What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
Technically yesterday, but fitted some whiter xenon lights to my Focus. Went from the standard Osram XenArc (4300K) to the Osram Cool Blue Intense which is around 6000K (this seems to be a newer bulb under the same name, as previous models were around 5000K) as they had near £30 off on an Amazon deal. I've also bought a full complement of LED bulbs to replace the brakes, reverse, indicators, mirror puddle, glovebox, and boot compartment lights. Also going to get a sequential indicator light unit (which replaces the entire OEM strip which doesn't actually light up) on a try-before-you-buy deal to make sure it doesn't look too bling before I drop the £60-odd for them.

Foglights will get replaced with LEDs too in the future as the H11s on the front fogs need proper "headlight" bulbs and are £50+ for bulbs I'll turn on once a year, if at all.

Last edited:
Soldato
mk 3 T.X ?
Mk3.5/Mk3 Facelift Titanium X yep, '17 reg.

The headlight unit seems to have a lot of issues with wires snapping as the lights twist in the corners so I had a look around the units yesterday when I had them off the car and I seem to have a slightly newer design as I have some cable relief clips from factory so happy days!

Associate
Made some further progress on the 1.8T engine rebuild, fitted a new oil pump, crank seals on both ends and fitted the press fit billet crank gear, this gear will stop the key-way issue seen with the stock crank gear, it will be secured with an ARP crank bolt.

0ZMHvbS.jpg

zITnSjf.jpg

The cylinder head is at a machine shop and hopefully due back later this week.

Soldato
I had to slam on the anchor at a little... Over 70mph yesterday.
Some idiot didn't secure his load on his van. Close to having a ladder through the front of my car!

I now know my car will stop incredibly fast.

But now over 60mph when I apply the brake...car vibrates.

So looks like the discs have warped.

New pair of borg and beck discs and pads £100.. Can't complain

Soldato
Some idiot didn't secure his load on his van. Close to having a ladder through the front of my car!

You can.

To the guy who didn't secure his load lol !

Don

No such thing as warped discs - certainly not from 1 hard stop.

Must be impossible for racing drivers to manage a full lap, as I imagine the discs would be warped at the first corner....

https://www.apecbraking.co.uk/Resources/TechniciansGuides/Understanding-Brake-Judder.aspx

Underboss
1.5 days ,

Cleaned, polished, wax bodywork
Cleaned, waxed wheels
Dressed Tyres
Black Trims and Rubber with a Gel, colour is black again
Replaced the windscreen washer nozzles for the later ones which are a huge improvement
Fitted new Wiper Blades

and i got the garage to clean the windscreen pipes etc

Caporegime
Oil and filter service, as well as a new thermostat and coolant temp sensor.

Ahn0cNf.jpg

Also fixed my drivers seat controls.

eydVH96.jpg

This corrosion was causing issues...

pvLcSfN.jpg

Gave it a clean. Didn't fancy re-soldering it, my soldering skills aren't that great, but it seemed to do the trick. :)

58Ws0tM.jpg

Associate
Short-shifter kit installed (Cube premium):

1Pl7ez.jpg

And a tow-eye installed so I can hopefully get out on track soon (my Donington session got cancelled due to Covid):
lKxAFI.jpg

Soldato
Fitted a new auxiliary belt to the GT86 just now. It had started getting a bit noisy when cold and damp, and it was about 10k overdue being done. 30 minute job on a GT86 as it's right at the front of the engine. Just need to take off the air intake. While that was off, I also gave thr MAF sensor a squit with some cleaner, a job I forgot to do when I changed the air filter a few weeks ago.

Soldato
Changed out most of my light bulbs for LED ones - brakes, reverse, front + rear indicators, mirror puddles + indicators, boot, and glovebox lights. All very nice! The puddles and reverse lights compliment the DRLs + xenons much better now, and I absolutely love the instant on/off of the LEDs. It was quite crazy to see the difference in time when I had one side LED and one still halogen bulb, the LED was at maximum brightness instantly, it looked so quick it was coming on before the halogen had started lighting up.

Associate

This happened to me last year on the M56. Quite a scare when they start spinning and came flying off. Had to swerve and brake as they came off and started bouncing on the carriageway.

Phoned the highways agency to report it once safely past and the guy was a proper douche too.

Soldato
Gave the inside a fairly decent but not-quite-thorough clean. Also decided I'm sick of toting round a 2 tonne trolley jack in the boot all the time, and nipped to Ford to order a jack and nut wrench to fit in the correct compartment (it's been missing since I bought the car from a dealer last year). It's been a nightmare trying to find the right jack for my car (I have a factory option stereo which adds in a subwoofer into the spare wheel well where the jack/emergency gear normally is, so it's a different type and size of jack and no Ford dealer seems to be able to get the right one for me), so giving it one more chance.

Front brake pad replacement on Wednesday morning.

Back
Top Bottom