Help with Custom Build PC

Associate
Hi guys!

I'm looking to buy my first gaming PC and would love some help.

The main purpose of it would be for gaming - I'd like to play games on high graphics settings with consistent 120+fps. I mainly play league of legends, valorant, fortnite...etc.

I don't have a strict budget, but I'd roughly like to spend around £1100 including a monitor - I have other peripherals of keyboard/mouse etc. so that shouldn't be an issue.

Any suggestion/help would be much appreciated.
Thank you!

Associate
OP
Would it make a noticeable difference in terms of functionality if I were to increase my budget by £200-300?
If so, what components should I focus on upgrading?

Associate
OP
Would the following work? I wasn't really sure about the soundcard and network adapter - just presumed that I'd need those?

The rest was the closest I could find to what was suggested; but if I'm honest - I'm so completely new to this and don't really know what I 100% need.

And of course I'll look to get a 144Hz monitor separately.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
  • 1 x OcUK Tech Labs AMD Ryzen Midi Tower Gaming PC Configurator = £1,229.60
    • Processor:AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Six Core 4.2GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - MPK
    • Motherboard:MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX (Socket AM4) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
    • CPU Cooler:Raijintek Themis Black CPU Cooler for Ryzen
    • Optical Drive **Please Check Chassis Support**:Unwanted
    • Case Lighting: Phanteks RGB LED Strip Starter Kit (PH-LEDKT_CMBO)
    • Operating System:Microsoft Windows 10 Home Advanced - Systems
    • Build Time:Standard Build Systems - Dispatched in approx 10-15 working days
    • Memory:Team Group Vulcan Z T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit - Grey
    • Speakers:Unwanted
    • Gaming Chair:Unwanted
    • Soundcard:ASUS Xonar SE 5.1 PCI-E gaming sound card with 192kHz/24-bit Hi-Res Audio
    • Network Adapter:ASUS PCE-N15 300Mbps Wireless N PCI-E Adapter
    • Security Software:**Special Offer** Bullguard Internet Security - Anti-Virus and Security - 1 Year 3 PC
    • M.2 Solid State Drive **For Operating System If Selected**:Unwanted
    • Solid State Drive 1:WD Green 3D NAND 240GB 2.5" SATA 6Gbps Solid State Drive (WDS240G2G0A)
    • Solid State Drive 2:Unwanted
    • Mechanical Hard Drive 1:WD 1TB Blue 7200rpm 64MB Cache Internal Hard Drive (WD10EZEX)
    • Mechanical Hard Drive 2:Unwanted
    • Graphics: Powercolor Radeon RX 5700 XT Red Dragon 8GB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card
    • Headset:Unwanted
    • Monitors:Unwanted
    • Power Supply:Corsair TX650M 650W 80 Plus Gold Semi Modular Power Supply (CP-9020132-UK)
    • Keyboard:Unwanted
    • Mouse:Unwanted
    • Gaming Desk:Unwanted
    • Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400 Air Midi Tower DRGB Case - Black
Total: £1,243.70 (includes shipping: £14.10)

Soldato
Hey Sal, no you don't need a network or sound card mate - the motherboard comes with onboard sound already.

Do you need to connect via WiFi? If not then you can knock off the network adapter too, I'd definitely recommend connecting via wired Ethernet to your router if you can.

To clarify, are you looking to buy a pre-built system, rather than building your own? You can often get more bang for your buck if you can build yourself. But the pre-built prices aren't that bad though with OcUK.

Associate
OP
Heya,

I've never built anything of the sort, so I feel like getting a pre-built with the added 3-year warranty would just give me so much peace of mind. This would be the best place to do it right? (Not sure if I'm allowed to ask that question, haha)

Okay perfect, I'll take the sound card off for sure. I will need access to the WiFi unfortunately, so I'll keep that in.

Does the rest look compatible to you? I feel so completely foreign to this entire process, having only used laptops for so many years.

Soldato
Yeah it'll be 'compatible' as OcUK won't let you spec on that configurator parts that don't go together. But when you build, all the parts get their own warranty as well. Some have longer than 3 years, some less. Swings and roundabouts, depends if you want the hassle, but you would get more for your money. It's fun building, but if pre-built is what you'd rather then I'll roll with that...

What internet connection speed do you have at home? The Wireless N adapter you've picked is really old. Tbh an AC WiFi adapter will do you better justice in the long run anyway, especially if you have a 100Mb+ connection or could do in the future.

I would go for a pre-built system like the Citizen Mk2 instead, it has a better base build. I've already tweaked it to add the AC WiFi adapter, 16GB RAM upgrade, upped GPU to 5700XT, added a good 500GB SSD as your Windows/boot drive + it comes with a 2TB storage HDD already.

Bear in mind this doesn't come with a monitor, have you got extra budget on top for it now? :p

EDIT: Tbh if it's past your budget and becomes uncomfortable, the 5700XT is overkill for the games you'll be playing being honest. Something like a 1660 Super which someone else suggested first, is perfect for 1080p gaming for what you want to do with it. OcUK do a pre-built with that, and after some changes I've done it's only £903 - which frees up money for a monitor. I've added the Nvidia 1660 Super pre-built below too as a second choice.

EDIT2: Sorry forgot to add WiFi to the Nvidia build, I didn't add it on the system builder as for some reason OcUK are only offering crappy USB choices. I've added a good one to the basket, if you go for it, I'd just call OcUK after and ask if they can put it in your system when it's built?

• 1 x OcUK Gaming Citizen MK2 Gaming PC - AMD Ryzen 5 3600, RX 5500 XT 8GB Graphics = £1,178.48
    • Memory:Team Group Vulcan Z T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit - Grey
    • Graphics Card:Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT Pulse 8GB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card
    • Solid State Drive (optional):TeamGroup 500GB Vulcan SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 3D NAND Solid State Drive
    • WIFI:ADDON Wireless 11AC Dual Band 1750Mbps PCI-e Adapter (AWP1750E)
    • Operating System:Microsoft Windows 10 Home Advanced - Systems
    • Security Software:Unwanted
Total: £1,192.58 (includes shipping: £14.10)

Total: £933.95 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I did think so, but the possibilities still seem endless to a novice like me!

My internet speed is ~35Mbps, I share a house with a few friends so the router isn't anywhere near me unfortunately.

I tried to do a bit of reading about the different cases and coolers, partly because some of them are so aesthetically pleasing and I'm very easily suckered in to it! Would heating/noise be an issue with what you suggested? Or is that overall less important? Sorry for the endless questions!

Soldato
Fair enough, well if you're up for building your own - we can help spec all the nice cases you want :p

The thing with Ryzen, is AMD already provide ample coolers which work just fine for them. The chips don't run particularly that hot. Anything extra like an AIO water cooler is just for aesthetics (at the cost of ~£100ish) and a few degrees cooler in temps. So if you wanted one you're just eating into your budget, which would be better of being spent on getting you more performance i.e. better GPU/SSD/etc... :)

On the flip side, if you still want a pre-built but have seen a rather snazzy case you like - if you drop OcUK a call or webnote on the customer service forum, they are usually quite accomodating and can swap the case out where you pay the difference I imagine... As there isn't much case choice on the builder config itself.

Don't forget you can always spend the extra ££ later and retrofit an RGB CPU cooler if you're after one. You'd just have to install it yourself, but it's really not that hard :p I'd just focus on getting the best performance for your ££ atm.

Associate
OP
Ah that's really helpful! Thank you very very much. I'd certainly regret not optimising performance, so I think I'll go with what you suggested and try calling OcUK to see if they can do it in the case I want!

Muchly appreciated :D

Soldato
No worries mate, OcUK staff are quite helpful usually. Sure they'll set you on the right path.

Which one are you going for then, the AMD 5700 XT or the Nvidia 1660 Super build? Either way you'll be really happy with either :)

Edit: TBH I forgot you can just get a basket of components as listed previously, OcUK will just charge a build fee and put it all together for you (case included :p) if you have a spec you want, they can just let you know the cost on the CS forums.

Associate
OP
Definitely think I'll go for AMD 5700 XT. I feel like compared to my current Dell XPS, anything will be such a drastic improvement. I'm just wanting something that'll last me several years without having to go through this process again !

Edit: TBH I forgot you can just get a basket of components as listed previously, OcUK will just charge a build fee and put it all together for you (case included :p) if you have a spec you want, they can just let you know the cost on the CS forums.
Oh wait, really? So I don't need to do it through their specific custom build pages. Oh that gives me so much more flexibility! I'll drop them a message now.

Excited times :D

Soldato
Fair enough, the 5700 XT will serve you well for a good few years then :p

So what are you budgeting ~£1200 just the PC and components? Then a separate budget for the monitor now? Any of us here can help spec you something, Lemin has already given a good starter to go with. But your budget has gone up slightly since it seems.

Then you can just copy/paste it into the CS forum and get a quote for them to build it if you like.

What case are you after as well?

Edit: Here's what I would go with... Obviously change the case if you want something else, just make sure it's ATX and has decent airflow ;)

500GB NVMe drive for your Windows, programs and main games you play. 2TB hard drive for storage, photos, documents, etc if you need it. 3600 CPU is best bang for buck that's a given. The mobo is the best bang for buck with a 3600 at this price point. The Red Devil 5700 XT has a brilliant cooler. Then the trusty WiFi adapter. :p

Total: £1,142.79 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Last edited:
Soldato
Definitely think I'll go for AMD 5700 XT. I feel like compared to my current Dell XPS, anything will be such a drastic improvement. I'm just wanting something that'll last me several years without having to go through this process again !

Oh wait, really? So I don't need to do it through their specific custom build pages. Oh that gives me so much more flexibility! I'll drop them a message now.

Excited times :D

I just got a custom built pc from OCUK which I am about to wire up tonight when monitor is here :) only cost around £150 more for a pre-built so didn't bother me considering the parts came to a lot of money.

I called them up and they changed some parts that wasn't in the configurator but try to give them the stock code listed on the website which you'll find below the product pic on the left usually.

The above spec is nice but I would spend a bit more and go for 1TB NVME just incase you want more games installed as when new consoles out games will probably take 100gb to install more often.

Soldato
The above spec is nice but I would spend a bit more and go for 1TB NVME just incase you want more games installed as when new consoles out games will probably take 100gb to install more often.

So would I, but he’s already bordering his budget. And it’s another £70-80... That’s what SATA ports are for, you can add extra SSDs later on. :p

Back
Top Bottom