LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Associate
I second all of those ‘good’ comments Caff. I haven’t tried any tv watching so can’t comment on the free view, etc comments.

I also upgraded from 40" Philips BDM4065UC! It’s now my second monitor to one side. They’re both quite similar in the sense that they have nice deep black (relatively so on the Philips, obviously it’s not OLED) and slightly glossy screen.

I have really settled in with the LG CX 48, it’s awesome.

Soldato
Posting this text from another thread but have been running on an LG CX 48 since this Sunday afternoon. Holy shootballs, what an amazing gaming 'monitor'...!.

Took some serious setting up and settings tinkering, however. Windows is pretty much ok (some slightly funny text but this is due to the fact it's a tv) but I think it's very usable, after a couple of days working on it during lockdown work-from-home and I find it’s great. Lovely, spacious, expansive....

Sounds good. Any pictures please, including a side on desk view. Currently have an 80cm deep desk, looking at possibly going to 90cm for this.

Thanks.

Soldato
@Dirk Diggler I haven't tested it, I bought this primarily as a gaming monitor, I'm sure it works though. Maybe someone else can test it?

Sounds good. Any pictures please, including a side on desk view. Currently have an 80cm deep desk, looking at possibly going to 90cm for this.

Thanks.

I'm using a 80cm desk and it's fine. 90cm might be better though if you have space. From experience of going up to 40", you soon get used to a large screen, even at such close proximity.

Slightly side shot showing front edge of desk (I could move the screen back further but I haven't finished cable management):
PI33w4F.jpg

What you'll see face on (taken from where my head is, 70cm from screen):
3SP1Htz.jpg

A few tricks/info for using a large screen:

• Recline your chair back slightly, this helps add distance to the screen.
  • For web browsing or documents, snap windows to fill the middle 2/3rds of the screen (i.e. leaving gaps on the side) using Powertoys (free Microsoft tool). This stops you having to move your head left & right to read.
  • For games, most of the action happens in the centre of the screen. If you need to look to the left or right of the screen, you'd turn your head at maximum 10 degrees.
  • I'd recommend a custom TV stand though to allow you to both lift the screen up, and more importantly push as far back as possible to the wall. I'm using a Fitueyes but there are other cheap £25 options available. Not sure I like this one as it has a shiny tempered glass base which I'm sure is just going to collect dust :D

Soldato
@Dirk Diggler I haven't tested it, I bought this primarily as a gaming monitor, I'm sure it works though. Maybe someone else can test it?

I'm using a 80cm desk and it's fine. 90cm might be better though if you have space. From experience of going up to 40", you soon get used to a large screen, even at such close proximity.

Slightly side shot showing front edge of desk (I could move the screen back further but I haven't finished cable management):
A few tricks/info for using a large screen:
  • Recline your chair back slightly, this helps add distance to the screen.
  • For web browsing or documents, snap windows to fill the middle 2/3rds of the screen (i.e. leaving gaps on the side) using Powertoys (free Microsoft tool). This stops you having to move your head left & right to read.
  • For games, most of the action happens in the centre of the screen. If you need to look to the left or right of the screen, you'd turn your head at maximum 10 degrees.
  • I'd recommend a custom TV stand though to allow you to both lift the screen up, and more importantly push as far back as possible to the wall. I'm using a Fitueyes but there are other cheap £25 options available. Not sure I like this one as it has a shiny tempered glass base which I'm sure is just going to collect dust :D

OR get a smaller monitor for less money.....and pull it closer to you. Then do the same :D

Soldato
Hey @caff which desktop stand are you using with it? Thanks.

It's called (wait for it...)

FITUEYES Universal Table Top TV Stand Pedestal Bracket for 26" - 55" Screen 6 Levels Height Adjustable Cable Management Holds 40kgs Glass Base Max. VE

Bear in mind there are similar priced models that have a matt black/dark feel that might not collect as much dust as this glass one! Anyway, enjoy if you get this TV.

Associate
I'm sitting 1 meter away so that's what works for me - zoom etc. feels fine.

I do have an issue that every time I bring the machine out of sleep and turn the monitor back on the screen bounds are off (I lose about 10% of the sides of the screen) and I have to re-apply the resolution to get everything displaying. Which is annoying and I hope will be fixed when they update the screen to actually have a functioning PC mode.

Associate
What do you mean by 10% loss, Mr.Carrot? I have a small black band around the image where the pixels don't meet the physical bezel / edge of the monitor, but i thought this was normal. Is that what you mean? It's about 10mm.

Associate
Hmmm, this looks amazing.
Looking around the site at alternatives as I would have bought a 34GN850 if they were in stock.
However when they are almost 1k and could get one of these with corporate discount for £1,380 it makes me think!?

I've seen the bundle with PS4 Pro and spider man for only £150 more too, so could sell my original PS4 (Shame PS5 out soon), so that would be £1,516

Or wonder if best to wait for Black Friday Sales and see what new cards and processors come out.
I'm sure 4k would kill my i7 2600k and Vega 56.

Does this have Display Port connection? Wondering if Vega 56 will be limited.

So many choices and confused. I'm wanting to chnge from my 22" 1080p for some more immersion, however most options become very expensive.

Associate
What do you mean by 10% loss, Mr.Carrot? I have a small black band around the image where the pixels don't meet the physical bezel / edge of the monitor, but i thought this was normal. Is that what you mean? It's about 10mm.

So when my comp comes out of sleep the bounds of the screen are not in the display area. So imagine the start button is only just on screen, menu bars etc at the top are off the displayed screen etc.

Soldato
So when my comp comes out of sleep the bounds of the screen are not in the display area. So imagine the start button is only just on screen, menu bars etc at the top are off the displayed screen etc.

Have you turned "Just Scan" to "on" rather than Auto? This eliminated any overscan completely for me. Go to All Settings -> Picture -> Aspect Ratios -> Just Scan -> Set to "On". You might need to do this for all HDMI inputs you have connected.

Soldato
Does this have Display Port connection? Wondering if Vega 56 will be limited.

So many choices and confused. I'm wanting to chnge from my 22" 1080p for some more immersion, however most options become very expensive.

No Displayport, only HDMI 2.1 connectors so I think you'd have to wait until later this year for the newest 30xx-series Nvidia cards, which will only add to your costs assuming they launch around £700-£900.

Back
Top Bottom