£900,000 to paint a plane?

Soldato
If it was some horse-drawn carriage turning up in a colony, where the mud-covered locals would be in awe of this fabulous splendour, then I'm sure it would fit their thinking behind it perfectly.

Perfect timing to get this stuff done, but I'm hardly expecting some paint job to paint over any cracks they're hoping to mend. As the bumbling fool would say himself, if you want trade deals, then get on with it.

Soldato
(Although it's a bit galling to hear Brexiteers (who screamed about paying Brussels without acknowledging what an incredible return on investment those payments constituted) now trying to tell us the paint job is an investment, and will make us back money in trade).

Irony of sticking a British flag on an aircraft from a European company

I wonder if Brexists are going to want a rename of the "Euro"Fighter Typhoon as well :D

I also wonder if they'll get the colours right this time unlike the "blue" passport :p

Soldato
I'm looking forward to seeing it emblazoned in red, white and blue, doing it's other job of mid-air refuelling. Perhaps it can moonlight for the Red Arrows?

Soldato
Bearing in mind it's a Govt procurement from what I assume is a private company, are you really trying to say they would have got 'value for money'?

I thought it was standard practice for private firms to fleece any Govt contract :p

It’s probably been outsourced to a company that’s never painted anything before :D

Soldato
OP
Hahaha yeah you got him there! Someone posting on an internet forum after googling "paint plane cost", prefacing with "apparently" is a reliable way of estimating a non comparable, bespoke job!
"No one mentioned" is what he claimed. Not the forensic accounting you seem to feel entitled to.

Man of Honour
"No one mentioned" is what he claimed. Not the forensic accounting you seem to feel entitled to.
I think you mean "No one mentioned how much it costs to renew the grey paintjob." as in, this job. Not another job. I'm not, nor do I feel entitled to anything :confused:

Bearing in mind it's a Govt procurement from what I assume is a private company, are you really trying to say they would have got 'value for money'?

I thought it was standard practice for private firms to fleece any Govt contract :p

Oh it absolutely is, in the past at least. Now things are generally done on a target/deliverable as opposed to cost plus basis.

Soldato
It is going to be embarrassing watching ministers flying around in this thing and getting shafted trying to sign trade deals. I am just picturing Boris flying to somewhere like India or China, where we already have a bad rep due to empire, and he arrives in a plane with a massive british flag, subtext "I'm a *******!"

Best to leave the plane on the runway in Brexitland, if we want to be taken seriously anywhere.

Maybe it could be used to fly in the chlorinated chicken?

Soldato
Most other countries have planes dedicated to shuttling around VIPs and we have a plane that shared with the Military for military duties as well as well as transporting the PM.

I think we have spent the money wisely.

Permabanned
I can get tins of paint down The Range for about a tenner a pop, how many would I need to paint an aircraft?

Just wondering if the contract is open to offers. I reckon I could do the job for less than 900k.

Man of Honour
What they don't explain is that aircraft are routinely repainted every 5-10 years. The maintenance of military aircraft is extremely expensive, and this is no exception. I feel many people are simply seeing "Boris spends £££££££ on XYZ", look/think no deeper and become outraged. It's a shame because journalists could have done some research and explained this in their articles, but it wouldn't have received the same amount of clicks and shares so they didn't, and now individuals who have otherwise relatively sound judgement have had the wool pulled over their eyes.
Completely agree. Considering the high profile people who will be using the aircraft I would imaging it's also not a typical paint but something with very anti-radar properties. It should also be kept in mind that tight security would need to be in place during the painting to ensure no bugs or trackers are smuggled onboard. So the cost will probably include those security measures as well. This is not like taking your car into the local body shop.

Associate
Completely agree. Considering the high profile people who will be using the aircraft I would imaging it's also not a typical paint but something with very anti-radar properties. It should also be kept in mind that tight security would need to be in place during the painting to ensure no bugs or trackers are smuggled onboard. So the cost will probably include those security measures as well. This is not like taking your car into the local body shop.
I'm not so sure about the anti-radar paint thing.
But even if that were the case, surely the bog standard grey livery would be the same already.

Soldato
I bet its not 900k for just paint. Just repainting it as part of 900k being spent on it. The press love to gloss over the details.

Caporegime
Where's Corbyn anyway? Isn't he supposed to be telling us that we could feed a billion illegal immigrants and send them to riot training for that money?

Back
Top Bottom