• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is it worth cashing in my 2080ti for a RTX 3080? Use a RTX 2060 in the short term?

Associate
OP
Any person who isn't extremely well off needs thier head tested if spending more than £600 on just a single brand new graphics card in this new world we live in is a sensible idea.

Agreed, but if it has to be 4k or a high 1440p FPS setup.... What else can a person buy? In the grand scheme of things, I don't smoke or drink, don't waste my money on expensive coffees everyday... Factor that in and you don't need to be well off to afford a high end graphics card, there are plenty more expensive hobbies out there that cost a lot more.

Soldato
Any person who isn't extremely well off needs thier head tested if spending more than £600 on just a single brand new graphics card in this new world we live in is a sensible idea.

I’m not extremely well off but would happily spend over £600 on a GPU if I felt it over good value for money. No Turing card did so I kept my wallet shut.

3080ti at £750 for 50% more raster than the 2080ti is my limit. Anything more than £500 for a 3070 that isn’t close to a 2080ti will have me looking at 2nd hand 2070 supers.

Associate
If you can live with the 2060 then sell. However we still dont realy know what cards are gonna be up there with a 2080ti come launch and what price, im pretty sure a 3070 should be a match for a 2080ti as they normally drop down to next gen 70's but then they may charge £600 this time around so you need to at least get back what you paid for and the sooner the better you sell up in my eyes as the price will plummet. 3070 for half the price of a 2080ti with very close peromance (not saying it will beat it but it has to be half the price)

Associate
OP
If you can live with the 2060 then sell. However we still dont realy know what cards are gonna be up there with a 2080ti come launch and what price, im pretty sure a 3070 should be a match for a 2080ti as they normally drop down to next gen 70's but then they may charge £600 this time around so you need to at least get back what you paid for and the sooner the better you sell up in my eyes as the price will plummet. 3070 for half the price of a 2080ti with very close peromance (not saying it will beat it but it has to be half the price)

Agreed, but last time round the 1080ti was kind of replaced by the rtx 2080, so it would be great if the RTX 3070 was the 2080ti replacement, as I would hope the RTX 3080 would be quite a bit more powerful than the 2080ti at around £800 ish... Still quite a lack of info out there at the moment on the release and specifications front.

Associate
Agreed, but last time round the 1080ti was kind of replaced by the rtx 2080, so it would be great if the RTX 3070 was the 2080ti replacement, as I would hope the RTX 3080 would be quite a bit more powerful than the 2080ti at around £800 ish... Still quite a lack of info out there at the moment on the release and specifications front.

Well it in theory is now a 2070s. But the super should have launch straight away. But nvidia had no competition so sponged as much money as they could with little performance gain which clearly they already had in there pockets. As soon as AMD released theres and nvidia had hard competition they had to do something. So the 2070s should have really been a 2070 at launch and on par with the 1080ti i dont think theres much init with those 2 now. Hopefully we will get some news in the next few months.

Associate
If you can 'settle' for a few months then sell now, many will be like me waiting for a 2080ti killer for 400 in q4, we will then be disappointed and Hoover up on the cheap the derth of decent cards the rich enthuastics flog off en masses for far below what you'd get now

Associate
OP
If you can 'settle' for a few months then sell now, many will be like me waiting for a 2080ti killer for 400 in q4, we will then be disappointed and Hoover up on the cheap the derth of decent cards the rich enthuastics flog off en masses for far below what you'd get now

True, fair point, I notice year-on-year, once the new cards are officially announced with a release date, cards then hit 2nd user market fairly quickly...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Considering selling mine in preparation for the 3xxx series also.

What did you decide on doing in the end?

Well, I ended up selling the RTX 2060 to my friend and picked up a used RTX 2060 super, spent Friday and Saturday using the card.....although it is a no-hassle 1440p card, my eyes like 4k...so the challenge began to tweak my games to see how close to 4k I could play my games and if I could live with the downgrade in the short term.... the fact is YES, the 2060 super OC by Gigabyte is good (2 fan version) I used various tweaks and setting optimizations such as setting the resolution to 4k and then downscaling, to say 80 percent...worked very well.

I managed to play Assassin creed odyssey in full 4k !!! Mostly with the setting on high, no scaling required, but one trick that I found really worked, was to set the HZ to 50, this made it a smooth and mostly unnoticeable judder compared with 60hz for a 4k full RES experience...I found the 2060 super could cope between 50 fps and up to 60, but it was too up and down, the 50Hz setting worked way better than setting the frame limiter to 50FPS ...not sure why, but it worked best with 60fps limit and 50hz.

Other games that worked well, DLSS 1080p upscaled to 4k in Control with ray tracing on....looked good.

Elder scrolls online....no hassle 4k

other games tested at 4k with mostly just dropping things to high and lowering AA method , helped a bunch and to be honest I was like why have I got a RTX 2080ti !!! it was good to of had the benefit of the RTX2080ti for the past number of months, then downgrading to a 2060 Super, as I was not left wondering how much better the 2080ti would be over the 2060 Super.

I also had the chance to test out a RX 5700 XT....IMHO the 2060 SUPER is the better option, with the extras such as DLSS and raytracing...the 2060 Super is very adaptable, you can be lazy and just play games at 1440p with most things whacked up to full....but have a good tweak and you can have a very good 4k gaming experience...I am super impressed.

I do see a fair few graphics cards, so I would be tempted to check out a 2070 super or a regular RTX 2080 or the Super....but I have to wait and see what comes along.

Am I going to sell my RTX 2080Ti.....I have 90 percent convinced myself, I would be mad not too, but I also like the easy low hassle of just install a game, turn on 4k and whack up the settings and play.....but the PC'er in me enjoys the tweaking of the settings to get a nice 4k experience from a card that is not really considered a 4K card.

Still a little undecided...but Yes the RTX 2060 Super is a great card, could I live with it in the short term.....no problem at all.

Last edited:
Soldato
...Still a little undecided...but Yes the RTX 2060 Super is a great card, could I live with it in the short term.....no problem at all.
The thing is you have no idea how long your 'short term' will be. Covid has changed many things and you could be waiting for a year for the 3000 series to finally get into consumer's hands.

You really only need to sell your 2080TI if you're short of cash now. I'd wager that the 2080TI will still be worth a fair bit more than you paid for it even when the 3080 arrives. I can easily see it doing pretty much what the 1080TI did and still go for 'silly' money.

If you bought it to game on it then enjoy it. If you bought it as some sort of investment then by all means sell up and by the missus some new shoes and a handbag. :p

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The thing is you have no idea how long your 'short term' will be. Covid has changed many things and you could be waiting for a year for the 3000 series to finally get into consumer's hands.

You really only need to sell your 2080TI if you're short of cash now. I'd wager that the 2080TI will still be worth a fair bit more than you paid for it even when the 3080 arrives. I can easily see it doing pretty much what the 1080TI did and still go for 'silly' money.

If you bought it to game on it then enjoy it. If you bought it as some sort of investment then by all means sell up and by the missus some new shoes and a hang bag. :p

I'm tempted to keep it, I would only be selling to bank the cash to buy one of the new range of cards from Nvidia, the misses definitely won't be getting any thing from the proceeds.. I'm a bit too tight for that... I've enjoyed tweaking the settings on the RTX 2060 super, fantastic card, very adaptable, most games I have running smoothly in 4K.

I agree with the potential for the price not to drop too much when new cards are released and that they might even be released late...but if the new 3000 cards are a fair bit faster and just a bit cheaper, then the price will flop, I would guess that a £749 or less next range of Nvidia card will match the 2080ti performance....but it might only be 8gb, with slightly better ray tracing.

Soldato
It's an easy decision to sell if you can get 900ish for the 2080 ti.

Why? There's two ways this can go right now: a) 3080 is ~= 2080 ti performance but costs the usual x80 amount which is 700ish, or b) 3080 is going to be faster than 2080 ti, and cost 700ish.

Either way, you win (but have to wait for release without the GPU).

Soldato
Selling now is the right thing, I did it with my 2070S. Got £700 (400 from GPU & 300 from BDAY) for a new GPU, if I will go new GPU (and if AMD/NV) or a console is very uncertain at the moment.

Soldato
It's an easy decision to sell if you can get 900ish for the 2080 ti.

Why? There's two ways this can go right now: a) 3080 is ~= 2080 ti performance but costs the usual x80 amount which is 700ish, or b) 3080 is going to be faster than 2080 ti, and cost 700ish.

Either way, you win (but have to wait for release without the GPU).
Remember 2080 was launched at "£750" but the short supply and price gouging etc drove the average price of it up to £799~£899? Also it was more expensive than the 1080ti that was launched at around £650~£700.

Soldato
I can't imagine needing more power than a 3080, at 4K it should run everything, I can only imagine anything higher would be for slapping AA on and maybe even going 8K?

I guess it might not hit 120Hz+ at 4K but that's not much of a concern for most people.

Back
Top Bottom