Quote to redecorate bedroom

Soldato
£2k your having a laugh!

Take the paper off yourself
Get a plasterer to reskim the room......I would expect to pay no more than £500

Buy the paint and paint it yourself, or at least get the skim coat on. Painters around me would charge £200 labour only to paint a room. Paint would cost you £100.

I actually asked a painter and decorator (dulux award winner according to the dulux site as that's where I found him) to quote for painting a lounge, hallway, 2 landings and a bedroom. That was walls, ceiling and all woodwork expect doors and that was £600. Due to the lockdown I ended up doing it myself.

Soldato
Our plasterer charges £200 per day + materials (say £50 for a decent sized bedroom), I'd always leave the skirting on and removing the radiator is up to you - if you don't they'll go as far as they can.

Having redecorated 3 bedrooms and 2 reception rooms in the last 12 months that needed wallpaper removing, skimming and then full decorating I would have laughed if someone quoted me £2000 and we live in Surrey!

Removing wallpaper was done over a few nights - probably a couple of hours of your time.

Plasterer would be anywhere between £230 and £300 depending on the size of room (I think our most expensive bedroom was £280 and that's about 4m*4m).

Then decorating we've done ourselves, 2 mist coats, 2 normal costs - for the 4m * 4m room that's generally worked out at about 3-4 hours a coat so call it 2 days (but done during the evenings over a week or two). Probably about £50 in paint, no real prep work required due to it being a newly plastered room.

Soldato
OP
Our plasterer charges £200 per day + materials (say £50 for a decent sized bedroom), I'd always leave the skirting on and removing the radiator is up to you - if you don't they'll go as far as they can.

Having redecorated 3 bedrooms and 2 reception rooms in the last 12 months that needed wallpaper removing, skimming and then full decorating I would have laughed if someone quoted me £2000 and we live in Surrey!

Removing wallpaper was done over a few nights - probably a couple of hours of your time.

Plasterer would be anywhere between £230 and £300 depending on the size of room (I think our most expensive bedroom was £280 and that's about 4m*4m).

Then decorating we've done ourselves, 2 mist coats, 2 normal costs - for the 4m * 4m room that's generally worked out at about 3-4 hours a coat so call it 2 days (but done during the evenings over a week or two). Probably about £50 in paint, no real prep work required due to it being a newly plastered room.
Thanks for this post, that's really really useful, I think we'll go for that approach then. Do you mind trusting me your plasterer's contact details?

Soldato
OP
OK we're going to have a crack at it ourselves completely, I've already taken some lining paper off and the render looks decent underneath.

The bad sections are where there's 2 layers of lining paper so there we'll take it right back and put new lining paper, the sections that are OK we'll leave the paper on and then paint the lot. We can sand and repaint skirtings and paint the ceiling, then it's just an electrician for a few extra plugs and that's it

Also you'd be lucky to find any plaster in stock currently
This is true. In Surrey too and waiting for our plasterer to finish the work we recently had done. Been waiting a long time and all shops are bare. Wickes staff told me they get one pallet a week and it's gone by 20 minutes of opening on Monday.

BTW I had my double bedroom, hallway landing stairs, bathroom ceiling and large lounge/dining all plastered for £1.5k at the start of all this. I got lucky, but we did do a lot of the work, including wall paper removal and painting ourselves.

Dan you not remove the wallpaper? It's rather easy when you get the right tool.

Soldato
Thanks for this post, that's really really useful, I think we'll go for that approach then. Do you mind trusting me your plasterer's contact details?

Sorry, missed this the other day. I'll grab the details from my wife tomorrow if you still need / want them?

Back
Top Bottom