AMD launches B550 motherboards

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
Isn't the b550 meant to be 'cheaper' than the x570?
They are, spec for spec, model for model, but this is the exact reason why I'm not listing the most expensive B550 boards. I don't see why anybody willing to spend £250+ on a board would choose B550 over X570 for the sake of another £20-30.

The fact is, the the B550 chipset is not much "cheaper" than the X570 because what it offers is so similar. As I said earlier B550 is NOT a B450 replacement, it's supposed to sit in between.

Associate
Soldato
Isn't the b550 meant to be 'cheaper' than the x570? I thought it was an inferior chipset or such? what is with the crazy prices? Aorus one for £300? why would you buy these over an x570, did I get it backwards and the b550 is the top chipset?
I was thinking the same, thought there would have been £100ish gap between the ranges. When I eventually move on probably the x570 Tomahawk or the Aourus elite for me.

Associate
These boards have confused things a bit! Asus x570 F gaming is only a tenner more than the B550 E gaming at the moment. Is there any real difference between the 2 minus the PCIe 4? Not accounting for the cashback deal going for the Asus B550 boards at the moment as I'm not sure I really need to be buying a new CPU just now.

Associate
These boards have confused things a bit! Asus x570 F gaming is only a tenner more than the B550 E gaming at the moment. Is there any real difference between the 2 minus the PCIe 4? Not accounting for the cashback deal going for the Asus B550 boards at the moment as I'm not sure I really need to be buying a new CPU just now.
Power solution 12+2 vs 14+2 for B550 E, not that it matters but always better to have more :) based on some videos already VRM temps on B550 are lower
Price you gave for X570 is without wifi, E B550 is with WiFi,
1Gbit LAN for X570, 2.5 for B550.
No led qcode screen on X570-F while there is one on B550
And this all is cheaper not just by a tenner (wifi version X570-F is like £280) :p plus you get fan on chipset for X570

Associate
Power solution 12+2 vs 14+2 for B550 E, not that it matters but always better to have more :) based on some videos already VRM temps on B550 are lower
Price you gave for X570 is without wifi, E B550 is with WiFi,
1Gbit LAN for X570, 2.5 for B550.
No led qcode screen on X570-F while there is one on B550
And this all is cheaper not just by a tenner (wifi version X570-F is like £280) :p

Hmm, thanks. I guess when you compare F for F it does make a lot more sense. Before today I was leaning towards something Gigabyte B550 but after watching a few videos about how the PCIe setup will work I'm put off. Using more than 1 M.2 will cause all to run at PCIe 3? Not sure if that's just on the B550 Master though. Choice paralysis!

Associate
Hmm, thanks. I guess when you compare F for F it does make a lot more sense. Before today I was leaning towards something Gigabyte B550 but after watching a few videos about how the PCIe setup will work I'm put off. Using more than 1 M.2 will cause all to run at PCIe 3? Not sure if that's just on the B550 Master though. Choice paralysis!

Regular B550 allows you to run one PCIE4 and one PCIE3 m.2 at the same time at full speed of 4 or 3 retrospectively.

Master will let you run three M.2 at PCIE4 at full speed at the same time, it will however reduce GPU slot from x16 to X8, which would be equal in bandwidth to current PCIE3 x16. I think it's only master like this.

Associate
Regular B550 allows you to run one PCIE4 and one PCIE3 m.2 at the same time at full speed of 4 or 3 retrospectively.

Master will let you run three M.2 at PCIE4 at full speed at the same time, it will however reduce GPU slot from x16 to X8, which would be equal in bandwidth to current PCIE3 x16. I think it's only master like this.

So something like The Aorus B550 Pro AC that has got 2 M.2 slots will run the gpu slot at PCIE4 as well as the 1st M.2 slot and then if I fit another M.2 in the 2nd slot, only that will run at PCIE3 without affecting anything else? Sorry I'm not really too well informed about all this, I'm just looking for an upgrade that will last me a good few years.

Associate
Yes you are correct.

So something like The Aorus B550 Pro AC that has got 2 M.2 slots will run the gpu slot at PCIE4 as well as the 1st M.2 slot and then if I fit another M.2 in the 2nd slot, only that will run at PCIE3 without affecting anything else? Sorry I'm not really too well informed about all this, I'm just looking for an upgrade that will last me a good few years.

Just had a look at the manual. When you install PCIe3 M.2 (second one) then one of the PCIE3 slots becomes unavailable (middle one). So there are some restrictions if you plan to install additional PCIE3 cards.

Last edited:
Soldato
AMD artificially blocked PCI-E 4.0 updates to many B450 motherboards - OEM rebranded B450 motherboards,ie,B550A could support it. So now basically just to add PCI-E 4.0 to the main slot and a single M2 slot,you are paying significantly more.

An X570 will allow dual PCI-E 4.0 M2 slots. You can get plenty of X570 motherboards for £150~£200 now.

Associate
Yes you are correct.

Just had a look at the manual. When you install PCIe3 M.2 (second one) then one of the PCIE3 slots becomes unavailable (middle one). So there are some restrictions if you plan to install additional PCIE3 cards.

Thanks for your help. I'm trying to trawl my way through all the information I can find! Being realistic, I'm not sure I'd ever need to add expansion cards. I'm a simple man :) Seeing as there's a £30 difference between the Pro AC and Strix E with their features being very similar from what I can tell, is that £30 just the usual Asus brand tax?

Back
Top Bottom