£900,000 to paint a plane?

Associate
What they don't explain is that aircraft are routinely repainted every 5-10 years. The maintenance of military aircraft is extremely expensive, and this is no exception. I feel many people are simply seeing "Boris spends £££££££ on XYZ", look/think no deeper and become outraged. It's a shame because journalists could have done some research and explained this in their articles, but it wouldn't have received the same amount of clicks and shares so they didn't, and now individuals who have otherwise relatively sound judgement have had the wool pulled over their eyes.

I know of other military paint contracts where the term is payed upfront.
If you don't use up your moneys worth, you don't get a refund.
That's how fancy painted fast jets often don't cost anything extra to the tax payer.

Caporegime
What they don't explain is that aircraft are routinely repainted every 5-10 years. The maintenance of military aircraft is extremely expensive, and this is no exception. I feel many people are simply seeing "Boris spends £££££££ on XYZ", look/think no deeper and become outraged. It's a shame because journalists could have done some research and explained this in their articles, but it wouldn't have received the same amount of clicks and shares so they didn't, and now individuals who have otherwise relatively sound judgement have had the wool pulled over their eyes.

Spot on. This is likely just a regular airframe inspection with some bits thrown in whilst they’re at it.

Shame the press suck at being the press nowadays.

Tea Drinker
Don

Don't let facts get the way of a good story :p

Soldato
No one mentioned how much it costs to renew the grey paintjob. Which will need redoing anyway. Next to the cost of a new plane its peanuts.

Associate
It might very well be at extra cost, but we won't know until the full figures come out

"Labour questioned why the government was spending nearly a million pounds "redecorating a plane which in all likelihood has been grounded for months because of the coronavirus".

Unlikely to be grounded as it is also a tanker, which are regularly used to support military operations.

Associate
It surely can't be used in it's actual role when repainted? Don't think I've ever heard of Union Jack camo. :p
I don't see any reason it couldn't continue it's role if taking off from non hostile countries.
Doing circles high in the air with a union Jack is a lot less conspicuous than landing in foreign nations with one.

Tea Drinker
Don
"Labour questioned why the government was spending nearly a million pounds "redecorating a plane which in all likelihood has been grounded for months because of the coronavirus".

Because it's grounded and it's a good time to complete these tasks. If it were flying not only would they have the cost of the repaint and refitting they would have the cost of uber777 on top.

Do you every put 2 & 2 together?

Associate
Because it's grounded and it's a good time to complete these tasks. If it were flying not only would they have the cost of the repaint and refitting they would have the cost of uber777 on top.

Do you every put 2 & 2 together?

I don't know what have inferred from my post, but I'm sure you've got it wrong

Soldato
Hahaha yeah you got him there! Someone posting on an internet forum after googling "paint plane cost", prefacing with "apparently" is a reliable way of estimating a non comparable, bespoke job!

Bearing in mind it's a Govt procurement from what I assume is a private company, are you really trying to say they would have got 'value for money'?

I thought it was standard practice for private firms to fleece any Govt contract :p

Back
Top Bottom