*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Got my AP-AC-LR this week and have temporarily installed it 4 inches below the landing ceiling on garden twine.

On 2.4GHz medium transmit power I get 30Mbps at the bottom of the garden and our full 48Mbps throughout the house.

5GHz on Auto is good on some devices in the house and bad on others like my phone (Huawei P10), particularly at the edges of the house, where speeds fell to 12-13Mbps.

Can the AP automatically switch devices from 5GHz to 2.4GHz when the signal strength is poor? I started with both 5GHz and 2.4GHz on the same SSID expecting that to happen. Now I have separated them and my phone is on 2.4GHz and most other things on 5GHz.

Also, are there any apps that will do an internal network speed test, so I can see how the actual speed is?

Set bandwidth steering on the wireless network to prefer 5G. The Ubiquiti app on the iPhone has a throughput test.

Caporegime
anyone know how to set up a VPN on a USG running 2 AP's?

I want to ideally have 3 ssid's.

Sonny - Normal
Sonny USA - USA server VPN
Sonny UK - UK server VPN

https://community.ui.com/questions/...guration/24d73d08-b5d2-46bf-9947-36004aebaa89

that is using ssh and sending files, etc.

is there no way to do it using the controller like this thread which had multiple people failing

https://community.ui.com/questions/...N/97e293f9-a2bb-455f-8e65-7b8c8ff334d1?page=1

my vpn is surfshark

I can set up the VPN client no problem but no idea how to then assign it to a SSID in the unifi controller

Soldato
is there no way to do it using the controller like this thread which had multiple people failing

Nope. You'd have to use the CLI to setup both VPN tunnels and PBR (policy based routing).

Your best bet would be to do as @SupraWez suggested a setup 2 new VLANs. One for your UK VPN to use, the other for your US VPN to use. Then set the PBR to route traffic with a source of the UK VLAN to go out via the UK VPN and ditto for the US stuff. Then create your 2 new wireless networks which are assigned into the appropriate VLAN.

Technically it's doable but tricky. Quite how you'd do it on a USG I've no idea. You'll need to mess about with a config.gateway.json file which isn't the easiest thing. If yoyu were using a router that didn't have a maddening implementation of CLI then it probably wouldn't be all that hard.

Caporegime
I've found a way to set it up automatically on my pi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OFnqLuYZy8

So i'm just going to do it that way. thanks for the help. i'll probably get rid of the USG in a few years and replace with a dd-wrt compatible router or something. i'd like something which uses a GUI rather than commands and ssh, etc to set up more easily. plus the USG is pretty crap for what it is. their access points seem on point but their routers are pretty limited.

Soldato
I've found a way to set it up automatically on my pi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OFnqLuYZy8

So i'm just going to do it that way. thanks for the help. i'll probably get rid of the USG in a few years and replace with a dd-wrt compatible router or something. i'd like something which uses a GUI rather than commands and ssh, etc to set up more easily. plus the USG is pretty crap for what it is. their access points seem on point but their routers are pretty limited.

The USG will do almost anything you want it to, but what it can do from the GUI is relatively limited. And to make it worse, they’re not developing the USG firmware anymore. And if you think the USG is limited, don’t even think about a UDM.

Soldato
The USG will do almost anything you want it to, but what it can do from the GUI is relatively limited. And to make it worse, they’re not developing the USG firmware anymore. And if you think the USG is limited, don’t even think about a UDM.

I feel better pairing my UAPs with a pfSense router then despite the lack of more pretty graphs in the controller! It's relatively easy to do PBR on VLAN source via the Web GUI.

Soldato
And personally, I’d use Untangle given the option. Incredibly flexible router with genuine Next Generation firewall and pretty graphs.

It’s really sad how UBNT are blowing all the great reputation they built up In PtP Comms and Access Points by simply consistently underperforming in the router department.

Soldato
I bought a US-8-60W switch so I could use the PoE for my APs (got one but getting another). The switch runs red hot so is this normal? The previous TP Link switch wasn't hot at all. There's no temperature monitor on the 60W switch either so can't see how hot it is getting.

I also put the controller on a Pi I had spare and it all works fine. How do people power their Pi as I don't have a PSU for it. Is plugging into a USB port on my extension socket going to provide enough power?

Soldato
I bought a US-8-60W switch so I could use the PoE for my APs (got one but getting another). The switch runs red hot so is this normal? The previous TP Link switch wasn't hot at all. There's no temperature monitor on the 60W switch either so can't see how hot it is getting.

I'm sure it's not running red hot or it wouldn't be working. It may well be hot to the touch and that's fine. The case is the heatsink for the switch and PoE chips.

People are very often surprised at how low the actual temperature of something is when they 'feel' it's very hot. The hottest water from your tap in the house will likely be about 65C and that probably feels like it's boiling hot...

Soldato

Can you expand on that as I was thinking of getting a UDM.

Man of Honour
Can someone show me a screenshot of the configurables of a site to site VPN with the UDM? I'm interested to know what it supports. Also does the DNS work properly, as in it's easy to assign static host records? They're the two things that frustrate me about the USG.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can anyone recommend a good router with no Wifi built in? I have a small collection of AP's now that I'm using for my Wifi so just need something to do the hard wired side of things.

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a good router with no Wifi built in? I have a small collection of AP's now that I'm using for my Wifi so just need something to do the hard wired side of things.

What sort of performance do you need? What's your broadband connection? Do you need features such as QoS, IDS/IPS at line rate? I have an EdgeRouter 4 and can't fault it. But it might not necessarily be the right product for you.

Soldato
Can someone show me a screenshot of the configurables of a site to site VPN with the UDM? I'm interested to know what it supports. Also does the DNS work properly, as in it's easy to assign static host records? They're the two things that frustrate me about the USG.

I do think people get confused about the devices and the controllers. The controller with the USG is the same controller that you get with the UDM. The firmware is different, but the controller is the same. 5.13.29 is the latest version across all hardware. Ergo - if you have controller 5.13.29 then you're looking at the options on the UDM and UDM Pro.

Soldato

What sort of performance do you need? What's your broadband connection? Do you need features such as QoS, IDS/IPS at line rate? I have an EdgeRouter 4 and can't fault it. But it might not necessarily be the right product for you.

Agreed - it's impossible to recommend anything without knowing the features you want. For example, why not just turn off the WiFi on the router you have now?

Back
Top Bottom