Images of items I have purchased (except trainers)

Caporegime
haha, you're not wrong! It's as solid as a rock!
I was already thinking that if he didn't make use of it, I would take out the sink, replace the shorter boards, take off the roof board and make the whole thing into a chair for two!
I've doused it in decking oil so it's good for the weather for now, so it should last awhile. Thanks for the inspiration!

There is 1 thing, nit pick, try not to screw into the end grain, it is the weakest point of the timber. It's not so important here but bear in mind for the future.

Associate
There is 1 thing, nit pick, try not to screw into the end grain, it is the weakest point of the timber. It's not so important here but bear in mind for the future.

Thanks for the info. I figured that out while doing it, it popped up one some youtube videos I've been watching too. Even though one of those coach screws were in deep, one of them slid out a little, due to the grain when i was testing how much force it would take to open these joints up. I've got a small pocket hole jig for future instances :)

Caporegime
Thanks for the info. I figured that out while doing it, it popped up one some youtube videos I've been watching too. Even though one of those coach screws were in deep, one of them slid out a little, due to the grain when i was testing how much force it would take to open these joints up. I've got a small pocket hole jig for future instances :)

Yeah, you need a pocket hole jig for a joint like that. I designed mine to have the timber go round the outside of it to avoid this as I didn't want to buy more tools.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
tw8I1SM.jpg

Today was a goode day.

Although I also god this which I was just as excited about :D

Marloe-Coniston-Speed_Movement-LumeGIF.gif

Associate
Bought some new tools, a good quality circular saw and a budget jigsaw and orbital sander that I'll upgrade eventually if I start using them more.

50009783806_fb6abc3968_c.jpg

Also bought some timber, wood glue, wood stain, varnish and some trendy hairpin legs to put this together...

50009783986_f600a47284_c.jpg

Also bought the two monitors, both of them open box but brand new bargains.

Now my wife has a proper desk to WFH from.

Caporegime
Bought some new tools, a good quality circular saw and a budget jigsaw and orbital sander that I'll upgrade eventually if I start using them more.

50009783806_fb6abc3968_c.jpg

Also bought some timber, wood glue, wood stain, varnish and some trendy hairpin legs to put this together...

50009783986_f600a47284_c.jpg

Also bought the two monitors, both of them open box but brand new bargains.

Now my wife has a proper desk to WFH from.

Might just be the picture but that desk looks like it'll fall over at the slightest lateral force :(

Can you post a pic of the underside?

Associate
Might just be the picture but that desk looks like it'll fall over at the slightest lateral force :(

Can you post a pic of the underside?

Yea I did think once I'd installed the legs that they might need moving out closer to the edge, especially once the monitor arm and monitors weight is on there, but it is actually pretty solid. No wobble whatsoever. I might still push them out a bit for piece of mind, but she has been using it for over a week and had no problems.

The underside is much less flattering :p No cable management at the moment, going to buy a cable tray/cage.

50010286257_e5a01ee295_c.jpg

They don't look as bad from this angle...

50010286142_0c01fe72f8_c.jpg

We are renting at the moment and plan to buy at the end of the year, so I didn't make it bigger to fit the space in case it doesn't fit in the next place. I would have made it a bit bigger though if she had told me earlier in the build that she wanted dual monitors, but it works fine.

It is 62.5cm x 100cm, which is what most small/medium PC desks seem to be from a quick google.

Last edited:
Associate
I'd be more happy with a bracing across the legs. But it should be fine long as you don't put sideway movement to it which will put stress on the screws. Although they are L shape, it should hold up just fine.

I was prepared to replace the screws with better ones but the ones that came with the legs were pretty good quality, they are really on there.

Associate
I did notice you never treated the base of the table, now that's bugging me lol

Yea haha, I considered it but it is never seen, staining would have just been a waste of stain and time for something never seen. The three coats of varnish was put on the bottom for about an inch and a half around the edges, just in case there was a big spill the drip edge would be protected.

Last edited:
Soldato
I bought some turntables, not the ones I originally wanted, but i got an absolute steal on them, ultimately buy one got one free with a free set of Ortofon cartridges!

50010205803_56cf75b976_b_d.jpg

50010996872_47973a9c18_b_d.jpg

Then i bought some wood (well, MDF)....

50010205723_0e570df034_b_d.jpg

To build a new desk for this lot....

50010735606_c897b63770_b_d.jpg

That's as far as i've got so far, i've ordered some carbon fibre wrap to wrap the desk when it's done.

Soldato
I bought some turntables, not the ones I originally wanted, but i got an absolute steal on them, ultimately buy one got one free with a free set of Ortofon cartridges!

50010996872_47973a9c18_b_d.jpg

Then i bought some wood (well, MDF)....

50010205723_0e570df034_b_d.jpg

To build a new desk for this lot....

50010735606_c897b63770_b_d.jpg

That's as far as i've got so far, i've ordered some carbon fibre wrap to wrap the desk when it's done.
Your music space is really growing :D

Soldato

Push - Universal Nation. That was one of the first records I bought in 1998 just after I got my decks.

I've no room for my decks now, I still dabble a bit on the iPad with the DJay app and did a set at my cousins New Years eve party a couple of years back.

I still have a huge collection of records from 1998 - 2001 basically every trance classic of that time. They are boxed up in the garage, but just can't seem to part with them.

Soldato

I've used those Stantons before. I still prefer my, now ancient, MK2's but these are probably one of the better turntables outside of Technics that I've used. I need to grab some new Ortofons (I use their Concorde DJ ones, the blue and orange ones) as the needles are a bit done now. Can't wait to set everything back up and have a mix, it's been ages! I recently sold my SL2 for almost as much as I bought it for a few years ago! Think I'm going to buy a 2nd hand Rane mixer with it built it.

Back
Top Bottom