Is the forum growing?

Man of Honour
Id say it's growing. I see more new names about these days. Content wise it feels about the same as ever, a decent enough mix up of good alongside utter tripe :)

Soldato
It'd say it was growing and, if you stay outside of everything in GD, it's still an extremely knowledgable PC based forum whether it's building, modding, OC'ing, reviews etc.

Soldato
There has been a hell of a lot less "spec me an office chair" or "ive been scammed on ebay" threads. I'd say we are slowly growing as a community.

I've also noticed (finally!), that people are blocking/ignoring idiots rather than constantly replying and arguing with them. Trolls love to be fed, and I'm pleased to see less of that going on. There are still the odd ones who will continue to argue, but I put that down to boredom than anything else.

So long as the traditions are upheld (photoshop joke, queen wasp, letterbox, hovis, happy birthday, tony williams, gucci belts) were good.

Soldato
Gd is fantastic for a laugh (Gucci belt thread and the legendary habby birtdoy to name but a few) and the home and garden forum is great to get a bit of advice on something.

Im not sure if its growing or shrinking but i just hope it never changes.

Soldato
Peaked in its 2000s - Its been on a slope since then with better methods of communication such as Reddit coming along.
Never found it too great when it was in its prime as the mods are usually power hungry and the user base can be unfriendly to newcomers.

Man of Honour
the quality of the forum has plummeted , it has declined steadily over the years ,imho . pointless doing any post with any thought or intelligence , gravitas stick to what colour socks do you wear or slimier and you will get some replies ,maybe when the schools fully open the iq will rise again ,feel like a racehorse amongst donkeys in some threads ,just saying

To be honest, the forum, as with many others as always been this way. This happens when different people, with different views, interests, opinions, sense of humour etc can express feely behind a wall on animosity. We all have a choice to participate or otherwise. For me, that's always been the attraction. We try and keep the subjects of the specific forum on topic as much as possible.

Peaked in its 2000s - Its been on a slope since then with better methods of communication such as Reddit coming along.
Never found it too great when it was in its prime as the mods are usually power hungry and the user base can be unfriendly to newcomers.

Whilst I agree that during the period you mention, there were some characters around, but this was really before other social media streams took off, so it was a unique experience then.

As for mod power, I'm not sure I agree. Whilst I agree it once had a heavy hand approach, the mod team has made a conscientious effort to be transparent and fair. Whilst it might appear that actions taken are on an individual basis, mostly all actions are agreed with the team first, removing the individual power you mention. We follow carefully written guidelines to give everyone a fair chance but come down on those that continue to ignore and break the rules.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think it's changed much, building a PC is a piece of cake compared to 15 years ago so a lot of the more technical threads aren't needed anymore, probably one of the main reasons people gravitate to bickering in GD/speakers corner.

Associate
I don't think it's changed much, building a PC is a piece of cake compared to 15 years ago so a lot of the more technical threads aren't needed anymore, probably one of the main reasons people gravitate to bickering in GD/speakers corner.

Tell that to The Verge!

Permabanned

Lets ban all the technical threads and all threads about any technology at all, including the support threads. Forum needs more politics.

Soldato
At 146,087 members today, it's certainly grown. It's not what it was 10-15 years ago, but that's to be expected really. All us longer timers have grown up, many of us have left or passed away (including our beloved overlord Spie), or been perma'd (bring back dvdbunny!), and an influx of young 'uns all adds to the mix. Times change (unfortunately).

Back
Top Bottom