AMD launches B550 motherboards

Associate
AMD artificially blocked PCI-E 4.0 updates to many B450 motherboards - OEM rebranded B450 motherboards,ie,B550A could support it. So now basically just to add PCI-E 4.0 to the main slot and a single M2 slot, you are paying significantly more.

An X570 will allow dual PCI-E 4.0 M2 slots. You can get plenty of X570 motherboards for £150~£200 now.

I've been a little put off by all the negative talk around the chipset fans. No idea if it's really an issue at all but I'll be looking at keeping whatever board I buy for a good few years so I would be worried about something failing. The price is only a slight issue, I don't mind paying for something that will last and that will fill my very limited needs.

Associate
Thanks for your help. I'm trying to trawl my way through all the information I can find! Being realistic, I'm not sure I'd ever need to add expansion cards. I'm a simple man :) Seeing as there's a £30 difference between the Pro AC and Strix E with their features being very similar from what I can tell, is that £30 just the usual Asus brand tax?
Tbh I think it's an error :p (price for Strix E). F price is $210 and similar here in £. But E costs $280 while £240 in the UK....well good for those who planned to buy it here.

For me all Gigabyte boards are out of question for lack of front usb c connector. Pro is also lower specced in terms of power delivery, it has Bluetooth 4.2 instead of 5.1 (on the E), no screen for debug codes, but reviewers really like pro ATX and ITX version. So it's looking good. Up to what you prefer.

Soldato
Residem :

The Strix B550E Gaming has better WIFI to ie AX200 over PRO AC and nice LED display debug code on the motherboard, personally I prefer the Asus ,but then it's your money ;) .

Soldato
AMD artificially blocked PCI-E 4.0 updates to many B450 motherboards - OEM rebranded B450 motherboards,ie,B550A could support it. So now basically just to add PCI-E 4.0 to the main slot and a single M2 slot,you are paying significantly more.

AMD had to block it else they couldn't charge more!.

pretty steep rise, this is becoming very similar to what intel did to us for a decade.

People saying “not a bad price” must have gotten used to intel fleecing...

B for budget? Not anymore as these are premium prices.

Soldato
pretty steep rise, this is becoming very similar to what intel did to us for a decade.

People saying “not a bad price” must have gotten used to intel fleecing...

Considering I have seen Asrock B550 TAICHI at £305 and Gigabyte B550 Master listed at £300, they are cheap ;) .

Soldato
Asus Strix B550-F Gaming review is out https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-rog-strix-b550-f-gaming-wifi/

Additionally, VRM thermals were very good, barely exceeding 60 °C during even my VRM torture testing. ASUS has a lot of experience with this style of VRM design and knows how to design around any potential drawbacks.

The ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming is a well-rounded board with a solid feature set and competitive pricing. It may seem odd to think of an AMD "B" series motherboard as mainstream, but that is exactly what the STRIX B550-F Gaming is: a fully featured mainstream motherboard.
If you are in the market for an AM4 motherboard that doesn't break the bank, the ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming should be at the top of your list.

Associate
Was set on getting a X570 Tomahawk but now considering a B550 tomahawk instead now - don't need the wifi of the X570 and having 2 ethernet ports in the B550 would be useful to me. Thermals are comparable on both boards as well.

Soldato
I've been a little put off by all the negative talk around the chipset fans. No idea if it's really an issue at all but I'll be looking at keeping whatever board I buy for a good few years so I would be worried about something failing. The price is only a slight issue, I don't mind paying for something that will last and that will fill my very limited needs.

Can't here mine on a TUF X570 and it's about 3 ft from my head, over the gentle hum of radiator/case fans, even with the side panel off. Can see it being an issue in 5 years time when it dies, if I keep it that long :p

Associate
No wonder they wanted to drop 4000 series support from x400, was fun whilst it lasted amd

It wasn't a financial decision but a technical one. Bios memory space is limited and were not able to offer profiles for so many varieties of CPU.

Regardless, AMD backtracked and said they will offer a beta bios to verified users that will delete old Ryzen CPU support in the bios and enable 4000 series CPU support instead, so the x400 bios will be able to run these when they are released.

Associate
Regardless, AMD backtracked and said they will offer a beta bios to verified users that will delete old Ryzen CPU support in the bios and enable 4000 series CPU support instead, so the x400 bios will be able to run these when they are released.

So with this new x400 bios they enabling support for zen3 and dropping all older Ryzen cpus, or a least 3000 series will still be supported?

Back
Top Bottom