If you could change an event in your life what would it be ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
This is dead easy but it would have to be two-fold.
The original owner of OCUK asked me if I wanted to go into partnership with him but it would cost £10,000 but my reply was that everybody who wanted a PC had already got one :)
The second thing is I would have had to listen to the bloke called Mark when he joined and his ideas for the Internet which I wouldn't have done.
I'm useless.

Soldato
I'd be interested to see where I ended up if I hadn't met the woman who later became my wife at such a young age. Purely out of interest. Or if I'd stayed on at a private sixth form. But I'm happy where I am for the most part. I should probably have done a different career, but I could still do that.

Soldato
This is dead easy but it would have to be two-fold.
The original owner of OCUK asked me if I wanted to go into partnership with him but it would cost £10,000 but my reply was that everybody who wanted a PC had already got one :)
Ouch dude. :(

My class mate registered a popular 6 letter word .com about 20 years ago then sold it for a 7 figure sum 10 years later. Wish I'd taken the initiative early on.

Caporegime
Ouch dude. :(

My class mate registered a popular 6 letter word .com about 20 years ago then sold it for a 7 figure sum 10 years later. Wish I'd taken the initiative early on.

I knew of someone who bought Lloyds, Natwest, Barclays and a few other high profile .com addresses before the banks and companies knew they wanted them, many years a go.
Sure enough, the government simply said you can't have those and gave them to the relative companies with no say or compensation whatsoever.

Soldato
Hard to think of regrets if you asked me about 5 years ago it might of been to not leave the army, but fast forward now i have a fiance, a 4 bedroom house and a guinea pig. I guess it would have been to know what i wanted to do career wise sooner so i would be on good money and not be at the start of my level 6 diploma (started last week) which could take me 2 years to complete.

Man of Honour
I knew of someone who bought Lloyds, Natwest, Barclays and a few other high profile .com addresses before the banks and companies knew they wanted them, many years a go.
Sure enough, the government simply said you can't have those and gave them to the relative companies with no say or compensation whatsoever.

A 'distant' member on here did the same and I know all versions of 'AI' were in some of his and all had to be handed over unless he could prove he was going to use them.

Soldato
I'd have got my dad to pull out tbh. Life has been way too much hassle and grief and it's only getting worse these days. :D

More seriously I wish I could have joined the navy and become a search and rescue pilot but it was never going to happen. Looked at applying but medical conditions meant I was on the exclusion list.

Getting popcorn for all the dark crap that's gonna turn up in this thread :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Hard to think of regrets if you asked me about 5 years ago it might of been to not leave the army, but fast forward now i have a fiance, a 4 bedroom house and a guinea pig. I guess it would have been to know what i wanted to do career wise sooner so i would be on good money and not be at the start of my level 6 diploma (started last week) which could take me 2 years to complete.

I love that as part of yours you include having a Guinea Pig :D

Soldato
I love these sorts of discussions - For me, the person that you are right now is a combination of all of the different life events you've been through, so if you change one of those events it stands to reason that you'd also change the person you right now as well. So if you don't like "who" you are now then changing something in the past makes sense, but if you like "who" you are now then changing something in the past is a big risk.

Using @bakes0310 as the example, if he'd stayed in the Army would that mean that his current life of a fiance, house and guinea-pig "might" vanish due to his decision and would he be willing to take that risk?

Or alternatively, could changing a life event far back have a very positive effect now? So could I now be married with 2.4 kids and have won the lottery if 7yo me had been nice to my future wife and hadn't pulled her hair because I liked her and listened to my idiot mate who told me that's how to get her attention, getting me a 2 week expulsion for it? Who knows!

Permabanned
Or alternatively, could changing a life event far back have a very positive effect now? So could I now be married with 2.4 kids and have won the lottery if 7yo me had been nice to my future wife and hadn't pulled her hair because I liked her and listened to my idiot mate who told me that's how to get her attention, getting me a 2 week expulsion for it? Who knows!

Certainly has for me and I'd spent years regretting how I handled that particular event. :)

Associate
OP
Something else that does make me wonder how things would have turned out is what would have happened if my parents had decided to move from Lincolnshire in 1997 or 1998 instead of 2003.

If they had moved in 1997 my sister would have just finished her GCSE`s and in 1998 she would have been half way through her A levels and i would have been in the final 2 years of junior school.

Moving at this time would have undoubtedly have had a negative effect on herself with moving away from friends at that age and having to change schools or maby having to go to college instead.

Whereas for myself i would have been able to learn from her mistakes and improve and overtake her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom