• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Soldato
Do the following please. It is a bit of pain but you need to go back to step 2 after memtest has passed.

btw the mentest you ram I assume is DOS based not windows based and two passes have been done?

Update your bios from MSI
clear CMOS
Leave bios setting on stock including ram setting
Wipe your windows and install fresh copy
Install latest drivers (leave your GPU driver not updated so windows use crappy driver for now)
run your stress test with CPUz and Hardware info at the same time.

when using Aida make sure you select the option for CPU only. I can’t remember the exact tests but it’s self explanatory

when using prime OCCT use the appropriate tests

Once those tests passed you know your CPU RAM are ok then update GPU driver and do a set of GPU benches and stress tests

if all passes then start to overclock and run the tests again to achieve stable condition.

if in any of the initial testing anything fails if means something is wrong at hardware level. Each test is focused on 1 component at a time so if it fails you know which component it is. However the common components to PC is the motherboard and PSU. So if any tests fail you cannot rule out either.

If you got a spare PSU then it is very easy to find out if the PSU is faulty.

If say CPU fails stress testing at all stock setting, it may be bad CPU or motherboard, so try resit your CPU and heatsink and reapply your thermal paste do the tests again. If still not working then I would RMA both components. Similarly for ram GPU

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi all.

Thanks for the responses. For the time being, I appear to have fixed the issue. Updating the chipset drivers, locking the CPU at 3.6GHz and setting the heatsink to 100% at all times has definitely helped.

Will give Prime95 a go and planning to benchmark and stress the GPU later. However, it does pass an Aida64 stress test just fine.

Will update later.

Associate
OP
Hi again.

All was great yesterday, no problems whatsoever. Ran CPU stress tests for several hours, tested some games, ran Heaven for the GPU and no issues.

however, this morning I launched the PC, opened Aida64, and before I could even click start the PC rebooted itself.

it hasn’t happened again since. Should I be concerned? Reminder that this PC isn’t for me.

Soldato
Yes, you should be concerned, that isn't normal behaviour. If you can't have the system running normally without restricting the clock speed, or limiting it in any other way there is a fault.

Try running a live USB, like Linux Mint etc to see if that behaves when the system is set up 'normally' and if not you've ruled out the SSD, and the O/S install. It sounds very RAM/PSU, with an outside chance of it being the motherboard.

Associate
OP
Yes, you should be concerned, that isn't normal behaviour. If you can't have the system running normally without restricting the clock speed, or limiting it in any other way there is a fault.

Try running a live USB, like Linux Mint etc to see if that behaves when the system is set up 'normally' and if not you've ruled out the SSD, and the O/S install. It sounds very RAM/PSU, with an outside chance of it being the motherboard.
Thanks. I’ll be honest, I’ve got no idea what I’m doing with Linux. Is there any other way I can test the SSD for faults?

I’ve already tested the RAM and it seems fine. I suppose it could be PSU, but again how do I test that?

Soldato
Thanks. I’ll be honest, I’ve got no idea what I’m doing with Linux. Is there any other way I can test the SSD for faults?

I’ve already tested the RAM and it seems fine. I suppose it could be PSU, but again how do I test that?

Well this is the crux of the problem when you are building machine without spare parts and tools to test with, if you find a faulty part it is hard to locate it and verify you've found the issue.

I'd normally offer to look at it if you live local, as I am happy to help other forum users out, but you'd not be able to come in due to virus restrictions still in place. :(

I don't think you really need any experience with linux at all, since Mint works just like Windows on the surface. All you do is create a bootable USB stick, and it will run the O/S from that, you can then connect to your network and download Prime95 etc. then run it.

Associate
OP
Well this is the crux of the problem when you are building machine without spare parts and tools to test with, if you find a faulty part it is hard to locate it and verify you've found the issue.

I'd normally offer to look at it if you live local, as I am happy to help other forum users out, but you'd not be able to come in due to virus restrictions still in place. :(

I don't think you really need any experience with linux at all, since Mint works just like Windows on the surface. All you do is create a bootable USB stick, and it will run the O/S from that, you can then connect to your network and download Prime95 etc. then run it.
I’ll try and watch a few videos and give it a go. The problem is these crashes seem not to happen very often, so I might not be able to get it to crash with Linux.

Associate
OP

Have tried to use CrystalDiskInfo and CrystalDiskMark and all seems okay.

I’m getting similar speeds each time I run it so no signs of inconsistency. I do have my own personal system I could test the power supply on, but it’s a lot beefier than this one and I’m not sure 650W will be enough.

Soldato
I sounds like motherboard, PSU, potentially RAM. If new SSD it is very rarely a problem.

Don’t know if you had formatted and reinstalled windows. If the system was not stable at the time of Install it will always be problematic.

anyway it is not common to have multiple components broken as they are all new parts.

something isn’t right. If you got a spare PSU you can certainly test it to rule out PSU issue.

if SMART info is not giving you anything on the SSD then it is highly unlikely the SSD is at fault.

I would focus on RAM, CPU and Motherboard.

with ram you can test individual sticks at a time running single channel and also different dim slots.

Associate
OP
I sounds like motherboard, PSU, potentially RAM. If new SSD it is very rarely a problem.

Don’t know if you had formatted and reinstalled windows. If the system was not stable at the time of Install it will always be problematic.

anyway it is not common to have multiple components broken as they are all new parts.

something isn’t right. If you got a spare PSU you can certainly test it to rule out PSU issue.

if SMART info is not giving you anything on the SSD then it is highly unlikely the SSD is at fault.

I would focus on RAM, CPU and Motherboard.

with ram you can test individual sticks at a time running single channel and also different dim slots.
I was thinking the same. I have memtested the RAM though and it came back fine.

I’ll try a fresh windows install. Do I need to chose the option to completely clean the drive or can I keep installed files and games etc?

Associate
I've seen something elsewhere about a 3600 system which kept crashing- turns out the mobo was undervolting the CPU at times, causing it to trip over.
Might be worth trying mid-level load-line calibration (LLC) in BIOS. What that wouldn't do is help your temps, but stress-testing with a stock cooler is always going to be right on the edge anyway.

Back
Top Bottom