). Personally, i don't think this is going to make a difference for console but nobody really knows until someone plugs a production release XBOX X into it.

For PC, i suppose it depends on how long you want to keep your TV for and what you use it for.

Consoles aren't going to be doing 12-bit colour. Nothing outside of professional use features or utilises 12-bit colour 4:4:4. Only idiotic NVIDIA who seem want to not allow 10-bit over HDMI are an issue, and 8-bit + FRC is still damned good. The issue is 8-bit w/o dithering on other devices which will be complicated.
The motion examples on youtube I've seen show the CX motion actually bettering the Sony's (from last year). Look at videos comparing their colours but look at the motion. I find they're the best examples to compare.

I've bought the 77'' CX.
John Lewis burn in protection is enough to sway me away from the few C9 sets still on the market.
Should be good fun. This is the final piece of the jigsaw which completes my gaming PC setup. I was going to buy a 3080ti but I think I'll stick with the 2080 for now as I've spent £9,000 on my audio and visual upgrade (the audio upgrade has been INSANE).

Its insane to think my PC gaming setup started with me posting about buying an ElectriQ ultrawide monitor + some bookshelf logitech speakers and has ended with this setup.

Back
Top Bottom