Football and the Coronavirus

Don
Seems bloody unfair for teams to have played away, then can’t play at home
It comes back to the same discussions we had in this thread about the PL for the past couple of months. Nothing will be 100% fair other than playing in home stadiums and with fans but that isn't possible so you have two choices, end the competition or use the least unfair option. Playing the 2nd legs of the round of 16 in Portugal isn't fair but it's fairer and better for everybody than not playing the games at all.

Soldato
It appears that current round will be normal home/away ties, then final 8 will be mini tournament. Apart from the massive gap between 1st and 2nd legs in this round I cant see a better way for them to do it.

Edit - even the Official CL website has the Man City game at the Etihad.

Soldato
I quite like the crowd noise, it’s better than nothing, it hides the echo and it’s not loud enough to be weird. Also, thank god we won’t hear “chelsea... Chelsea... CHELSEA...” for the rest of the season. Silver linings... :)

Caporegime
Let’s not start an argument, just asking for opinions, what do you think of the Premier leagues decision to replace all player names on shirts with Black Lives Matter for the first 12 games of the restart.

Personally, I think it’s a bit far. If there was a precedent I’d understand, but this has never been done in the history of the premier league. There must be better ways to promote BLM.

Bit of a double standard considering the fuss that otherwise gets made over politics... for example wearing the Poppy - which arguably isn't really all that political. edit - granted I'm conflating this with the fuss over FIFA rules rather than FA rules, poppy isn't a good example here.

I don't have an issue with the statement "black live matter" - the people who get worked up over that and feel the need to reply with "all lives matter" seem to have missed the point completely, the organisation however is rather dubious and seemingly influenced/controlled to some extent by some hard left/marxist types.

If they were to go with an anti racism message then perhaps the show racism the red card campaign would have been a better choice.

Frankly if they're going to celebrate something or draw attention to something at the moment then perhaps the NHS/Coronavirus might have been an even better choice still rather than feeling they must do something because angry mobs have been triggered after an incident involving someone in another country the other side of the world....

Last edited:
Soldato
Bit of a double standard considering the fuss that otherwise gets made over politics... for example wearing the Poppy - which arguably isn't really all that political. edit - granted I'm conflating this with the fuss over FIFA rules rather than FA rules, poppy isn't a good example here.

I don't have an issue with the statement "black live matter" - the people who get worked up over that and feel the need to reply with "all lives matter" seem to have missed the point completely, the organisation however is rather dubious and seemingly influenced/controlled to some extent by some hard left/marxist types.

If they were to go with an anti racism message then perhaps the show racism the red card campaign would have been a better choice.

Frankly if they're going to celebrate something or draw attention to something at the moment then perhaps the NHS/Coronavirus might have been an even better choice still rather than feeling they must do something because angry mobs have been triggered after an incident involving someone in another country the other side of the world....

It would be more logical for it to say "Black Lives Matter Too" as then the "All Lives Matter" response wouldnt be needed. Whoever came up with BLM didnt think it through.
However the probably dismissed BLMT as it sounds too much like a sandwich.

For balance they should have had "Thankyou NHS" on the back.

Caporegime
It would be more logical for it to say "Black Lives Matter Too" as then the "All Lives Matter" response wouldnt be needed. Whoever came up with BLM didnt think it through.
However the probably dismissed BLMT as it sounds too much like a sandwich.

For balance they should have had "Thankyou NHS" on the back.

The kind of people that say all lives matter as a response would just find another way to put the issue down, regardless of name. That is the way institutional racism works.

Soldato
In my opinion saying All Lives Matter is not a racist comment. It should be a fact of reality and taken as read. I dont see it as a put down of saying Black Lives Matter.

If I was an alien coming to Earth and saw chants for Black Lives Matter I would think poor everyone else dont they matter ?

Back
Top Bottom