• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Refresh) 3900XT/3800XT/3600XT

Associate
I was really hoping AMD had a surprise in store for us such as the XT series being on the optimized 2nd generation 7nm (N7P) process but it seems these are just a minor speed bump.

Caporegime
The 3800XT is the only worthwhile one, which also happens to be the worst value Zen 2 CPU out of the product stack price wise.

All in all this refresh is a bit of a bust chaps. :(
Guys come on, using a bit of common sense this was all extremely predictable from the moment the XT models were announced. What else would it be but a minor speed bump in the 6 months or so before Zen3 arrives?

Associate
Not as big of a refresh as I had hoped but might still pick up the 3600xt or 3800xt to replace my 2700x on a ch6 if they support it.

I’m not getting a 4000 series as I would need a new board and since that will probably be the last am4 release it doesn’t make sense. Will skip the 1st release on am5 as well, was an early adopter to am4 and had nothing but issues for 6 months so will wait for the gen after.

Associate
If both CCD of the 3900XT are of equal quality that could be a worthwhile improvement.
Mine is a very early chip and second CCD is a lot slower.

Associate
I miss the days when Intel were accused of milking people, so AMD have basically held back the best samples and are now going to stick a T on the end and sell them as if they're an improved chip. lol

People immediately start comparing amd with Intel. You are getting a 12 core processor for like 450 bucks. How is that like Intel?

Soldato
I miss the days when Intel were accused of milking people, so AMD have basically held back the best samples and are now going to stick a T on the end and sell them as if they're an improved chip. lol

Yes AMD obviously held back the best samples and for good reason. They have 3950X, Epyc and Threadripper to think about. Then any surplus nearing end of life went into the XT as a nice little bonus before next gen.

XT is just a mid gen little extra. Intel would have called it a whole new gen and that would be it for another year. Big difference between AMD and Intel.

Soldato
Yes AMD obviously held back the best samples and for good reason. They have 3950X, Epyc and Threadripper to think about. Then any surplus nearing end of life went into the XT as a nice little bonus before next gen.
This isn't a surplus thing, it's a node maturity thing. Simply by virtue of the 7nm node having a good year of Zen 2 chiplets put through it, the yields are better and the silicon improved. You're still going to get golden sample silicon that's reserved for EPYC and TR, it's just that the bar has been raised on baseline quality.

AMD could quite easily have just put the new silicon in the existing X line and not said a word, but given how hilarious Intel's existence is right now AMD might as well rub their faces in it every opportunity they get, and if mature 7nm chiplets can net a performance boost tangible enough to be considered a refresh then why the hell not?

And let's be honest, despite AMD's prices starting to creep up, they're nowhere near market-milking and price gouging levels just yet, so the new chiplets must give enough boost to warrant the XT line.

We'll see in July!

Associate
I'm guessing they just wanted something new for B550 buyers.

I guess if you are building a system right now, they are chips you might go for.
or they were just keeping the average selling price up on the back of free process improvements:

i don't believe they want to push the envelope here, all that is needed is a free process lift that allows them to keep the ASP static on their 'existing' SKU's.

costs them nothing, as the extra performance is supplied by better yield.
maintains revenue, as price doesn't have to drop to compete with Comedylake.
and provides a little performance bump to help ease the delay of the 4000 series.

Soldato
I have my eye on the 3800XT to go with a B550 board. See what the price is first though, 3800X is only £297 so if it's too much more it obviously won't be worth it.

Back
Top Bottom