Dashcams!

Associate
I'm looking at the Blackvue DR900S 2 Channel so front and rear camera is this the best system to get or should I be looking at someone else? for front and rear camera

Thanks

I find it difficult to imagine spending £400 on a Dashcam, however, I've now had my DR650GW-2CH system for ~5 years now and it's still going strong, so it's been great value for money really.

The video quality is great, wifi connection can be a bit intermittent but I guess the 900 is going to improve on it in all areas.

Soldato
I have already tried to look in the massive dash-cam thread that already exists and after looking through a good couple of hundred posts didn't really glean anything useful, so i would kindly request that the mods please don't merge this thread with that one if possible please.

I am on the verge of buying another car and wanted to fit a decent (reliable dashcam) I previously bought a cheapish one, on recommendations from "that" thread and it failed around 11 months in to its life, took me 3 months to get a replacement from the company in america only for the 2nd one to fail in exactly the same way a couple of months later.

I don't mind spending £100 or so if I need to,
requirements are
- front and rear cameras
- small footprint, current one has a big screen on it and hangs below the rear view mirror and is annoying, would like the next one to be fairly discrete if that is possible.

I am not sure what else I need to look for in a dash cam if I am honest.

cheers

Associate
The only thing I could reasonably recommend in that budget is the Aukey Dual at around £108 plus an SD card. No personal experience but they are a decent brand and all the reviews seem to be initially positive.

My opinion would be to up the budget a little though and get something tried and tested. £100 isn't much for both front and back cameras, a decent front facing one is usually around that much on it's own.

Soldato
The only thing I could reasonably recommend in that budget is the Aukey Dual at around £108 plus an SD card. No personal experience but they are a decent brand and all the reviews seem to be initially positive.

My opinion would be to up the budget a little though and get something tried and tested. £100 isn't much for both front and back cameras, a decent front facing one is usually around that much on it's own.
I'm open to be educated, I'll likely keep the car at least 5 years anyway.
I know very little about them to be fair

Soldato
My son has the Blackvue 4K 2 channel dashcam, has it professionally fitted and to date its killed his battery more then once, killed his endurance as card within months and has now started to overheat. It’s been sent back to the official distributor who incidentally also installed it and their level of CS is just plain rubbish. No comms from them unless you chase and hassle them.

Soldato
Any thoughts on the triple camera dashcams? I know they're really aimed at taxi drivers, but one that shows the car's interior might protect you from police claims that you weren't wearing a seatbelt or similar. And be better at recording internal audio.

More usefully, I'm thinking it might help me to better teach my nephew to drive if I can review my own actions and guidance.

Underboss
My son has the Blackvue 4K 2 channel dashcam, has it professionally fitted and to date its killed his battery more then once, killed his endurance as card within months and has now started to overheat. It’s been sent back to the official distributor who incidentally also installed it and their level of CS is just plain rubbish. No comms from them unless you chase and hassle them.

im assuming parking mode ?

yes it WILL kill the battery
ive said this time and time again
get a battery pack like a cellink fitted
i have, problems went away !

Man of Honour

Funny thing is I tried a couple of highly recommended endurance SD cards and they were throwing up write errors within 2-3 months - using cheapy (older) Kingston ones and they've been holding up months fine - I don't expect them to last forever though. The modern endurance ones I'm sure have lower rated write cycles than older SD cards though - looks like they are being a bit crafty with modern ones and just shuffled the product stack downwards :(

Back
Top Bottom