2019 is now problematic

Caporegime
Yep, a white lady playing a Latino.

Aladdin might be because of this:

https://www.vox.com/2019/5/24/18635896/disney-live-action-aladdin-controversy-history

The amount of petty nonsense people get worked up about now is rather ridiculous. It’s not like it’s set in a specific country either, for example the idea that a princess wants to marry for love and is being oppressed etc.. isn’t a racist stereotype or orientalism it’s pretty true to life for various princesses living in Arab states today even just as it has been for European princesses a few generations ago too.

Caporegime
OCUK avatars are all white people, seems racist to me I want Eddie Murphy as mine!

Damn this is pretty easy seeing racism everywhere, change it now you white supremacist Nazi's! Whooa, I feel so powerful.

Caporegime
White "characters"? Surely if it's a fictional character it doesn't matter much what race they are.

Unless the fictional character is a white supremacist or a black slave

What...even when source material and previous portrayals show them as white?

There have been multiple issues when characters from Asian comics or stories have been played by white individuals. Or even characters written as Asian or black in western stories.
Even Ed Skrein from Hellboy.

Caporegime
I googled it, That's because they were massively under-represented compared with the population

i.e. roles for black or minority actors in hollywood were massively lower than the actual population of the USA.

3.8.ae_.hollywooddiversityreport2018-02.png

If it was more even, I doubt it would be an issue at all.

Permabanned
Hollywood and the movie industry in general are, and have always been, money led, and if they thought their audiences wanted to see more black or minority actors and actresses in lead roles they could and would oblige, so one has to presume the paying customer generally wants to watch films about mainly white characters.

Caporegime
Hollywood and the movie industry in general are, and have always been, money led, and if they thought their audiences wanted to see more black or minority actors and actresses in lead roles they could and would oblige, so one has to presume the paying customer generally wants to watch films about mainly white characters.

That was the thinking in Hollywood studio circles, yes.

Until this came along and made them realise they were wrong: https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/rl2992866817/

Don
Yeah....I thought he was an Indian guy too until I read this thread today!

+1 - mind completely blown

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-53060894

Rice krispies now institutionally racist!

Always thought they were elves on the box with their pointy ears and ability to fly but what do I know..

Elf racism guilt starts here

I'm more concerned that Uncle Ben's may be rebranded
https://www.theguardian.com/busines...ice-firm-to-scrap-brand-image-of-black-farmer

Soldato
I don't think Black Panther is a great example. It's another marvel movie just with a majority black cast. Any marvel film has been a license to print money the past few years regardless of quality. (The film itself is fine not the best marvel film not the worst either)

Soldato
Wow, need to re-watch that old classic, don't remember the crows saying the N word back in the day. :D:D

Maybe if they remake it they can use rap-stars as it's ok for then to say the n word and talk about abusing women, that's keep the woke folk happy, right!!!!

My wife loves watching the original Dumbo. I've seen it about 6 times in the last couple of years and we both really love the crow scene. I've never once thought it was racist :eek:

walks out singing "But I'd be done seen about everything, when I see an elephant fly"

Caporegime
I don't think Black Panther is a great example. It's another marvel movie just with a majority black cast. Any marvel film has been a license to print money the past few years regardless of quality. (The film itself is fine not the best marvel film not the worst either)

I'm not so sure about that.

GOTG Vol II (Sequel) - $863.8 million box office
Spider Man: Homecoming (beloved character) - $880.2 million
Thor: Ragnarok (established characters) - $854 million
Black Panther (1 previous appearance) - $1.34 billion

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Black_Panther_box_office_achievements

Man of Honour
My wife loves watching the original Dumbo. I've seen it about 6 times in the last couple of years and we both really love the crow scene. I've never once thought it was racist :eek:

walks out singing "But I'd be done seen about everything, when I see an elephant fly"

I think the feeling is that the crow characters represent negative black stereotypes. It's not about anyone "saying the N word" as plasmahal said.

Personally I'm not bothered.

Back
Top Bottom